Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Battery Failure?  (Read 1274 times)

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
Battery Failure?
« on: February 01, 2012, 10:13:37 PM »

History:

Early December - Bike failed to start when stopped for gas.  I attributed this to starting the bike 4 times and only driving about 3 miles.  Jump started, rode home with 2 stops over 150 miles with no incident.

Week or 2 later - Had some warranty work done (heated grips and primary stuff).  Service manager called me and asked if I had a problem with the radio, as it was working but the display was blank.  He actually called before they started the work, tech noticed when he brought the bike in.  Display was working when I dropped it off.  Picked up the bike a few days later, went on a HOG lunch ride. Display was sporadic, might or might not come on with boot-up, and would eventually go off. On the way home, battery light came on and voltage was down.  Turned all accessories off to get home.  Put on charger.

Next day, called dealer and rode bike there.  Voltage was low, then VM pegged for about a minute, moved to normal, then slowly dropped until I got to dealer (about 30 miles).  Dealer replaced stator, said all was well.  Bike sat for about a week or so, as I was traveling.  When I picked up the bike, the battery was dead.  Battery replaced under warranty - 2 year warranty had expired, but I dropped the bike off before that date, so it was covered.

All was well except for the radio for the next month or so - not a lot of riding due to weather and the holidays.  (side note - I added a rear auxiliary to the radio, drilling a hole for the cable - thus voiding the warranty).  Also, one of my aftermarket HID bulbs got the blinkies, then went dark entirely.  It was the always burning low beam with 45K miles, so maybe it was time. 

Went to start the bike after sitting for a week, and battery was DEAD.  Charger would not charge, faulting out after a  few minutes with a shorted cell fault.  Jumped started the bike, as I really needed to ride to a memorial service (for the dealer service manager - that's another story).  Charged OK, started several times without incident on the 100 mile ride.  This was Thursday night.

Saturday, started the bike when I was moving stuff and bikes around in the garage, rode around the block for a quick recharge. 

Monday morning, bike wouldn't start - battery shows 10 volts.  Wouldn't charge for the same reason, according to my cheapo computerized charger.

Wednesday evening, got out finally to the garage.  Battery shows 6 volts.  Thought that problem could be drain in bike system, so pulled the battery to see if it would charge on it's own - no deal, same fault.

I'm taking the battery back to the dealer tomorrow.

What's the chance that the problem is only a defective battery?  The Controls Engineer in my says that the problems with the radio, Battery, and HID are all related.

Opinions?   :nixweiss:

Spada84
NoSofa!

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
Re: Battery Failure?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 08:39:31 AM »

I just did some "preventive maintenance" and replaced my battery in my 2009. Shortly after that I started having intermittent issues.... in the end the bike left me stranded at a dealer that was useless for help.

Found out the battery had a bad or intermittnet cell that was wreaking havoc on the rest of the system.

So.. there may be a bad batch of batteries out there... ?

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

spada84

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 08:21:56 PM »

Dealer warrantied the battery.  We'll see!
Spada84
NoSofa!

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 09:30:51 PM »

Dealer warrantied the battery.  We'll see!

Battery has a 1 year global warranty.

Ask them if they did a load test

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

spada84

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 10:18:10 PM »

They put it on the tester that has to spit out a code that authorizes the warranty  :nixweiss:

I have a good relationship with the dealer.  The machine said "charge battery and re-test".  The parts guy said f### that, and "re-tested" to get the right printout.

Thing kinda reminded me of the old 8 ball.

Spada84
NoSofa!

spada84

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 11:18:52 PM »

Did some testing after replacing the battery.  Key off, the load on the battery was 300ma+.  Started pulling fuses, and found the radio memory causing the problem.  Radio going to Iron Cross next week.  Running with that fuse out for now.
Spada84
NoSofa!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 10:55:02 AM »

Did some testing after replacing the battery.  Key off, the load on the battery was 300ma+.  Started pulling fuses, and found the radio memory causing the problem.  Radio going to Iron Cross next week.  Running with that fuse out for now.

Another fine example of a dealership just replacing parts without doing proper diagnostics, and therefore never fixing the real problem.  Now the customer gets to pay to fix something that should have been fixed under warranty (unless you decide to fight them). 

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 01:03:37 PM »

just for GP,  I'd put a battery tender on the bike and plug it in after every ride.

that's what I do with the 4 Harleys in my garage.

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 01:55:55 PM »

Since you mentioned a tender, I had my '11 SE6 in the garage hooked to the tender and the battery still went dead :confused5:
 Checked the output of the tender and it's ok but the bike battery is still dead?? The only thing on the bike that seems to have power is the Darn alarm siren - since it has it's own 9v battery supplyin it's power  and that thing is LOUD 'specially when you've got your head right next to the fuse box trying to troubleshoot.  Seems I have a bad battery(it won't take a charge even at three amps) or maybe a faulty circuit on the bike that caused the problem(HFSM internal short anyone ::)) thereby wrecking the battery. Dealer came with a trailer to pick it up today seeing as it's under warrantee I ain't messing with it. I kinda miss it already...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 04:44:13 PM by phato1 »
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 25 queries.