Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21

Author Topic: FXR HISTORY  (Read 290129 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: FXR HISTORY
« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2008, 03:32:03 PM »

This is a great topic, and quite informative.  I found and bought a 1986 FXR Liberty Edition about three months ago.  I've owned older and newer Harleys, this is my first on the FXR platform, and now I realize I missed out by not owning one sooner.

In my effort to keep this bike as original as possible (I'm the second owner, but learning my bike had been changed around some) I've found photos of other Liberty FXR's and there is a photo of one inside the AMEX in Chicago when Harley went public in late '85.  It would appear the Liberty had spoke wheels (mine has cast) and being an RS should have dual discs.  Mine is single disc and one other bike I found is single disc, yet another has a dual disc front end.  Yes, I've already replaced the Sporty air box.  The P.O. had equipped it with a CV carb and manifold set up. 

Does anyone know if all 744 units would have been equipped the same?

First off, welcome to this great site from another FXR owner! ;D :2vrolijk_21:

Hard to see from the pic, but I don't see the caliper mounting boss on the right fork leg for a second caliper. A dual disc arrangement requires a master with a bore for dual discs, a single brakline from it to a tee splitting off to both calipers, bosses on both fork legs, and a wheel with dual hubs to mount both rotors. I doubt he modified all that. It's not unusual for HD to change design mid-model year. I'm not an expert on what came with what, but it doesn't appear that bike was setup for dual front brakes. The PO went thru a lot of trouble to remove any semblance of dual front brakes if he changed it out. Chances are it never had them. ;)

Enjoy your new ride and this great site!!! :huepfenjump3:

Hoist! 8)

Added:

Yours seem to have a taller front suspension. I'll let the FXR history buffs try this. There were might have been some different FXR '86 Liberty Edition Models that had different setups, is one guess.

The second one appears to have had the front end apart and modified. Note the reflector bosses taken out of them. They're smooth. While they were apart, he could've added the second brake setup then. And a big ole rear suspension. That bike's been modifed some. So no standard dual disc is my other guess! ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 05:57:04 PM by Hoist! »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

86LibertyFXR

« Reply #136 on: August 11, 2008, 08:52:49 PM »

First off, welcome to this great site from another FXR owner! ;D :2vrolijk_21:

Hard to see from the pic, but I don't see the caliper mounting boss on the right fork leg for a second caliper. A dual disc arrangement requires a master with a bore for dual discs, a single brakline from it to a tee splitting off to both calipers, bosses on both fork legs, and a wheel with dual hubs to mount both rotors. I doubt he modified all that. It's not unusual for HD to change design mid-model year. I'm not an expert on what came with what, but it doesn't appear that bike was setup for dual front brakes. The PO went thru a lot of trouble to remove any semblance of dual front brakes if he changed it out. Chances are it never had them. ;)

Enjoy your new ride and this great site!!! :huepfenjump3:

Hoist! 8)

Added:

Yours seem to have a taller front suspension. I'll let the FXR history buffs try this. There were might have been some different FXR '86 Liberty Edition Models that had different setups, is one guess.

The second one appears to have had the front end apart and modified. Note the reflector bosses taken out of them. They're smooth. While they were apart, he could've added the second brake setup then. And a big ole rear suspension. That bike's been modifed some. So no standard dual disc is my other guess! ;)

Great catch on the aftermarket lower legs on the first comparison bike I posted.  On page 287 of "The Big Book Of Harley-Davidson" by Tom Bolfort, Rich Teerlink is seated on a Liberty FXR with Vaughn Beals over his shoulder reading the ticker tape in the American Stock Exchange.  On this bike, it has laced wheels and is a single disc front end.  Also, reading the orginal author's information posted in this thread, it sounds as if the Liberty was based on the lower trim level FXRS.  I think it may have also had the higher suspension, I need to re-read the original post to figure that out.

