Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Big news. More competition. BMW / Milwaukee watch out.  (Read 13794 times)

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
Big news. More competition. BMW / Milwaukee watch out.
« on: October 24, 2017, 06:13:01 PM »

I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: Big news. More competition. BMW / Milwaukee watch out.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 06:52:48 PM »

Damn, that is nice!
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 07:18:27 PM »

Damn, that is nice!

I thought so too.  I know, yes; they're plastic.  All the other common Wing complaints will still apply.  Honda can be so far ahead of the game, however, getting to leverage what they learn applying the automotive business's tech and its multi-millions of units to applications in bikes.  If even most of the things suggested there are applied to the Goldwing platform they will, once again, be doing things regualary with motorcycles that top line Harleys won't see for 15 years.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 07:51:45 PM »

they will, once again, be doing things regualary with motorcycles that top line Harleys won't see for 15 years.

Yup,....agreed!
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 06:01:38 AM »

Gold Wing lovers will all be racing to the dealer to embrace this latest and greatest La-Z-Boy on two wheels. Finally some big changes that the GW crowd has been longing for all these years and that's great. For me however, that is waaaay too much hi-tech bs not needed on a bike when my main objective is to get away from it all when I go for a ride. I still can't believe when you get on all the HD sites/forums how many cry about ... My gps/nav doesn't work right ... My Boom audio is screwed up ... I can't answer my phone when my radio is on ... I can't text and ride ... blah, blah, blah. Who cares? Get on your damn bike and just RIDE! I have never turned my nav on since I bought my bike and the so-called Boom radio is so worthless sometimes I don't bother to turn it on either.

Lane departure on a bike????? C'mon, get real! If you are so wrapped up in this now "connected" world, at least DIS-connect yourself long enough to enjoy what riding is all about ... the sights, smells, the journey,getting lost, the pit-stops and food along the way, get your hair in the breeze, etc.... OR just stay at home and play on your laptop and phone ... OR better yet, just jump in your car and do the same so you can endanger others on the road like everybody else does nowadays.

I saw this somewhere before and like the front suspension improvement and the better look of the bike. The electronic nightmare this thing has become and a DCT transmission is a big turn-off for me. If you can get one with a manual 6 spd. that's controlled by MY hand and left foot without all the electronic bs I don't need, I MIGHT think about taking one for a demo ride, but that's about it. I'm guessing all that hi-tech puts you in the price league of a new CVO which is too rich for my blood.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 06:45:49 AM »

The 2018 Goldwing is now up on Honda's website.  It was introduced yesterday in Tokyo.  Rumors no more.

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 07:35:25 AM »

The 2018 Goldwing is now up on Honda's website.  It was introduced yesterday in Tokyo.  Rumors no more.

Good eye and looks like I can choke on what I was thinking about the price! Base MSRP for a Gold wing Tour with 6spd. manual (finally) is 26,700 ... not too hard to swallow after all. Actually looks pretty sharp ... I like! I will definitely check one out when they hit the floor. Then if i get one, I'll most likely be back here bitching about my new HD after I get bored with the GW in a couple years, lol.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 07:37:47 AM by Phantom309 »
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 07:46:53 AM »

Now I just have to see if they have blue one in my favorite shade.

MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 07:54:56 AM »

They are priced right too. $25-32k. A lot of bike for the money.   Harley is so sad for what we get. 

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 08:32:22 AM »

Wow, you sure get a lot.  Ten years of map updates for free on either model, yet 3 updates in five years is all you get with a 40K CVO, and no free updates with non CVO bikes.  Sure like the ride modes and electronically adjustable suspension, and windshield you can raise and lower.  All for less than an Ultra...
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 08:42:19 AM »

They are priced right too. $25-32k. A lot of bike for the money.   Harley is so sad for what we get.

Yes ... you are right, but we all knew that before we set foot in the door to pay for that look, sound and name. By the looks of this new Wing, Honda will put a serious hurting on the new Venture too. I personally no longer have any interest in the the Venture after hearing about the Honda. I like my HD, but I'm afraid it might go bye bye after riding one of these. I have ridden quite a few different bikes in my life and can honestly say Honda always did make the best touring bikes. I just wish I could afford both! 
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 08:43:05 AM »

New motor and a 90lb diet. Whoop whoop! While still a big bike, they did improve the styling.

