Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: After-market seats  (Read 3026 times)

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
After-market seats
« on: November 30, 2017, 07:38:31 AM »

Has anyone ridden on a Saddlemen seat?

https://www.saddlemen.com/road-sofa-h-d-ls

Just looking for reviews.

Thanks!
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: After-market seats
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 10:55:19 AM »

Yes, I have one and love it.

I first bought a RoadSofa in 1996 for my 95 Ultra. Their factory is 30 mins from me so I rode there for measurement and fittmant. It had gel and heat. In 2001 I bought another RoadSofa for my ‘01 Ultra. In 2010 I bought my ‘06 CVO Ultra and kept that seat off the ‘01 for it. In 2011 I ran into the Saddleman rep at a bike event and asked him if he would refurbished the seat. He was so taken by my loyalty, and the fact that I was still riding on 10 year old seat, that they gave me a new one! It came with gel and heat. They wanted to keep the old one for display, and for examination of wear, usage and crushability.

In 2012 I bought a Corbin and put the RoadSofa in storage. The Corbin was nice, but not comfortable for me. I ended up using an AirHawk cushion on top of it. Finally, in 2016 I went back to the RoadSofa, sold the Corbin and never looked back.

My only complaint about the RoadSofa is the heat in summer. When parked in the summer sun the gel retains heat and can fry you. In winter the gel becomes like blue ice and holds the cold till the seat warms up. On my ‘01 I used a lamb skin pelt over it. On my ‘06 I have resolved the heat with a BeadRider.

I highly recommend the seat, my only suggestion is to get it without gel.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 03:50:59 PM »

Thanks for the excellent feedback.

If possible, a picture of yours on your bike would be terrific, and very much appreciated.

Considering where you live, I can appreciate your concerns about the gel, but do you not think the seat is a whole lot more comfortable for the long haul with the gel?

Where I live in southern Ontario we do get hot days when my seat gets hot, but I would think not as hot as you may have experienced.  The heat aspect should certainly warm up the gel in the cooler weather as well.

I've been on their website and can't determine for certain if they do them in different colours possibly with contrasting inserts... Do you know if this is possible?

Thanks again for your much appreciated input.

Cheers!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 05:19:05 PM »

I know it's late, but here are the pics.

The seat is narrowed at the nose and sides to accommodate my height, or lack there of. The front seat appears grey because it's been under the BeadRider for a year and picked up a lot of dust.

IMG_3977 by mark paz, on Flickr

IMG_3976 by mark paz, on Flickr

IMG_3977 by mark paz, on Flickr

IMG_3974 by mark paz, on Flickr

IMG_3973 by mark paz, on Flickr

IMG_3972 by mark paz, on Flickr

IMG_3971 by mark paz, on Flickr

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 05:31:56 PM by Ironhorse »
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 08:33:07 PM »

Not late at all.  That's excellent with so many views.  Thanks so much.  :2vrolijk_21:

Just wondering, did you have it narrowed in the nose and on the sides after your purchased it, or did Saddlemen do it for you?  I'm also vertically challenged and will require some adjustments no doubt.

Also, do you know if they do them in any colour other than black?  I'm thinking of doing the top in a lighter colour so it remains cooler in the sunshine, but leave the sides black.

That certainly is a great looking seat, and as you suggested - looks super comfortable for the long haul.

Thanks again.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 11:43:18 PM »

I had it narrowed by a local auto upholstery shop. I rode the bike in, he shaved it down for me while I did sittings, and then trimmed and restitched the cover. If I was back in SoCal I would have had Saddlemen do it for me like my first one. And yes, you can pick different cover material, however that takes longer and raises the price. The best thing to do when ordering it is to provide them a picture of what you would like, a photo of another seat in the color and stitch pattern you want.

It is by far the most comfortable seat I have ever used, although I hear Russell Day Long seats are comfy too. The only reason I use the BeadRider is to cut down on the heat and when riding across the desert.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 12:10:09 PM »

Mark, is that their backrest also?  Saddle is very nice looking. I too may check them out.

Jerry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 01:54:54 PM »

Mark, is that their backrest also?  Saddle is very nice looking. I too may check them out.

Jerry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerry it is their back rest too. Very easy to take off and put on. And it has a small air bladder on the side that allows you to adjust cushion and thickness by a plunger pump. There is also a flapped velcro sealing pocket on the back side so the passenger can store things.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 01:04:42 PM »

Yes, I have one and love it.

I first bought a RoadSofa in 1996 for my 95 Ultra. Their factory is 30 mins from me so I rode there for measurement and fittmant. It had gel and heat. In 2001 I bought another RoadSofa for my ‘01 Ultra. In 2010 I bought my ‘06 CVO Ultra and kept that seat off the ‘01 for it. In 2011 I ran into the Saddleman rep at a bike event and asked him if he would refurbished the seat. He was so taken by my loyalty, and the fact that I was still riding on 10 year old seat, that they gave me a new one! It came with gel and heat. They wanted to keep the old one for display, and for examination of wear, usage and crushability.