The history of my bike is pretty simple.  It was part of C & C Harley-Davidson's (Tulsa, Ok. now Rte. 66 H-D) 1986 allotment.  The story as I have is it was stolen from C & C by a fellow who came in to test ride it.  Somehow, it was located in Arkansas a year later.  Once it was recovered, one of the mechanics bought the bike and kept it till last year.  Apparently, he fell on hard times, used the bike to collateralize a loan with his credit union and it got repo'd.  I "knewish" the guy about 7-8 years ago, but have no idea where he is today.  I've also known the previous owner of C & C and am going to try and get ahold of him to see if he might still have any of the original documentation from when the bike was ordered or any of the series documents (i.e. bike # of 744 built).

I also trolled the internet this afternoon and found more for sale ads for comparison photos.  A random sampling shows an "all original" with a Fat Boy front end and fender, another with the cast wheels, and one which was painted in a Pink Floyd theme.

To better understand why I'm a little nutty about "originality" on this bike is there were only 744 made.   Doesn't necessarily make it worth vastly more than other FXR's of the day right now, but then again, who ever thought a 1971 Superglide would be worth more with the boat tail, or the '77 XLCR cafe racer or '83 XR-1000 would ever be highly sought-after collectibles?  ;)  Other obvious items on this I've figured out is it should be an "all-blonde" engine.  The jugs and rocker boxes have been painted black and it's got the Ness-Tech plastic side covers. 

In addition to a Heritage Softail, I've owned a (in no particular order) 1965 Electra-Glide, 1957 FLH, 1945 UL police bike, 1945 EL Knucklehead, several 1942 WLA's, three 1942 XA shaft drives, 1965 Servicar, 1957 XLA military issue Sportster, and a number of Hummer and Aeromacci varients, and many different bikes that I flipped too quick to remember.  I've got a 1948 125cc Hummer and a 1962 XLCH Sportster project.  So, I do get wrapped up in the originality aspect or "period custom" aspect of older Harleys. 

I have a lot of respect for Alan Girdler and Greg Field and their research, but their work is not infallible, nor the final word.  Especially when some Harley model years were rolling prototypes.

I'm going to keep an eye out for a very good deal on an FXR 2, 3, or 4.  I'm hooked on this chassis now.  Here's another with cast wheels:

SEFXR4

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #137 on: August 11, 2008, 10:04:47 PM »

Thank's the FXR history you provided is awesome.
Gregg

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2008, 12:54:35 AM »

86LibertyFXR~~~ I have a lot of respect for Alan Girdler and Greg Field and their research, but their work is not infallible, nor the final word.  Especially when some Harley model years were rolling prototypes.

Welcome to the site and thanks for adding to the "theme" of this thread, ie: FXR HISTORY.  I/We appreciate your reflections and your passion.  Congratulations on your purchase at the beginning of summer. 

As for keeping your eye out for an FXR2, FXR3, or FXR4 don't say that too "loudly" in here....people will find you one....lol we have had two great guys purchase two FXR3's and "Blue" ones at that within the past 14 days!  There is a great thread that's been going for awhile to prove my point: "Value Of A 1999 FXR2" that thread has taken on a life of it's own....lol..you mention you want an FXR2, FXR3, or FXR4 over there and lol watch out....lol

I am interested in your comment ".....Especially when some Harley model years were rolling prototypes......"  I am a bit lost what you are trying to communicate.....perhaps you can offer some further insight into this....great to read what you are thinking....

There really isn't any "HISTORY" on the FXR, basically any that's been offered has merely been paragraphs leading to some times a chapter and in some cases perhaps a couple of chapters within the bigger story of Harley Davidson.  Time will tell whether the interest in these bikes will become more focused and passionate or whether it will simply be just another model along the long lines of other models of motorcycles that have been offered for sale.  At the end of the day there have been 73 different models offered through the 15 years of production.  Given that the first year and the final years of 1999 and 2000 most likely produced 8,820 FXR's sandwiched between 13 more years of production, one might take a gander and say that there were another 75,000 bikes made inclusive of the FXRP Police "Pursuit Glides" for a total of aproximately what, say.....84,000 FXR's bikes created.  It's these bike owners that will determine what History says about this bike....and it's these bike owners that are creating memories and journies every day.....that's why each person's input and understanding of these bikes and what they are about are in my opinion important to creating those "lasting" memories....

