Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fuel tank pressure???  (Read 2319 times)

MGB

• Junior CVO Member
fuel tank pressure???
« on: February 08, 2018, 08:07:19 PM »

Hey guys. I have noticed lately that when I loosen the fuel cap on my 2004 Eglide CVO that I notice a lot of pressure escaping from the tank.(hissing noise) You can hear it and even smell it. Any of you guys ever have this, just started recently? Maybe just a bad fuel cap or something more evil like the pressure regulator inside the tank??? Thanks
Mike

'78 Vette
'78 Tri. Bonneville
'04 SEEG
'13 Ann. Tri-Glide
'02 883 (wife's)
'04 1200 (wife's)
'12 sWITCHBACK (wife's)

"RIDE WATCHA GOT"

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: fuel tank pressure???
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 11:39:10 AM »

Year and model of bike?  Some have a check valve in vent line.  Let's air in but not out.

MGB

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 12:28:32 PM »

The bike is a 2004 Eglide CVO. I did blow through the vent line and the fuel overflow line with my air tank and both flowed freely.
Mike

'78 Vette
'78 Tri. Bonneville
'04 SEEG
'13 Ann. Tri-Glide
'02 883 (wife's)
'04 1200 (wife's)
'12 sWITCHBACK (wife's)

"RIDE WATCHA GOT"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 01:17:35 PM »

There is a vapor valve (62150-85) that lives in the vent line.  It's in hole in front of the battery area.  An air compressor could provide any pressure to blow through it while a small amount of tank pressure might not if that valve were a little gummed up or otherwise faulty.   That is the only part in the system that even remotely suggest what you're describing unless one of the lines (there's one at each end of the vapor valve) themselves are partially collapses inside.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 03:54:36 PM »

See attachment.

Could be the vapor valve, could be collapsed rubber tube, could be a bad cap not releasing pressure.  If you use compressed air to test flow through the lines, I suggest using one of the low pressure air gun attachments.  Otherwise, as Twolane mentioned a high pressure blast of air could mask a problem with the tubing or the valve.  I don't have a simple way to test the gas cap, if the rest of the vent system checks out I'd just swap out the gas cap with someone who isn't having the same problem and see if that cures it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 24 queries.