In 2012 I bought a Corbin and put the RoadSofa in storage. The Corbin was nice, but not comfortable for me. I ended up using an AirHawk cushion on top of it. Finally, in 2016 I went back to the RoadSofa, sold the Corbin and never looked back.

My only complaint about the RoadSofa is the heat in summer. When parked in the summer sun the gel retains heat and can fry you. In winter the gel becomes like blue ice and holds the cold till the seat warms up. On my ‘01 I used a lamb skin pelt over it. On my ‘06 I have resolved the heat with a BeadRider.

I highly recommend the seat, my only suggestion is to get it without gel.
Just spoke to Alex at Saddlemen with several questions and learned that the seats are not available without the gel.  He explained the gel technology is what the seat is designed around and is what gives the premium comfort. 

Decisions, decisions. :nixweiss:

IBA member # 45520

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 01:42:27 PM »

Jerry,

Give it a try. If you find it gets too hot when parked in the noontime sun, there are some things you can do. You can lay a towel over it to block the sun. Sometimes I lay my jacket or vest over it. Or you can go with a lamb skin pelt, or beads like I did.

All easy solutions.

Mark.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 03:04:06 PM »

Jerry,

Give it a try. If you find it gets too hot when parked in the noontime sun, there are some things you can do. You can lay a towel over it to block the sun. Sometimes I lay my jacket or vest over it. Or you can go with a lamb skin pelt, or beads like I did.

All easy solutions.

Mark.
Definitely thinking about it as they have a 30-day return policy.  But I just got this email back from Alex after he spoke to his tech people:

"We don't have a seat for the '17+ tri-glide motorcycles. Harley made the frame wider to accommodate the Milwaukee 8 engines. We probably won't be developing the seat for em for several months as we have so many other seats we are currently trying to develop."

I am really confused as H-D has several saddles that they say will fit the Rushmore bikes from '14 - '18 including the Tri-Glide trikes.  Honestly in looking at my TG it appears to be identical to my '12 and my '17.  I know a friend who bought a '17 RG Ultra took his heated Hammock seat off his '11 RG Ultra and it fits his '17 just fine.  Very confusing.  :nixweiss:  Back to Saddlemen for more info.

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 03:35:25 PM »

Spoke to David at Saddlemen who clued me in about the seat.  He said the seat will fit but on the 14+ trikes it does not fit well enough to be satisfactory - big gap at the rear and does not align well enough with the frame on the sides.

Still strange because the seat I have on the Tri-Glide (52000033) is the stock seat on the trikes and the Limiteds from '14 - '18 and it fits fine but I guess the Saddlemen seat pans fit differently.

Anyway, David said they could take my seat and modify it with or without gel and adding heat.  That may be the way I'll go if I do move forward.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 03:49:47 PM by ultrafxr »

IBA member # 45520

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 04:21:39 PM »

Spoke to David at Saddlemen who clued me in about the seat.  He said the seat will fit but on the 14+ trikes it does not fit well enough to be satisfactory - big gap at the rear and does not align well enough with the frame on the sides.

Still strange because the seat I have on the Tri-Glide (52000033) is the stock seat on the trikes and the Limiteds from '14 - '18 and it fits fine but I guess the Saddlemen seat pans fit differently.

Anyway, David said they could take my seat and modify it with or without gel and adding heat.  That may be the way I'll go if I do move forward.

Well since they have a 30 day trial period, why not try it. If it fits to your satisfaction that's good. If not, then return it.

As for modifying your seat, that's a gamble too. The pan and overall design is what makes the RoadSofa unique. With it comes the split cushion, and integrated backrest support.

Just my thoughts.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 04:30:22 PM »

Well since they have a 30 day trial period, why not try it. If it fits to your satisfaction that's good. If not, then return it.

As for modifying your seat, that's a gamble too. The pan and overall design is what makes the RoadSofa unique. With it comes the split cushion, and integrated backrest support.

Just my thoughts.
I was thinking the same thing Mark.  They do have Seat Centers - dealers who stock and will let you try a seat for the weekend.  Unfortunately the nearest ones to me are both about 300 miles away - St. Charles, MO, or Dalton, GA.  What with the holidays and colder weather coming on I may wait until spring and try that option.  And I'm going to post over on the trike forum I found to see if anyone there has a Saddlemen seat.

All good info and thanks for your input.   :2vrolijk_21:

IBA member # 45520

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 10:56:22 PM »

Jerry, have you considered the Russell Day Long custom seats?

http://day-long.com
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 21 queries.