It's amazing when you think about it....so thanks for offering your insights and your thoughts and I hope you will continue to do so just as so many are doing now.......and let other's know if they have something to offer to jump in.....

Personally I believe the FXR will have a resurgance....especially when Harley Davidson begins the journey into the water cooled engine......there will always be room for a wonderful bike that handles and cruises our highways.....let me see....hmmmm ok, I think I will take 2 of those 900 lbs ultras please....vs a 560 lb FXR....As our population ages....they will need LIGHTER BIKES....lol....guys are giving up their ULTRA's all the time for lighter bikes....so they can keep riding.....I mean what is HD thinking of allowing a bike to go out the door at 900 lbs....with an aging population....and just wait, see what they weigh with another 60 lbs worth of water pumps, hoses, antifreeze, and so forth and so on....oh wait a minute....60 more lbs would equal 960 lbs....with NO passenger or luggage.....lol....were talking SMALL VW...lol but that's the wrong symbol.

LET THE HISTORY CONTINUE!!!!!!!

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 12:57:13 AM by FXR2evo99 »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2008, 12:57:37 AM »

Great catch on the aftermarket lower legs on the first comparison bike I posted.  On page 287 of "The Big Book Of Harley-Davidson" by Tom Bolfort, Rich Teerlink is seated on a Liberty FXR with Vaughn Beals over his shoulder reading the ticker tape in the American Stock Exchange.  On this bike, it has laced wheels and is a single disc front end.  Also, reading the orginal author's information posted in this thread, it sounds as if the Liberty was based on the lower trim level FXRS.  I think it may have also had the higher suspension, I need to re-read the original post to figure that out.

The history of my bike is pretty simple.  It was part of C & C Harley-Davidson's (Tulsa, Ok. now Rte. 66 H-D) 1986 allotment.  The story as I have is it was stolen from C & C by a fellow who came in to test ride it.  Somehow, it was located in Arkansas a year later.  Once it was recovered, one of the mechanics bought the bike and kept it till last year.  Apparently, he fell on hard times, used the bike to collateralize a loan with his credit union and it got repo'd.  I "knewish" the guy about 7-8 years ago, but have no idea where he is today.  I've also known the previous owner of C & C and am going to try and get ahold of him to see if he might still have any of the original documentation from when the bike was ordered or any of the series documents (i.e. bike # of 744 built).

I also trolled the internet this afternoon and found more for sale ads for comparison photos.  A random sampling shows an "all original" with a Fat Boy front end and fender, another with the cast wheels, and one which was painted in a Pink Floyd theme.

To better understand why I'm a little nutty about "originality" on this bike is there were only 744 made.   Doesn't necessarily make it worth vastly more than other FXR's of the day right now, but then again, who ever thought a 1971 Superglide would be worth more with the boat tail, or the '77 XLCR cafe racer or '83 XR-1000 would ever be highly sought-after collectibles?  ;)  Other obvious items on this I've figured out is it should be an "all-blonde" engine.  The jugs and rocker boxes have been painted black and it's got the Ness-Tech plastic side covers. 

In addition to a Heritage Softail, I've owned a (in no particular order) 1965 Electra-Glide, 1957 FLH, 1945 UL police bike, 1945 EL Knucklehead, several 1942 WLA's, three 1942 XA shaft drives, 1965 Servicar, 1957 XLA military issue Sportster, and a number of Hummer and Aeromacci varients, and many different bikes that I flipped too quick to remember.  I've got a 1948 125cc Hummer and a 1962 XLCH Sportster project.  So, I do get wrapped up in the originality aspect or "period custom" aspect of older Harleys. 

I have a lot of respect for Alan Girdler and Greg Field and their research, but their work is not infallible, nor the final word.  Especially when some Harley model years were rolling prototypes.

