Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Better front braking  (Read 4129 times)

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
  • Mankind, all equal; some more equal than others
Better front braking
« on: July 19, 2008, 05:00:15 PM »

Was just browsing through the last messages and what I thought that was some coincidental oil spill I did while changing the oil on my 08, now it is certain that I also have a leak on the left hand side bolt between the jugs (I foolishly thought that since no one complained I must be wrong). I cross my fingers so the head gaskets last as long as possible, because it is summertime and also want to ride my CVO.

Anyway that was not the main reason for me to post this message, but if someone knows how the dealer got rid of the bolt leak I'd like to know so I immediately fix it. >:(

No, the reason for this message is to find out if someone in this forum has improved the braking power of the front single piston caliper. I have a company in the US that will sell a 4 piston bolt-on kit for my 08 CVO Springer, but just wanted to know if someone has done it already so I get the impression first hand, before I go and purchase another useless item  :-X

FYI On my 07 Dyna (FXDC) I installed an Arlen Ness six pot caliper and it is a winner; it is a modified and chromed Nissin caliper.
I know that our forks are rather weak, I mean you can just tell by looking at the flimsy U shaped forks, but I tell you, I'd rather damage that than the whole bike hitting someone from the back. I've had too many "close encounters" in less than 2.000 miles and can't take it any longer. I now think it twice before riding my Springer due to that issue and that cannot be. I'm a heavy guy so I guess that adds some to the problem, but I'm not going to change to suit my bike and that's that  :orange:

Let's see if someone has done some mods in that area apart from putting Lyndall pads which I did with no apparent improvement (actually my original pads were braking much better due to having them already bedded in)

I pay for this round of beers :bananarock:

Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Better front braking
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 05:12:24 PM »

Spanish Flyer

Just ordered a set of PM's for my FXSTSSE (07') - so I cannot draw from experience yet - but if you got a couple of weeks... (the stuff is coming from the US into Europe where I live so shipping is likely a fortnight) . I had a '06 springer classic with the PM 4 piston front caliper and worked out quite well compared to standard stuff but did it especially for the looks (as I do most "normal"  breaking on my hog with the rear brake anyhow) .
Springer fork looks weak and all that but I never managed to bend it to be honest and I was braking real hard on a few occasions (boring rideouts and a few beers too many ain't a happy combination  :coolblue:) - so don't be too concerned about that (I never intend too loose any weight to save my fork - reason for riding a hog is I can eat and drink as much as I want w/o being concerned too look like a sausage in a pair of fancy racing leathers - those  days are past me now and proud off it too  :orange:

AR
Belgium

rainierexpress

• Wherever you go, there you are

• CVO1: 2008 CVO Softail Springer
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 05:20:31 PM »

What model number did you order for the PM brakes? I have the 08 Springer so do you know if the 07 and 08 use the same brakes? I'm really not happy with the stock brakes. I've been looking for an option from Brembo, but I can't find something that will fit my bike.
2008 CVO Softail Springer
Anniversary Colors
Vance and Hines Big Radius 2-2
ThunderMax with Autotune
Blenn-Air Oil Cooler
Ness 3" Forward Control Extension

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 05:28:09 PM »

I trusted the dealer to process the order to be honest - he's also going to install the stuff so if any mistakes made I'm innocent. Nonetheless I have checked the Performance Machine website later on out of curiosity and see no substantial diffs on '07 and '08 models - only '06 onwards stand out for having the 200 rear tyre (as I also going to replace the rear caliper - not for looks this time because my dual Supertrapp hides most of it anyway, but for better grip (I'm sometimes over-consistent in nature  ;D)

AR

screaminfx

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 04:45:28 PM »

I have an 07 Springer and replaced the front caliper with a four piston Performance Machine unit, did the same for the rear as well. The improvement was fairly dramatic (I've got almost 3,000 miles on the brakes and no problems). Ultimate braking performance is going to be limited by the springer front end however, so don't expect one finger stoppies, did I mention it's a springer????

springervett

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 CVO Springer 105th Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic 110th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 05:17:17 PM »

To comment on your first subject.... I have the same leak on my 08 CVO springer anniversary addition. Dealer said it will be fixed with the 110 recall. They have the bike now after a three week wait for parts. See other posts here about the recall. My story is not pretty but the fat lady has not yet sung on this issue.

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 09:43:58 AM »

Springervett, the leak from the bolt I sorted out immediately; removed the bolt, put plenty of teflon tape around the inner side of the bolts head and tightened to specs. No more oil till I say so. Couldn´t wait for the official repair; just the thought of allowing the oil to reach the final transmission belt was too important to just leave it as it was.

And as for the front brake I am a happy owner of a CVO Springer 08 that brakes twice better than before with an HHI four pot straight bolt on (from Jeri Springer). Looks way cooler than the 2009 model, all chromed and slim unit.... 8) http://photos.imageevent.com/wforest/fxstsse22008myfirstpics14022008/springer%20front%20brake%201.JPG

Now I have a new problem.... It brakes so well that my whole front end keeps bottoming, so now I´m searching for a progressive damper (found) and stronger progressive springs that don´t know where to start looking for... :-\
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 11:12:41 AM »

That link somehow doesn't work  :-[
In the meantime I got the PM upfront and at the rear and they do a good job but I wouldn't think it is so aggresive that the frontend bottoms out (haven't gone to the extend of trying it out either providing wet roads and slippery conditions are getting kinda daily routine at this neck of wood lately).
Nonetheless, keep us informed if you'd happen on progressive front springs ...

My problem is different - the rear brakes are so cool to look at - but sight gets blocked by my all but sexy SuperTrapp mufflers  >:(

Catch 22 - should I reconsider Big Radius and live with the V&H sound or get on with the current setup  :-X live can be harsh ... Not sure yet ...

Rik

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 01:57:02 PM »

Sorry Rick and rest of the crew,

Just found out that the Imageevent.com server has gone up the creek, so there will be no access to any of my album pics for some time....

I will anyhow include the pic in this forum. It took some 2-300 miles to bed in and it only bottoms the suspension when I need to brake hard. Normal cruising I just use two fingers, but it is really comforting to know that the braking power is there when you need it.

Rick, what rear brake did you install? (any pics?).

I have just ordered the Big Radius 2 into 1 from V & H; just hope it isn't too loud  :-\

Have a nice weekend :bananarock:

Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 03:00:59 PM »

Looks very lovely indeed - I got a '07 model so looks very different - Front & Rear are Performance Machine and they're not fully bedded -in yet in all honesty so we'll talk again in a few days when the wheather holds up a bit as they promised . Will have to whack the picks on my other laptop to resize later on this weekend - Curious about the Big R - 2/1 -  I just got some taste of them on Youtube  and they seem to be kinda more muffled than the 2-in-2 which are too noisy for my taste ..let us know how it develops ..I stay tuned.

Have a good one.

Rik

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 03:48:10 PM »

Just for the record ....

Rik

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 25 queries.