CVO Technical > Wheels/Tires/Suspension/Brakes

Front forks rebuild?

<< < (3/3)

pauly_2:
Hi HogMike,

Sounds like a good plan. FWIW, I rebuilt my old bikes forks, and put 7.5 w oil in them. It transformed the front suspension to something that was plush, and sort of matched the excellent Legend revo shocks it had.

Thanks
Pauly

--- Quote from: HOGMIKE on November 22, 2023, 06:40:33 AM ---At this point I’m not sure about spending $1000.00 + or - on front suspension as the stock system seemed to work fairly well so far.
My current plan is a rebuild kit (HD) and 10w oil.
If that doesn’t work for me, I’ll bite the bullet and spring for Legends.
Only reason for that is a pair of their shocks in the future if my present shocks die.

8)

--- End quote ---

pauly_2:
Hi again,

I (finally) got to take the bike for a ride today with the Bitubo fork cartridges installed. In short, it’s way better. Like I would expect an expensive bike suspension to be. Admittedly this ride was short (about 70 ks), and solo (most riding is with a pillion), but I could feel the front end was more in tune with the new RWD shocks on the rear. All the harshness of the front end is gone. I probably have a few fine adjustments to make once I ride 2 up, but the improvements are immediately apparent.
If these things last a while, they will have been money well spent.

Thanks
Pauly

--- Quote from: GKroadking on November 21, 2023, 04:35:44 AM ---Hi,

that's amazing, I also ordered the Bitubo cartridges for the front fork this week. Installation is planned for the end of the year.

At the rear I have the adjustable HD 772 shock absorbers from Ohlins, which I am very happy with. So far I have always been dissatisfied with the front fork's response and damping. The corresponding Ohlins cartridges FKS 228 are significantly more expensive than the Bitubo and are also not available at the moment. There is a lot of positive feedback about the Bitubos and they come from the “motorcycle racing” country of Italy

If you are dismantling the fork for service purposes, I would always consider improvements such as springs, oil or cartridges.

https://bitubousa.myshopify.com/products/49mm-jbh-fork-cartridges

Take care

--- End quote ---

HOGMIKE:
I just put 600 miles on my new AXEO cartridge forks this past week. Bike is a 2019 cvo limited with 80k miles on the stock forks.
I decided to upgrade the suspension on the rebuild.

My goal was to keep the low speed comfort level like stock or better and address the dive on hard braking and better high speed ride.

The AXEO were highly recommended and had a lifetime warranty.

In my opinion and experience trying to get tech support it is not worth $1100 for the very marginal improvement over the bone stock system. I’ve had the forks on and off 3 times adjusting the preload and oil change. Still very harsh on normal street cruising and “rocking horse” on moderate high speed running.

I’m sending them back and keeping the stock stuff for now.

I AM looking at a couple of different systems and will try one out again soon on my next trip.
I’ve become very good at removing and installing the front forks now! LOL

JMHO

pauly_2:
Haha I know what you mean. Feels like it wouldn’t take long to do it all again!
FYI, my wife has commented numerous times how the front end no longer dives when we stop (I’m adjusting from a Softail to a tourer and her floor board get in the way a lot!). From where I sit, it’s just a better bike. Instead of harsh front suspension, it’s way more refined.

If your main beef is front end dive during braking, I’d suggest the Bitubo setup - though I’m not sure you could return it if not happy.

Thanks
Pauly

--- Quote from: HOGMIKE on December 09, 2023, 08:52:15 AM ---I just put 600 miles on my new AXEO cartridge forks this past week. Bike is a 2019 cvo limited with 80k miles on the stock forks.
I decided to upgrade the suspension on the rebuild.

My goal was to keep the low speed comfort level like stock or better and address the dive on hard braking and better high speed ride.

The AXEO were highly recommended and had a lifetime warranty.

In my opinion and experience trying to get tech support it is not worth $1100 for the very marginal improvement over the bone stock system. I’ve had the forks on and off 3 times adjusting the preload and oil change. Still very harsh on normal street cruising and “rocking horse” on moderate high speed running.

I’m sending them back and keeping the stock stuff for now.

I AM looking at a couple of different systems and will try one out again soon on my next trip.
I’ve become very good at removing and installing the front forks now! LOL

JMHO

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version