I'm going to keep an eye out for a very good deal on an FXR 2, 3, or 4.  I'm hooked on this chassis now.  Here's another with cast wheels:

Nice to have another enthusiast on board here 86! :2vrolijk_21:

I hear ya on restoring it. But if you're gonna use it as a rider, it doen't matter too much as long as you don't destroy the original look. If you want to upgrade to dual discs, that would be the time to do it with a 39mm Front End too. Find one on EBay. You can always save your original 35mm Front End. Any dual disc 39mm will work, even from Dynas! ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #140 on: August 12, 2008, 01:05:36 AM »

greg4648,

HEY CONGRATS on your new FXR4, it appears to be the tangerine....we all will look forward to seeing photos of it....and we look forward to you jumping in with us all here as well.....

I for one am interested in hearing how you found this site, how you found your FXR4, and why you chose an FXR to begin with....and then deciding upon an FXR4. 

Regards,

Tim

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #141 on: August 12, 2008, 01:06:16 AM »

inclusive of the FXRP Police "Pursuit Glides"

LET THE HISTORY CONTINUE!!!!!!!

Regards,

Tim

Funny you mention that Tim. Have you seen the newest CVOHarley Member today?

He's"F-X-R-P"  ;D ;)

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=6383

Welcome F-X-R-P! Hope you find us here! :huepfenjump3:

Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #142 on: August 12, 2008, 04:42:38 PM »

Tim, check out this link if you haven't already. Might find some more interesting stuff on FXR History! :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.hdfxr.dk/public/FXR/FXRHistory.aspx

Hoist! 8)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #143 on: August 12, 2008, 07:28:15 PM »

Howie,

Thanks....for posting that Howie,

I have seen that website before....I kept finding myself wanting more information whenever I went to the website a few years ago.....he has done a great job with what he did and probably lost a little interest in adding to it since he sold his FXR a few years back.....His FXDX looks very cool.....

It goes to show you that the FXR captured the "worlds' imagination.....

I think I am finally beginning to capture the "mindset" of Corporate HD for the emergence of the FXR as I am rather amazed how the motor company tried to take the company in one direction but the "American Consumer" kept "drawing" HD back to the "drawing board".  It's been said that HD moves quite "slowly" with their changes, knowing that their "consumer" is resistant to change....well of course that statement could be said of any "consumer". But can you imagine HD having nearly 30 years ago finding themselves at the cross roads of a water cooled engine, and at the last minute when 13 excutives had their chips on the table, when a choice was clearly in need they sided with what they knew to be the heart of their product.

I have added more information at the very beginning of this discussion dealing with the "NOVA" project, while I was aware of this "project" and saw it as seperate from the emergence of the FXR, the bottom line of course is, it's but a tangled web we weave, it's true, if the motor company had been convinced that HD's more direct profit could have been arrived from the "NOVA" project the look and feel of HD today would/might be very different today and into the clear and unknown future.  Given that the NOVA was a "water cooled" direct drive power plant, whose to say whether we would have benefited or not, but what we do know is that as we do take a look back, the FXR indeed emerged and 26 years later here we are embracing that history with our present and future memories.....realizing that in the end HD's best chassis/frame to date has come and gone from production, while heavier bikes and different frames perhaps now prepare for tomorrow's highways with the sweet flavor of antifreeze.....

But really isn't this what the harley experience is all about.....give us a dependable and functioning bike....without all the technology we face today in our daily lives and allow our minds to wander into the pleasures our eyes bring to us as we manage to see this country from 26" to 30" off the ground as compared to 38,000 feet....where life takes on the journey along the back roads of this fabulous country.  Wouldn't you agree, it's this bikes generation that has made this possible, wasn't it considered the evolution engine that created the dependability we longed for to allow our adventures to move from the the landscapes of a magazine to the sunsets behind our backs as we pull into the motel of our choice......

And it's quite alright if you want to get there a half hour to an hour before me.....the key is we get there.....and fortunately for us....with the FXR we will arrive comfortable and energized for the very next adventure....always excited and enthusiastic about tomorrows smiles and grins.....