J.D.

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 08:44:31 AM »

Truth is a good chunk of the aging Harley demographic wants this.  At this price point they're going to sell.

Between this and what Polaris/Indian is doing, HD better wake up.

mark

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 09:15:44 AM »

Gold Wing lovers will all be racing to the dealer to embrace this latest and greatest La-Z-Boy on two wheels. Finally some big changes that the GW crowd has been longing for all these years and that's great. For me however, that is waaaay too much hi-tech bs not needed on a bike when my main objective is to get away from it all when I go for a ride. I still can't believe when you get on all the HD sites/forums how many cry about ... My gps/nav doesn't work right ... My Boom audio is screwed up ... I can't answer my phone when my radio is on ... I can't text and ride ... blah, blah, blah. Who cares? Get on your damn bike and just RIDE! I have never turned my nav on since I bought my bike and the so-called Boom radio is so worthless sometimes I don't bother to turn it on either.

Lane departure on a bike????? C'mon, get real! If you are so wrapped up in this now "connected" world, at least DIS-connect yourself long enough to enjoy what riding is all about ... the sights, smells, the journey,getting lost, the pit-stops and food along the way, get your hair in the breeze, etc.... OR just stay at home and play on your laptop and phone ... OR better yet, just jump in your car and do the same so you can endanger others on the road like everybody else does nowadays.

I saw this somewhere before and like the front suspension improvement and the better look of the bike. The electronic nightmare this thing has become and a DCT transmission is a big turn-off for me. If you can get one with a manual 6 spd. that's controlled by MY hand and left foot without all the electronic bs I don't need, I MIGHT think about taking one for a demo ride, but that's about it. I'm guessing all that hi-tech puts you in the price league of a new CVO which is too rich for my blood.

I'm guessing you're like me, a Baby Boomer.  When I ride, it's an escape - so I don't want to answer the phone, read text, etc.  However, I'm speculating they didn't make this for us...they're trying to draw the next generation of riders - millennials, who grew up with technology and expect it to be incorporated in their products.  Having a bike without a manual tranny might seem foreign to us, but how many millennials learned to drive a stick shift?  I imagine when the first cars were introduced, the horse and buggy riders said the same thing...lol.       

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 09:44:42 AM »

I'm guessing you're like me, a Baby Boomer.  When I ride, it's an escape - so I don't want to answer the phone, read text, etc.  However, I'm speculating they didn't make this for us...they're trying to draw the next generation of riders - millennials, who grew up with technology and expect it to be incorporated in their products.  Having a bike without a manual tranny might seem foreign to us, but how many millennials learned to drive a stick shift?  I imagine when the first cars were introduced, the horse and buggy riders said the same thing...lol.       

Exactly! ... I guess I'm just too old-school to take advantage of all the latest hi-tech, just not me. While some of it is nice and convenient, I don't really need or have a use for some of it. I will seriously consider replacing my bike with a new wing in the spring, I really like the improvements. Just because it has the latest and greatest doesn't mean I have to use it ... same way I don't use use half the crap on my bike now. At least with the Honda I won't have to worry about being somewhere in the boonies and my afterthought of an electric water pump chits and leaves me stranded, or my wheel bearings bouncing down the road beside me, or my shifter linkage falling apart etc. LOL. I just want a reliable, comfortable and relaxing ride no matter what I'm on with no worries and some good tunes to listen to every now and then. Life is too short and you might as well be happy while you're here.

Here's another reason why I hate all this latest, greatest hi-tech ... I have a 2014 Charger SXT loaded to the hilt, love the car. Recently the touchscreen isn't working half the time which means no radio and no way to control most of the hvac functions .... VERY irritating to say the least. I'm not alone with this problem and after reading some horror stories others have had I'm afraid to even take it in to a dealer ... same deal as HD. It's all great when it works, but I hate all this new electronic bs, but it seems you can't escape it today unless you buy something older. Just give me a radio and hvac with real buttons that won't let me down. I'm now car shopping because I'm afraid what this nightmare could turn into after my warranty is up in February. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:56:39 AM by Phantom309 »
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.