Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 18" Ape Hangers  (Read 2163 times)

Colorado

18" Ape Hangers
« on: February 29, 2012, 07:31:31 PM »

Has anyone used these.
 WO807 WILD 1® SCREAMING EAGLE SPRINGER RISER ADAPTER
WHEN USING WILD 1 CHUBBY® BARS ON STOCK SE SPRINGER RISERS
I used HD risers for stock Springers w/1" bars to put on my 18" Buff.bars. At first they were fine, although I couldn't keep them tight. I would have to tighten them after every ride or sooner. Let's see forged aluminum + steel bolt + tighten daily (or more) = that's right kids pulled the threads right out. I've got the OEM risers and they will be drilled and have steel inserts by mid week next. My plan was to make something that is incredibly similar to what WILD 1 has. I'll gladly give up 4-5 hrs set up and machine time + mat, for $35 + shipping. IF THEY WORK. Any input on this item, pro's or con's will be appreciated.  :2vrolijk_21:

Angry Pirate

• Junior CVO Member
  • Bikes are meant to be ridden!

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
Re: 18" Ape Hangers
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 11:13:45 PM »

Colorado,
I have 14" apes from Hill Country Custom Cycles o the stock risers.  I used the Wild1 adapter plates.  I had a very interesting first long ride with them.  Every bump I hit moved the bars tot he rear and down.  I stopped and tightened the bolts all I could without stripping them out.  When I got home I removed the caps and noted that the adapter plates were not in the most ideal location.

Make sure that before tightening the risers down the plates as centered as possible (one on top other on bottom)<-----not sure that makes sense.  With an even amount of gap front and back.  Then tighten the riser caps down similar to a engine head, a little on the front then a little on tn the back.  Make sure the gap stays equal between the plates as you thighten it.  A small screwdriver will help keep it in position.

After the second try I never had a problem again.  Rode to Sturgis and back that year and hit some good sized bumps but no still not bar movement. 

If ever start having problems again, I am buying new risers.  The problem at the time wasn't money, I just couldn't find any other risers I liked better.  I think your steel heli-coils will do the trick to replace the threads in yours.  Don't forget the Loc-tite!
2009 FXSTSSE3
Python Staggered Dual (V&H Baffles)
Power Commander V W/Auto Tune
14" Fat Apes
Danny Gray Saddle

DoubledUp

• CVO1: 2008 Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
Re: 18" Ape Hangers
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 03:49:32 AM »

Do you need those riser adapters with any apes? I just ordered a set of Carlini 16" Gangster apes for Springer and they didnt say anything about adapters needed.
2004 Softail, lowered, chromed, 16" Carlini Gangster Apes, Pythons and custom painted tank logos.
2008 CVO Springer, Black V&H Short Shots, tuner.
2012 Street Glide, work in progress.....

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.