Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2005 SEEG starter noise  (Read 1641 times)

1 HD HEMI

• Love to soar like a SCREAMIN EAGLE!
2005 SEEG starter noise
« on: April 16, 2006, 01:12:51 PM »

My SEEG makes kind of a weard sound when its hot and I start it. [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Kind of a grindy starter noise, won't fire at first then runs fine. Only when motor is HOT! Has anyone else experienced this problem?
1 HD HEMI
B C Gerolomy Heads
Daytona Twin Tec throttle body & WEGO Kit
Flat top cast pistons
Woods TW8G Cams
Roller Rockers
Pro clutch
RC Cycles crankshaft girdle
Bassani true dual power curve exhaust

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 2005 SEEG starter noise
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 01:31:20 PM »

My SEEG makes kind of a weard sound when its hot and I start it. [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Kind of a grindy starter noise, won't fire at first then runs fine. Only when motor is HOT! Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Two recommendations.  First, if you hear the starter grinding that is never a good thing.  Take it to the shop.  Period.

If what you're hearing is more load with a hot engine, however, make sure you've got it in neutral before pushing the wonder button.  That's really the only thing you can do to lessen the load even a little bit.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 09:49:56 PM »

Mine makes the starter noise (only when the engine is hot, has not made it on a cold start yet)..  The problem is that it doesn't do it all of the time.  Have had to two dealers with no success.  The 1st said it was a bad starter ground.  The 2nd at least pulled the primary cover and replaced the starter jackshaft drive gear-said the ring gear was ok.  If it made the noise all of the time, it would be easier to fix.  My noise sounds as if you are tearing the primary up when cranking.  It seems to be the worst when the engine is coming up on compression and firing??  If you get yours fixed, please let us know the fix as several members have the problem with no solution as of yet.

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • Live to plumb/plumb to ride
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 10:29:29 PM »

Bling,
My 04 SEEG has the exact same problem. I've been in to the shop on several occasions without success. Also without any internal wear shown as well. I've found that even when the motor is still hot, if at all possible if only just a few extra minutes to wait, it starts up without any issues (noises). But lots of times those few minutes cant be done.
I've held off getting the chrome one for that reason.
Mark
04 SEEG / 05 1200 C / 99 FLSTC / 70 TRIUMPH TROPHY
 ** IT'S A PASSION** NOT A HOBBY**

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 02:05:54 AM »

I've held off getting the chrome one for that reason.
Mark

Right there's your problem Mark.  Chrome fixes everything  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] .

kbiforce

• Junior CVO Member
  • I'd rather be twisting the wick!!!!!!!

• CVO1: 2004 Black/Blue
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTK
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 10:49:18 PM »

Mine was banging last year bad. Sounded like some one was beating on the primary with a hammer. Did it on hot restarts. Dealer pulled the primary and changed the drive and said it was fixed. It wasn't. Went back and they put in a complete started now okay (for now). I did move the air temp sensor to the air cleaner assembly this spring and it starts a heck of a lot easier when hot. I used to get the hard start after the bike heat soaked. Now it fires right up. Hope this is of some help.

electraglidese

• Love to ride

• CVO1: FLHTCSE 2004
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 11:23:15 AM »

Good morning, I had to replace my starter at 22k it sounded as though it was still engaged atfter starting, only when cold. after the dealer tried a new spring then a jack shaft gear i ended up with a new chrome starter, paid the difference from stock with extended warrenty, not bad chrome starter for 151.00.
Good luck on your problem, if you have a warrenty just get a new starter?

1 HD HEMI

• Love to soar like a SCREAMIN EAGLE!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 11:40:56 AM »

Thanks for all the graet info. I'll be going down to Harley this week and have them listen to it. [smiley=nervous.gif]
1 HD HEMI
B C Gerolomy Heads
Daytona Twin Tec throttle body & WEGO Kit
Flat top cast pistons
Woods TW8G Cams
Roller Rockers
Pro clutch
RC Cycles crankshaft girdle
Bassani true dual power curve exhaust

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 03:00:40 AM »

A lot of the 04 and 05's will do this when heat soaked and restarted within about 5 minutes. What you are hearing is the engine kicking back against the starter. Aren't you glad it's not your foot on a kickstarter! I just know one of these days it's going to kick back and gears are gonna fly everywhere!
  Make sure to keep your hand COMPLETELY off of the throttle grip and MAKE SURE to hold that button down until it starts. You may be twisting the throttle a tiny bit without realizing it. Also at least in my case I am used to just punching the starter button and releasing. That's not a good idea on these bikes when they're heat soaked. For me it takes some effort to keep my hand off the throttle grip and to continue to hold the starter button until she fires.
  A buddy of mine told me that his never does that. He hit the starter button and CRUNCH, his did the same thing.
  The above method works about 90% of the time.
MObe

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 24 queries.