Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: NOW WHAT????  (Read 6643 times)

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
Re: NOW WHAT????
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 03:47:32 AM »

I paid $3000 for my DD6 but that was in Canada quite a few years ago. Its a great tranny but when you put more than 125 ftlbs of torque on it because of the helical gears the end thrust breaks the old style circlips on the trap door bearings, I just put in the upgraded trap door from Baker with a very solid retainer plate in so hopefully that will solve the problem. Ultima sells a 6spd for about $600 I have a few friends using this behind 120", 124" and 127" motors with no problems, it's not as nice a tranny as the DD6 but very close, for the money I think well worth it. This is on a EVO softail pre 1999. For the Cruise drive I have the DD7 but haven't installed it yet(a future project), not sure what other options are available, none of them cheap I would imagine.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 03:56:19 AM by Classic Beast »
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 04:10:21 AM »

Just for your information DD6 refers to Direct Drive 6 which means in 6th gear the ratio is 1:1 same as the 5 gear in the stock tranny, to get a Lower ratio (higher speed at the same rpm) you will need to lower the primary ratio with a larger engine sprocket (28T vs 24T) or a clutch basket with less teeth. The 28T sprocket, longer primary chain and new adjuster comes in the Baker DD6 builders kit. Or you could decrease your final drive ratio with a 34T tranny Sprocket. The other option is to go to a OD6 which is an over drive tranny typically .86:1
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 04:12:28 AM by Classic Beast »
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

cvoDoug

• Junior CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2004 CVO Electra Glide
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 07:12:29 AM »

Just for your information DD6 refers to Direct Drive 6 which means in 6th gear the ratio is 1:1 same as the 5 gear in the stock tranny, to get a Lower ratio (higher speed at the same rpm) you will need to lower the primary ratio with a larger engine sprocket (28T vs 24T) or a clutch basket with less teeth. The 28T sprocket, longer primary chain and new adjuster comes in the Baker DD6 builders kit. Or you could decrease your final drive ratio with a 34T tranny Sprocket. The other option is to go to a OD6 which is an over drive tranny typically .86:1

That OD6 makes more sense to me.  Why would any one want more gears just to have the same final drive?  The Ultima's an option, but the swing in price makes me worry about quality. (too good to be true?)  I've abandon the trip I was taking next month because I had plans to blow the bike apart in the winter and customize it to my liking rather than buy a new one so I'm thinking of pushing up the schedule.  Making a hasty decision on my trans now may cost me later.  I have my softail to putt around town on but it's nothing more than a bar-hopper now. 

I want to do do a mild custom.  My bike has 80k+ on the ticker and I'm going to go through the whole thing.  I planned on redoing the clutch just not the trans. lol  I've found a reputable mechanic and will be getting with him to freshen the motor up and discuss trans options as well as blacking out the motor and polishing the fins.  I had already talked to a paint/body/sheet metal guy about doing my fenders, tank and bags.  A real craftsman that going to fatten and stretch my tank and lengthen my rear fender with steel.  This will just give him more time to get it right and have it done for next riding season.  I'm not doing a taildragger just a 4-5 inch stretch on the bags to give it some style.  I've gone back and forth and still do about doing the build versus buying a newer bike.  I like the new bikes, but I like to be an individual and it doesn't make sense to me to drop 30k on a bike to put another 10-15k into it when I have one paid for that I can do that to.  There isn't anything about the newer bikes that make me go, "Wow! I have to have that!"  As long as I have tunes, cruise, comfort and reliability I'm happy.  Having the bike stand out in a crowd is just a nice ego boost.  I'm budgeting 20k for the build and I think I can shave that down.  I've put together a spread sheet for a budget and I'm at half that, so I think I'm where I'll need to be with it.

Thanks for all the input and more is always welcome.  I'm going to open up the primary and check the clutch travel per earlier suggestions and see if there's something rolling around in there.  You never know, right? I'll probably start the tear down.  I'll keep pics coming and start a new thread in a more appropriate section.

