Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: granite engine coating falling off  (Read 3096 times)

gunlvr

granite engine coating falling off
« on: September 12, 2012, 07:47:41 AM »

Just wondering how many of you have this problem. I have an 08 anniversary Dyna. I have noticed this problem on another 08 anniversary Road king and an ultra classic. What is up with this crap. I asked the dealer and they told me to try and match the color at Canadian Tire (crappy automotive/household store here in Canada) and buy some high heat touch up paint. What a bunch of arseholes. I am pretty pissed off as it is falling off my front cylinder jug, (and only the front one). Also falling off the primary case. Other than this my bike looks and works perfect. It is just ugly. Nothing you can do about it either. Just curious if many others are getting this problem.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: granite engine coating falling off
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 11:11:54 AM »

Tell the dumchits to order part number 98600CTN.  That's the Harley high temp granite touch up paint.

gunlvr

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 03:56:51 PM »

is there any easy way to apply that without tearing the engine apart. I don't have much hope for an easy fix.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 04:13:14 PM »

is there any easy way to apply that without tearing the engine apart. I don't have much hope for an easy fix.

That's a small bottle of touch up paint with the little brush in the lid.  Can probably get the little brush about anywhere if you bend a little and try hard enough.  However.....

Many have reported problems with the granite paint chipping off.  Quite a few have reported this touch up not being a great match to the actual engines and transmission.  That was early on as I remember.  Hopefully the MoCo has made it a better match by now.  So far as I'm aware that's the only option though.

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 25 queries.