Just call me a "traditionalist" on the cutting edge of what is practical and long lasting.

Regards,

Tim

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 08:39:30 PM by FXR2evo99 »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #144 on: August 12, 2008, 07:37:45 PM »

Howie,

Thanks....for posting that Howie,

I have seen that website before....I kept finding myself wanting more information whenever I went to the website a few years ago.....he has done a great job with what he did and probably lost a little interest in adding to it since he sold his FXR a few years back.....His FXDX looks very cool.....

It goes to show you that the FXR captured the "worlds' imagination.....I think we finally have captured the "mindset" of Corporate HD for the emergence of the FXR. 

I am rather amazed how the motor company tried to take the company in one direction but the "American Consumer" kept "drawing" HD back to the "drawing board".  I have added more information at the very beginning of this discussion dealing with the "NOVA" project, while I was aware of this and saw it as seperate from the emergence of the FXR, the bottom line of course is that it's true that if the motor company had been convinced that HD's more direct profit could have been arrived from the "NOVA" project the look and feel of HD today would/might be very different today and into the clear and unknown future.  Given that the NOVA was a "water cooled" direct drive power plant, whose to say whether we would have benefited or not, but what we do know is that as we do take a look back, the FXR indeed emerged and 26 years here we are embracing that history with our present and future memories.....realizing that in the end HD's best frame to date has come and gone, while heavier bikes and different frames perhaps now prepare for tomorrow's highways with the sweet flavor of antifreeze.....
Regards,

Tim

I remember djkak talking about that and posted pics somewhere here too. Too bad he's not here. He's unreal with the HD little unknown pieces of the puzzle. That man was a walking HD encyclopeadia! :2vrolijk_21:

Man I miss that guy. Where'd he go? :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

triumphleroy

« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2008, 08:33:07 PM »

Brand new to this board and probably starting out in wrong spot but I rode  the FXR for a mighty long time. Been riding since 1948,started on a Doodle-Bug scooter then (still have it).Rode ridgid frame preunit Triumph most of my youth (still have those). But there is in my opinion no finer riding bike than an FXR. Put 65,000 miles on my 1991 FXRP the first year and half after an early retirement. My motel was a sleeping bag and a picnic table in a rest area for the most part, normal day was 650 to 700 miles hated to waste any daylight might miss an awsome sight. Rode to Harleys 90th Birthday and rode straight back 1000+ miles and never left the saddle gassed up with credit card in the pump while I sat in that big comfy police saddle. Made Bonnieville Salt Flat Speed trials twice and slept in the mountains above there. Bike was stolen later and I bought an 86 basket case with a ton of extra parts including several of the touring fairings and police bags and touring bags. Hope to get it put together but not sure what configuration it will take on. I will look around for pictures but leaning toward Faired Touring version. Thanks for the sight.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2008, 11:10:15 PM »

triumphleroy~~~

Now that's a great story, thanks for sharing.....and welcome to the forum....

:2vrolijk_21:

Regards,

Tim

triumphleroy

« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2008, 11:24:00 PM »

The Harley Davidson Co. planned to sell 1995 FXRs. One day while visiting the old dealer in late 94 I noticed a pad of the tear-off ads laying in the floor of the mechanics area near the trash can with a foot print in the middle of it. Asked the shop foreman and owner about it and he said that they had cancelled the 95 FXRs. I picked the pad up and kept it, have it filed away somewhere amongst my shtufff. They were to be available in Birch White only if my old mans memory serves me right.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2008, 11:31:26 PM »

Woo Hoo, another FXR afficionado!!! We're getting em in droves these days!!! :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Welcome aboard TL!!! You definitely found the right board to hit first! We all know we're fortunate having the best of the best bikes they made!!! Enjoy this great site man!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2008, 11:58:02 PM »

tr....

that would be great to see that add....find it, scan it, and post it.....

:pepper:

Regards,

Tim
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 20 queries.