Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Fatal motorcycle accident in New Orleans  (Read 12295 times)

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Fatal motorcycle accident in New Orleans
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 11:22:50 AM »

Sorry to dredge up a morbid and long-forgotten topic, but the trauma to both sides was real and palpable at the time. I hope my posting this (hopefully unbiased) assessment helps to clarify things a bit without casting aspersions.

- Libra
"Dredge" is certainly the right word for reviving this 10 year old post.  OTOH, this case shows how easy it is to have an accident when riding, even without other vehicles involved.

After reading the facts of his conviction and appeal (thanks for posting the link); it's clear he was over the BAC limit and shouldn't have been riding.  He admitted he turned around to talk to his BSR, and that's when they crunched.  Unfortunately, it's a fact that alcohol impairs the same judgment area of the brain that says "don't drive" and "don't turn around to talk" and "don't get distracted by ____."

From your statements, it's apparent you were/are closely associated with at least one of the two involved.  It's also interesting to note that you apparently joined this forum to comment on this case.  Feel like expanding on that?
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 11:31:56 AM »

Sad to hear.  I often wonder how HD dealers get by serving free beer on weekends here in Florida.  I gave up drinking and riding a long time ago after I hit my own car coming into the garage a little hot ???
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 10:26:10 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 09:25:37 PM »

Berts HD in St Pete is one of the free beers dealers. Not a place I want to be around anymore. To many folks sucking down a few then riding.

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2018, 10:03:25 AM »

I waiting to see how the states with legal marijuana are going to deal with impaired driving. It has kept me from planning a weeklong ride of Colorado.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

LibraSun

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • LA

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2018, 10:43:42 AM »

I really appreciate the kind reception, since I know resurrecting old threads is generally uncool. And, yes, I did join the forum only because this post came up while Googling info on the accident (which had come to mind earlier that day as I biked past the spot where it occurred).

Long story short, I was acquainted (not "friends") with both Judy and (much less so) Brian through my partner, who happened to be Judy's co-worker. All of us had had lunch together just a couple of days prior, where I couldn't help noticing Brian was rather a cantankerous sort, arguing with anybody about anything. I/we knew nothing about the stresses in his life, so took it as a sign of his personality.

After Judy was killed, and Brian was jailed, we were left to clean up their (really "her" as it was leased by her employer) apartment, drive her car to a safe holding spot, and so on, which is a harrowing ordeal in itself. Basically box everything up so that her family could come claim it. Then vacate the premises so the landlord could rent to someone else, etc.

Needless to say, a bunch of Judy's friends were absolutely devastated by the turn of events, and more than a little angry with Brian. But the facts of the case suggest both parties used poor judgment. As someone said above, one taxi ride might have prevented so much sadness. (Uber and Lyft would not appear for several more years.)

My takeaways: (1) Bad things happen even to good people. (2) When under stress, check your situation twice over. (3) Life can end at any moment, so create your legacy now. (4) Don't be a dick.

Ironically, despite widespread alcohol consumption in New Orleans, the incidence of DUI-related injuries and death remains consistently low. Reason: The natives know how to handle their liquor, starting from their preteen years (ask any bartender how many kids they've served). It's the out-of-town college kids who get effed up and puke on the French Quarter sidewalks. Hell, NOLA has drive-thru daiquiri shops, with the only restriction being that they leave the end of the paper straw intact, so it's not an "open container" (LOL). Of course, NOPD still conducts random sobriety checkpoints regularly, which is a non-event here.

Sorry for the long-winded reply. Y'all seem like a great bunch of folks, and I didn't wanna leave you hanging. I guess we all recognize that vehicular deaths are a part of normal life, and that any accident could have been caused by something "dumb" we did, like changing the radio, looking away for one second, or checking a text message. Motorcycle riders (I grew up riding on the back of my sister's Kawasaki 700, but never owned one myself) have a lot more common sense and road smarts than us "hands on ten-and-two" Sunday motorists, which makes this seemingly self-inflicted mess all the harder to comprehend.

Life is a marvel. Eyes on the road.

- Libra

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2018, 01:48:20 PM »

Much more fulfilled watching the road ahead than the threads behind.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 25 queries.