Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DEAD BATTERY  (Read 880 times)

05yellowse

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
DEAD BATTERY
« on: August 04, 2005, 08:21:54 PM »

After having my 10,000 mile check up at the dealership I have statrted experiencing the problem with the battery going very dead.When getting home and setting the alarm system,the next day the battery was dead. I went back to the dealership and received another battery installed it and everything was fine,until three days later I set the alarm again and the battery is dead again.Tomorrow I will load the bike on a trailer and take it to the dealership. Has anyone had anything similar happen to them?The alarm system itself shouldn't pull that much of a drain on the battery,any thoughts or ideas as to what might be occurring?Would there have been anything the dealership might have not reset at this checkup to cause this problem when the alarm system is set?Thanks for any input. [smiley=confused5.gif]

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: DEAD BATTERY
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 08:30:09 PM »

Have you checked your tour-pak light?  Several here have had issues with them not shutting off when the lid is in the closed position.

05yellowse

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 08:41:53 PM »

No I didn't check that, I might go ahead and install an on/off switch for that, I'm sure thats next. The last two times I turned on the alarm system the battery went dead. I guess I won't use it anymore.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 08:48:11 PM »

I'd be surprised if it's the alarm.  Check the tour-pak light.

Do you use a Battery Tender?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 08:48:31 PM by 103tHunDer »

05Rider

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 09:15:21 PM »

Well I have been having problems with my tour pak trunk light [smiley=confused5.gif].  I took it into the dealership and told them that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  I told them that if it doesn't come on I just tap it a few times and it comes on.  I told them about other people having problems with their lights not turning off and it kills the battery.  I told them that has never happen to me, mine just doesn't turn on all the time.  One of the service techs came out and tapped on it when the light flickered he said, it's bad.  They told me that they would replace the light.  I asked them not to replace it with the same Tour Pak Light part number 54302-98A.  I was told that newer LED Tour Pak Light Kit part number 54332-04 is now replacing the old Tour Pak Light.  So the new LED is on order.
 So when I go out to get something out of my Tour Pak this morning no light.  I tapped on the light still nothing.  Turned the key, nothing.    The dealership told me that the battery tender will take 24 to 36 hours.  They told me that I could put a battery charger with a 2 amp charger and just keep checking the battery.
 LED Tour Pak Light Kit part number 54332-04 is now installed and I haven't had any problems [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif].  The new LED Tour Pak Light  has 2 more connectors so if you wish to you can add two more sets of the LED Tour Pak Lights.  Keep your Battery Tender plugged in until you get it fixed.  That will keep your battery charged.  Good luck - Ride Safe [smiley=helmet.gif]
Freedom pipes, PC III, SE Air Cleaner
Tour Pak & Saddlebags LED Brakelight Kits
Kuryakyn Deluxe L.E.D. Taillight Conversion & LED F & R Running Lights & Turn Signals

05Rider

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 09:20:45 PM »

Sorry I forgot to tell you.  If you have the old style Tour Pak Light [smiley=nixweiss.gif], unplug it from inside the Tour Pak that will help you if the Tour Pak Light is your problem.  Ride Safe  [smiley=helmet.gif]
Freedom pipes, PC III, SE Air Cleaner
Tour Pak & Saddlebags LED Brakelight Kits
Kuryakyn Deluxe L.E.D. Taillight Conversion & LED F & R Running Lights & Turn Signals

05yellowse

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 07:39:51 PM »

Towed the bike to the dealership this morning and after waiting on it all day, they could find nothing other than they think it was a defective new battery.Oh well.......needless to say I didn't set the alarm tonight and I unplugged the tour pack light so I feel safe in riding this weekend. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 10:09:30 PM »

Towed the bike to the dealership this morning and after waiting on it all day, they could find nothing other than they think it was a defective new battery.Oh well.......needless to say I didn't set the alarm tonight and I unplugged the tour pack light so I feel safe in riding this weekend. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Any idea what the odds are that you would get two defective batteries in a row?  Similar to the odds of winning the lottery, I would guess.  There has to be an excessive current draw, and since I've had this happen to me twice also I'm betting you have the same problem I do - lousy tour-pak light.  I intend to have the dealer replace it (again), but this time with the new style light.  Just waiting for my new tour-pak lid to come in first (paint defect) .  In the meantime, if you have access to an ammeter, you might want to do a little current draw testing to verify that everything else is OK.  I've attached a page from the electrical diagnostic manual that should help.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.