Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Talk to your dealer about this new service bulit. on tires  (Read 6369 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Talk to your dealer about this new service bulit. on tires
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2009, 11:33:21 PM »

Scott,

FWIW  I will be going back to Dunlops for my SERK. I am unimpressed with the Metzler 880 that much. I'm going to try the E3 in front next time. As Jerry said
He is talking directly to those of us with the SERK 3/4. Howie posted something about a D408 replacement. I need to call him about this.

JW

Yep. The D-408 F Radial is HD P/N 41499-07B. Like you said earlier, I don't know what happened to the "A" Revision. I'm not convinced it's a better tire than the E3 though, which you must get from a Dunlop, not necessarily HD. I believe it's the Dunlop Elite 3; 130/70 R18 63H; P/N 4080-78.

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2009, 10:33:31 AM »

Yep. The D-408 F Radial is HD P/N 41499-07B. Like you said earlier, I don't know what happened to the "A" Revision. I'm not convinced it's a better tire than the E3 though, which you must get from a Dunlop, not necessarily HD. I believe it's the Dunlop Elite 3; 130/70 R18 63H; P/N 4080-78.

I thought we had discussed this before!  ;D Now about that rear tire? Still no other options than the D407 / ME880?

JW

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2009, 10:51:04 AM »

I thought we had discussed this before!  ;D Now about that rear tire? Still no other options than the D407 / ME880?

JW

That's CORRECT! NO OTHER OPTIONS FOR THE REAR that I know of! No matching E3 REAR for some reason! :nixweiss: ;)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2009, 07:49:29 PM »

Still hoping that there will be alternate choices from other tire vendors before I have to replace my Dunlops.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2009, 08:24:05 PM »

Still hoping that there will be alternate choices from other tire vendors before I have to replace my Dunlops.

Youze guys are in the same boat on the SERG3 with exclusive tire sizes, that we're in on the SERK3/4, right? Yours are bias ply and ours are radials though. That's getting some people confused. Pay attention to that lil tidbit folks! I think I saw 1 guy mix a bias ply and a radial. Don't think he came back and explained that one yet either! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

catahoula58

• Senior CVO Member
  • "There are no LifeGuards in the Gene Pool"
    • TX

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
    • CVO2: 2004 Heritage Softail (NON CVO)
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2009, 09:33:14 PM »

:orange:  There is always the Avon Cobra's for front and rear.  I talked to Avon In Washington State and mentioned to them of the problems with the Dunlop tires.  I got ggod feedback from them and I have always run the Avon Venom's on my other bike and been satisfied.  Just my $.02, if these Dunlops are going bad like everyone has been saying.  Then I 'm going to be looking into the Avon's again for my Serg.  :orange:

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2009, 11:25:53 AM »

I've tried to follow this thread, but I've gotten lost, again...

I had the '08 SERK Annie and at about 7k miles my front tire cupped really bad and the dealership I bought from had tires for life.  If you had the bike serviced with them they would replace your tires for the life of the bike for just labor.

I had the front tire replaced, but didn't pay that much attention to the rear.  At just another 700 miles my rear tire was cupped so bad I had it replaced too; again with just the labor charge.

Were the '08 SERK's covered under this bulletin?  The bulletin states that it's for 407's used on 2009 bikes.

My thought is that maybe the dealership took my labor and then got covered from Dunlop on the tire that should have been passed on to me.  Just a thought.

So, are the '08s on the list as well?

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

deaf1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2009, 01:39:03 PM »

I've tried to follow this thread, but I've gotten lost, again...

I had the '08 SERK Annie and at about 7k miles my front tire cupped really bad and the dealership I bought from had tires for life.  If you had the bike serviced with them they would replace your tires for the life of the bike for just labor.

I had the front tire replaced, but didn't pay that much attention to the rear.  At just another 700 miles my rear tire was cupped so bad I had it replaced too; again with just the labor charge.

Were the '08 SERK's covered under this bulletin?  The bulletin states that it's for 407's used on 2009 bikes.

My thought is that maybe the dealership took my labor and then got covered from Dunlop on the tire that should have been passed on to me.  Just a thought.

So, are the '08s on the list as well?

Thanks.