D

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 08:28:41 AM »

if your running a swing arm frame you really want to think about a 2008 or newer as the handling is a big improvement
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 08:34:14 AM »

I have not heard of any problems with the Ultima 6speed and they have been out for a while. Even still you could replace a few of them for $3000, not sure if they are still $600 as that was a while ago. You can even get it with a kicker

http://www.midwestmc.net/KickerTrans6.pdf
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 08:37:41 AM »

See the link below, it doesn't have helical gears like the baker but it still seems to be fairly quiet.

http://www.ultimaproducts.com/6spdbuilder.htm
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

cvoDoug

• Junior CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 08:45:51 AM »

if your running a swing arm frame you really want to think about a 2008 or newer as the handling is a big improvement

Yeah, I've thought of this.  I'll be changing the swing arm bushings and adding a stabilizer as well as better shocks.  I'm considering air ride but I want to make sure of load rating for two and cargo weight ratings.  Seeing how I'm probably starting this now, I'll have plenty of time to research. LOL

cvoDoug

• Junior CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 09:05:25 AM »

I have not heard of any problems with the Ultima 6speed and they have been out for a while. Even still you could replace a few of them for $3000, not sure if they are still $600 as that was a while ago. You can even get it with a kicker

http://www.midwestmc.net/KickerTrans6.pdf

I've been doing a lot of research on this and one thing I would do with the Ultima 6 speed is change the shifter prawl to the Baker design.  There's a guy that claims that where the main problem comes from with the trans imploding is the shifter prawl spring breaking and rattling around in the gear and chewing them up.  It makes sense since it's the weakest part of the mechanism and I am kind of a gorilla and don't always know my own strength.  I think that's what I most likely did to mine.  I have to agree with 1/3 the price it's hard to dismiss the Ultima.  I have also read that the gear sets are produced in the same place, just not  assembled in the same place. I know from my experience in the manufacturing world that there's a huge gray area when it comes to the stamp "Made in the USA".  By law only a certain percentage of the product needs to be actually made here for the stamp and as long as it's assembled here with those parts a manufacturer can say "Made in the USA".  Below is what I've found.  It's an eye opener, especially when we take so much pride in our rides.  I own a Harley because that's what I want.  I like the made in America statement but it's simply not true.  A large amount of the components that are on our machines are from overseas.  I'm ok with it, but when I can put a new trans in my car for the same price as my bike there's something wrong there.  I plucked the blurb below from the web.  Just makes you think.

Here is the rundown on the fine print.

The rules that qualify a product for an official “made in USA” label are regulated by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC relies on a definition that a made in USA product be made of ” all or virtually all ” components made in America. The factors for qualifying American made claims include the percentage of manufacturing costs incurred in the US, how far removed any foreign components are from the finished product, and the site of final assembly. The FTC publication on complying with the made in USA standard suggests a minimum of 75% of total manufacturing costs be incurred in the USA for a credible made in America label. The Buy American Act defines a product as made in America for the purposes of government procurement if it is comprised of at least 50% American made components.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 03:17:44 PM »

"09" is the first year of the newer frame. 07,08 old frame but 08 got the Brembos and the countdown to empty feature.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2014, 03:51:58 PM »

Yeah, I've thought of this.  I'll be changing the swing arm bushings and adding a stabilizer as well as better shocks.  I'm considering air ride but I want to make sure of load rating for two and cargo weight ratings.  Seeing how I'm probably starting this now, I'll have plenty of time to research. LOL

I highly recommend the GlidePro Bushing Kit.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

04cvoron

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2021, 11:51:09 AM »

Anyone ever figure out the clutch issue?

04cvoron

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2021, 02:29:12 AM »

I have the same bike Doug with the same issue
You probably have worked out by now but just gotta tell anyway.
Mine turned out to be the bearing at the trap door causing th whole shaft to move back and forth. Fixed mine with 40 $ in parts

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2021, 01:20:02 AM »

I run Over Drive gearsets. Baker told me he wouldn't honor a the warranty of a DD6 on a S&S V124 on my 98 King.  My FXR4 has a Rivera 6 speed O.D. gearset with 96k miles no problems at all.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.