Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: anybody running upgraded brakes ???  (Read 3973 times)

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
anybody running upgraded brakes ???
« on: March 09, 2010, 04:03:43 PM »

I'd like to know if anyone here is running larger diameter PM , or other aftermarket, brakes on their FXDSE ???

.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

firedawg24

Re: anybody running upgraded brakes ???
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 10:30:52 PM »

I know this is an old thread but I would like to know this as well. Hopefully somebody has upgraded since the OP.

Arwyn

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 03:51:28 PM »

I would be curious as well. Im prioritizing new projects for the bike, and this is one of them, since the stock Harley brakes don't really inspire huge confidence in me so far.

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 01:47:23 AM »

Anyone ?  :nixweiss:
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 09:53:53 AM »

Have you considered Lyndall composite rotors and pads?
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 01:38:46 PM »

Not the bike you are asking about but, I put six piston Hawg Halters on my 05 SEEG and there was so much difference I was totally amazed and they got even better with Lyndall Pads. They would actually stop faster than I thought possible. Then I bought the SERG in 09 with ABS and was very disappointed in the performance compared to my 05. I thought I would try Lyndall Pads with the Brembo (HD) calipers first before spending $700 for Hawg Halters again. The Lyndall Pads helped a LOT and I continue to ride in this configuration today, BUT the Hawg Halters are far superior to the Brembos the factory puts on the bikes. Maybe the Aftermarket Brembo's are better than the OE ones or maybe the Six Pistons help that much but if you ride agressively there is no comparison between the HH with Lyndall Pads vs the Brembo's with the same pads. IMHO.

Arwyn

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 12:09:29 PM »

Thanks, thats something to start looking into then. :)

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 03:59:58 PM »

My Dyna is an 01', but has had brake upgraded to where I feel they should have been stock. Original single rotor replaced with dual Braking floating, dual 6 piston Hawg Halters, SS braided lines. This will seriously stop when asked to.
I had to upgrade front tiretoo, the orignal 401 much too hard for the braking force, I used 591's for about 5 yrs, but they cup badly with hard braking. I'm now running an Avon Roadrunner V rated tire which is holding up better.
The Hawg Halters come with EBC pads, while good, didn't givem e the inital bite I was looking for, I replaced them with SBS cintered metallics.
Hard braking will lift the rear wheel off the ground now. Happy with this combo. FWIW  twinotter

GreatGazoo

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 06:35:04 PM »

I contacted Brembo about this and they refer me to a bunch of dealers with God awful sites with little to no help. Contacting those dealers have proven futile and it just seems weird they do not return calls or emails.

Some of the other threads I have, people throw out suggestions with out part numbers or locations to get them.  Not to mention prices  I cannot find. I am shocked at how little information there is about a common upgrade everyone is looking for all of the time.  

Spoke with Paul at Lyndall but he then disappeared for the past few days but noted drag specialities will have a sale on their stuff. He eventually sent me brake pad part numbers for the OEM repalcements...but I still need rotors and and calipers. I would love to order this as a complete pacakge and I have little doubt tons of us would like the same thing.

Can you put on larger size rotors?  What combos work and which ones do not?
Someone (Vendor) needs to start a thread for brake rotor, caliber and pad combos for a reference. Hell you want to impress me, compare your product with others and put numbers out there....this would convince the hell out of me about their product if you could show me results.  I am positive who ever does this and makes it clear for everyone would sell a crap load of brake upgrades. You would think someone would do this, since to me at least it seems like a no brainer, but alas no one has done it to my knowledge.

Maybe I should start a brake company and make combos that show my numbers come in lower then other products...would you buy them if you SAW what combos do what?
Seriously, cam, head and other vendors show dyno results for their prodcuts...why not brakes and other mods?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 06:40:33 PM by GreatGazoo »

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 11:40:48 PM »

I didn't see any mention of year for your bike. Performance Machine makes 13" disc's, with suitable 4 or 6 piston calipers. Is your front wheel drilled for dual discs? If no a single 13" with 6 pistons would be best straight upgrade.
Brembo uses 12.6" floating discs/ 4 piston calipers, some bolt on directly, some require adapter plates.
Hawg Halters can be used with 13" discs, but require an adapter plate also.
Tell me what year, is it dual disc convertable (wheel), you will need a new lower fork (kit from Harley) or aftermarket if not from Harley.
A dual disc conversion is not cheap by any means, a single disc upgrade with a matching caliper much more duable these days.  FWIW  twinotter

GreatGazoo

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 12:06:28 AM »

2009 Dyna SE in the profile pic
Dual front

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 10:14:25 AM »

Great Gazoo: Since it appears you already have floating rotors, I'd upgrade to 6 piston calipers. Hawg Halters work very well on my bike, and are a direct bolt on as far as I've seen. Performance Machine is another quality system that has offered direct bolt on. I'm using SBS pads in my HH, but others swear by Lyndall. FWIW  twinotter  ;D

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTF-SE
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDF-SE
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCU-SE
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 01:01:45 AM »

I upgraded to 6 piston PMs with 13 inch rotors on my 06 FLHTCU-SE but it has a 130/70-18 inch from tire.  I would would think either 2 four pistons or a single 6 piston would be as much as I would want to put with a 21 inch front wheel.  I put twin brakes on my 1987 FXRC and have never been disappointed.  Nothing beat better brakes.  Good luck with what ever you choose to do.

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 24 queries.