Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: compensator advice needed  (Read 1469 times)

08CVOSPRNGER

• Junior CVO Member
compensator advice needed
« on: August 27, 2014, 12:58:49 PM »

How hard is it to change the compensator on a cvo springer? Any helpful hints or tricks?

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
Re: compensator advice needed
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 02:23:07 PM »

As long as you access to the right tools not difficult at all, if your going to put in the latest version 42200095A (I think that's the part number for bike) you will need a torque wrench that goes up to 175ftlbs and a Torx T70 Bit, plus a means of locking the primary chain (I use steel bar cut to length or an old primary adjuster shoe cut the right shape), Don't forget you will need the glue to affix the oil feed tray into your primary cover, unless it already has it built in. Make sure you drain all the old oil out and clean any remaining, you don't want any oil getting between the new gasket and the mating surfaces as it will probably leak, I take it you have access to a workshop manual?   As long as you do, just take step by step and should be fine.
WHUFC   COYI

08CVOSPRNGER

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 03:15:04 PM »

I don't have a shop manual, but I am very mechanically inclined. I've been told something about grinding a lip off the inner primary or having to take the inner off?

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 04:36:28 PM »

I take it your replacing the Rotor assembly as well, I have a 07 RK, didn't have that problem, but from what I've read, you may need to grind a small amount off the lip of the inner primary casting from around the rotor, I would go with nothing heavier than a dremil, but check first see if it comes off with out grinding, it does not seem to affect all models.

You should be able to find all the necessary info you need on here, check youtube for a video.

Good luck.
WHUFC   COYI

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 07:59:15 PM »

With the proper tools, it's really simple.  I would not pay a dealership to do it.

08CVOSPRNGER

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 09:24:56 PM »

OK. Turns out it is my belt. I've got chucks of teeth missing on my belt. Only got 22k on it. But since I got to pull all that out to put the belt on in going to change the compensator also.

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.