Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best way to fix scratches  (Read 2281 times)

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 SERK "Burgandy Blaze"
Best way to fix scratches
« on: May 28, 2015, 03:44:16 PM »

I put a nice scratch on my saddle bag cover last night pulling into the garage. What have you guys tried that works for touching up?

Evo

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Best way to fix scratches
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 03:52:00 PM »

You did not supply enough information regarding the depth of the scratch, color of the bike etc. If the scratch can be felt with your finger nail... then it is most likely to deep to buff for sure and probably to deep to color sand. But that would be the first two things to try, touching up.. not a good deal unless you are very experienced in preparing the scratch (actually making it deep enough to get color and clear back up just above level of surrounding paint) then sanding level and buffing to shine/remove the sand scratches. Not a simple thing to fix scratches, nor quick. Go to a high end collision shop and ask them, not a small body shop or a back yard of a someone a friend knows who paints cars at night.

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 04:29:45 PM »

Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure it's too deep to buff out and I'm no artist when it comes to painting/filling scratches. It's a 2013 CVO Road King Burgundy Blaze by the way.

Evo

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 04:44:37 PM »

MSRP for a replacement lid is $495.  I'd second the recommendation of CVODON to find a good body shop/paint operation and get a recommendation and quote.  Or you can contact Xtreme Dimension on this site and ask them.  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=22985   Unlike most body shops you will find locally, they specialize in matching CVO colors.  The reason I gave you the MSRP for a new one is to help you decide if you want to pay for a repair, or just buy a new lid.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 06:25:19 PM »

OK, I know of a few very good bodyshops around here (greater St. Louis) I will get some estimates and compare to a replacement lid.

I know I don't want to DIY it.

Evo

toddwebber

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE hard candy
    • CVO2: 2013 FXSBSE crimson
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHXSB (sold)
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 12:19:08 AM »

Is the scratch still the color or the paint? Not all the way through the base color? If so it can be repaired without having to repaint the whole lid
Fuel Moto 113 big bore kit, Ward Performance CNC heads, Wood TW-999 cams, SE cam plate, Zippers chain tensioners, Darkhorse lower end, H beam rods, Timken bearing, SE 58mm TB, 5.3 injectors, AIM clutch, D&D Boarzilla 2/1, Dynojet Power Vision, Dynojet Target Tune, JRI rear shocks, Legend AXEO front shocks

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 22 queries.