The 08 SERK is covered (thats what I have)  Since it is a new bulletin,  I dont know if you can get the labor $$ back from your dealer.   I DID get labor and tire cost from a dealer that did mine over a month ago,  but they were really good people

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2009, 10:06:29 AM »

The 08 SERK is covered (thats what I have)  Since it is a new bulletin,  I dont know if you can get the labor $$ back from your dealer.   I DID get labor and tire cost from a dealer that did mine over a month ago,  but they were really good people

Thanks.

I'm riding over to the dealer tomorrow and will approach the service manager with my question.

:)  :)  :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2009, 06:03:16 PM »

I just wondered what air pressure you are keeping in your tires, and how often do you check it. I am keeping 36lbs in the front and 40lbs in the rear. I use a HD gauge and I check it at least once a week and definitely before I leave for a ride. I am at 6200 miles on my 09SEUC and so far tires look good with no evidence of cupping or the beginning of cupping, but after reading all this I am going to pay extra attention especially on the front since I have the 407 with the Y pattern. I have always used dunlops on my other Harley and I have never had one cup. On my 1995 Heritage (with S&S 107 which is in the shop for warranty repair again!!!!!) I always get 20K out of the front with plenty of tread left and about 10,000 on the rear. Always appreciate the good info on this site. It has helped me a lot since I got my 09SEUC (Silver). CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2009, 08:12:30 AM »

:orange:  There is always the Avon Cobra's for front and rear.  I talked to Avon In Washington State and mentioned to them of the problems with the Dunlop tires.  I got ggod feedback from them and I have always run the Avon Venom's on my other bike and been satisfied.  Just my $.02, if these Dunlops are going bad like everyone has been saying.  Then I 'm going to be looking into the Avon's again for my Serg.  :orange:

The stock Dunlop 180/55B18 has a load rating of 80 (992 lbs) and is designed for our 5" rim.

The Avon Cobra series offers some near miss options, but nothing that is specifically designed as a replacement for our OEM tires. The Avon Cobra 180/55R18 is a radial with a load rating of only 74 (827 lbs) that requires a minimum rim width of 5.5".

The Cobra 200/55R18 has a higher load rating of 79 (963 lbs) but requires a 6" rim. Another forum member claims to have installed one without issue.

I'll continue to ride my D407s and hope that they don't require replacement before other options become available.

Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2009, 09:51:49 AM »

The stock Dunlop 180/55B18 has a load rating of 80 (992 lbs) and is designed for our 5" rim.

The Avon Cobra series offers some near miss options, but nothing that is specifically designed as a replacement for our OEM tires. The Avon Cobra 180/55R18 is a radial with a load rating of only 74 (827 lbs) that requires a minimum rim width of 5.5".

The Cobra 200/55R18 has a higher load rating of 79 (963 lbs) but requires a 6" rim. Another forum member claims to have installed one without issue.I'll continue to ride my D407s and hope that they don't require replacement before other options become available.

I think you are wise to stick with the stock tires until someone makes a true replacement.  This is the trickbag I mentioned in an earlier post; H-D is using wheel sizes that pretty much limit you to what they are selling for tires.  Yes, there will always be folks who throw other brands on the rims even though they really aren't' the correct size and load rating, and yes, many of those folks will get by without major calamities.  However, the same can be said for lots of other risky ventures.  To paraphrase my dear departed Mom, just because Johnny jumped off the roof and survived doesn't mean you will.

I find it worth noting that at least two of the folks on this site who mentioned going with a 200 radial in the rear also had posts complaining about handling issues.  Two things here; mixing radials and bias ply isn't highly recommended (except by someone trying to sell you that radial rear because they don't have a bias ply in that size), and running a tire on a one inch narrower rim than it was designed for is definitely not recommended. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2009, 03:56:03 AM »

Referring to the service bulletin on the rear tires, they mention that we will get a letter and that bulletin was dated Movember 4th.  Has anyone else actually received the letter?  I haven't.

donald p

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 CVO
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO
    • CVO3: 2020 Tri Glide CVO
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2009, 05:44:24 PM »

This service bulletin is just what I've been waiting for, THANKS a lot guy's.
.FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary #680
2020 Tri Glide CVO

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Ultra Classic Ruby Red / Maroon (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Mako Fade
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »

Referring to the service bulletin on the rear tires, they mention that we will get a letter and that bulletin was dated Movember 4th.  Has anyone else actually received the letter?  I haven't.
Neither have I!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.