Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Replace the oil pump or not...  (Read 3187 times)

jjscott13

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

Replace the oil pump or not...
« on: March 31, 2019, 11:17:33 AM »

I’m getting ready to do some performance upgrades on my stock 2018 CVO Limited. I have a little of 8k miles on it. I’m going to install a Woods 22X, Fullsac head pipe, Khrome Werks 4.5 slip-on's, S&S premium lifters and adjustable pushrods.

Now, I haven’t had any issues with this bike. No sumping issues like some others have reported. I bought the bike in September of 2017 right when they were first released, so I know it has the original HD oil pump…no revisions. The dealer told me the first revision didn’t hit the assembly line until October 2017.

My question is…should I install an aftermarket (S&S, Feuling, etc) oil pump when doing the above upgrades? Again, I haven’t had any sumping issues in 8k miles. I’m not sure if this is something that can happen over time or if there was a problem with my setup it would have happened from day one??

The patient is going to be open, so I’d rather do it now if there is a chance the original pump could lead to a sumping issue in the future.

Let me know what you think.

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Re: Replace the oil pump or not...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 12:50:47 PM »

I'm where you are, I have a cam sitting ready to go in while shopping for a 124 / 128 kit.  7k miles no sumping but I did buy latest pump awhile back and new style back plate & seal when it came out.  S&S did not have their wet head kit out yet.  Harley parts are 100 bucks, S&S is around $700 but S&s 's system of separating the savaging system seams to me to be a nice solution but at a high cost if you not experiencing an issue.  For me I'm gonna shove in the Harley parts while I'm in there and possibly a better vent system at some point as some insurance cause the big bore kits seem to show more sumping issues.  (They possibly create more crank case pressure which probably overloads the stock venting & savaging system) Also could be due to bad machining or a bad break in. (ring seal) My bike seems to like running about a 1\2 court low which some and myself believe helps.  If I run mine full a always smell oil after a ride.     
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 12:54:48 PM »

If you are not constrained by any warranty issues, then by all means do whatever gives you the warm fuzzies.
Using a quality piece like the S&S pump won't hurt anything other than your wallet.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 01:23:00 PM »

I've been away from the site for a few days, but I seem to remember reports of over-oiling issues with the S&S system.  Has that been resolved?  If not, I don't think I'd spring for the S&S pump and plate until the issue is put to rest.  Fixing (possibly) one issue but creating a new issue (overloading the heads and breathers with excess oil) doesn't seem like a good way to spend $700.  :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 03:51:16 PM »

I've been away from the site for a few days, but I seem to remember reports of over-oiling issues with the S&S system.  Has that been resolved?  If not, I don't think I'd spring for the S&S pump and plate until the issue is put to rest.  Fixing (possibly) one issue but creating a new issue (overloading the heads and breathers with excess oil) doesn't seem like a good way to spend $700.  :nixweiss:

Jerry

Yikes, I was not aware of that issue. Good info as always sir. :2vrolijk_21:

jjscott13

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 04:13:59 PM »

Jerry

Thanks for the information. Can you share the link with us where you read this? I haven't heard of this problem with an S&S oil pump.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 06:03:51 PM »

Not sure they claim it will cure sumping, more help motor breathe better, well only another way to the same idea as T-man fits to his builds ( not just M8's, video on youtube)
Have seen the musings of the guy on M8 FB if iirc
Fitted S&S pump & plate, now his motor is over oiling the top end out thro head breathers
not sure if head gasket fail was involved, on a stock 107,

Note that S&S 124/128 kits come with redundant oil way plug kit
Note that Cometic revised it's M8 head gasket to cover/seal off that oil way

This is one post intimating an over oiling problem from this website.  I saw another one somewhere, but can't remember where and can't find a link to it at this time.  BTW, I don't want anyone to think I'm declaring this to be a real problem, I just saw this thread about replacing the pump or not and added my post as more of a question to see if anything further had come up on the subject in my absence.  My thought was if there really is a possible over oiling issue, it would be best to research that before spending significant bucks on this kit.  I'm sorry if I caused undue worry.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jjscott13

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 06:22:03 PM »

This is one post intimating an over oiling problem from this website.  I saw another one somewhere, but can't remember where and can't find a link to it at this time.  BTW, I don't want anyone to think I'm declaring this to be a real problem, I just saw this thread about replacing the pump or not and added my post as more of a question to see if anything further had come up on the subject in my absence.  My thought was if there really is a possible over oiling issue, it would be best to research that before spending significant bucks on this kit.  I'm sorry if I caused undue worry.

Jerry

No worries, Jerry. I did read a post about an over oiling issue with an S&S pump on an old EVO motor, but not on an M8. Just wanted to see the link from a research perspective.

I can get a good discount from my local dealer, but I don't want to throw away money. I just don't know if the sumping issue is something that can happen over time or if would happen from day one. Right now it's fine on my bike, but if it can happen over time, I'll probably spend the money. If not on an S&S, then probably on a Feuling. I'm a bit gun-shy on Harley make shift fixes at this point. I think there have been at least four revisions now.

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 24 queries.