Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Headlight upgrades?  (Read 13319 times)

Sinker

• Junior CVO Member
Headlight upgrades?
« on: July 27, 2012, 07:11:44 AM »

Hi there.  Has anyone done anything to improve the output of your headlight?  I have a 2009 CVO Springer and it could use a little help on back roads at night.

Thanks/Scott

Angry Pirate

• Junior CVO Member
  • Bikes are meant to be ridden!

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
Re: Headlight upgrades?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 04:44:59 AM »

Scott,
I ordered a 100/55W BLUE XENON BULB for $21 from J&P but I can't put it in until I get home from cruise in September.  When I get it installed I'll post weather it made any difference or not.  I changed the bulbes on my 2002 Honda 954 to this kind when I was riding at night allot in Hawaii.  The difference was literally.......night and day. 8)

Jesse
2009 FXSTSSE3
Python Staggered Dual (V&H Baffles)
Power Commander V W/Auto Tune
14" Fat Apes
Danny Gray Saddle

Staylock

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 08:19:49 PM »

I installed the Harley LED headlight and am very pleased.  I had tried all the different bulb upgrades with limited improvement.  LED is worth the money.

Angry Pirate

• Junior CVO Member
  • Bikes are meant to be ridden!

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 04:51:30 AM »

How much was that?  Do you have a part number?
2009 FXSTSSE3
Python Staggered Dual (V&H Baffles)
Power Commander V W/Auto Tune
14" Fat Apes
Danny Gray Saddle

jacks

• Full CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHXSEa my new love from Orlando to Melb.

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Streetglide Spiced Rum
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 05:33:25 AM »

Put some spotties on, have problems in the bush here at night, with kangaroos and my spotties light op the sides beautifully...
2010 110 w/ S.E.R.T., High flow exh., 585 SE cam...
Developing 112.8 HP and 128.8 FtLb of torque...
Tuned to perfection...
Love of baiting the "Boy Racers"...

Staylock

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 09:31:40 PM »

$399 from dealer, $347 from Surdyke.com Part # 67700043A.

hotchow

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 02:53:01 PM »

I installed a PIAA lamp on my springer.....awsome improvment from the factory.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 07:45:01 PM »

Staylock, did the H-D LED bulb you installed require the vibration damper on your springer?
Jesus is Lord

Staylock

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 08:18:09 PM »

Nope.  It has a quick swap of the entire lamp.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 11:21:25 PM »

I see that you used the part number for the black LED instead of the chrome.  How does that look on your bike? I really can't make up my mind which one to get.  :nixweiss:
Jesus is Lord

Mark Davies

• Life... for a limited time only!

• CVO1: cvo fxstsse3
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 12:28:10 PM »

Hi guys, just thought I would add my two pence worth.....
I took the plunge and fitted a xenon kit, complete with ballast and the improvement is amazing!!!!
It's a bit of a fiddle to fit it all in but with a bit of jiggling it all goes in!.... Got mine from fleabay..£59 complete...and a piece of cake to fit!  :pineapple: :cucumber: :apple: :orange:

Zinister

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 08:05:10 PM »

Staylock,

Can ou post some pics?

Staylock

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 10:11:29 AM »

Sorry for the delay.

Rjs09gtr

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 01:33:59 AM »

I also have the HD LED light and I love it! Have had the HD LED on 4 different Harley's, defiantly worth the money!

GaLonghair

• Full CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 04:46:33 PM »

Go with the H-D LED! I did, no regrets!
Lead, follow or get out of the way. But, do something!

Desertwndrr

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 10:58:44 PM »

HD LED headlight makes a huge difference. And to me it looks cool as hell on a springer front end in a weird sort of way.

I'm not a big fan of the looks on a Fatboy or Heritage. Maybe that's because of the light being 7"?  Can't really explain why.

Zinister

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2013, 01:31:23 PM »

I got an LED light from JW Speaker who makes the HD light. Mine didn't fit because of the bracket inside the bezel. Haven't looked at it very hard yet because it was given to me for free.

Did you have to change the connectors and did you have to adjust/remove the bracket inside?

Desertwndrr

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2013, 01:43:54 PM »

Plugged in just like a stock bulb.

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE converted to FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTSCI
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 10:03:59 PM »

I've added the 5 3/4" Daymaker to my 2009.  Went with chrome, and also added the visor style trim ring. 

The heavier headlight vibrates/shakes the entire housing much more than the stock halogen light used to do.

I've replaced the vibration dampers in the headlight with new mounts that I had on hand when I ran into a similar problem on my 03 Heritage Springer.

Still, the amount of shaking is unacceptable, annoying, and even unsafe.

So, I'll be picking up some 1/4-20 1" Chrome socket head cap screws, 3/8" long nylon spacers, and nylon lock nuts.

I'll be removing the vibration dampers/isolation mounts and threading the bolts into the headlight housing, through the nylon spacers, and into the headlight mounting bracket, finished off with the nylon lock nuts.

With the solid mount, the headlight should be more stable.  Since the light is an LED, I don't believe I'll have any issues with the vibrations of the engine/road affecting the bulb.  If it was a halogen light, I could see this being problematic.

And FWIW, the Daymaker is the way to go.  Expensive, but you do get your money's worth.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 12:16:19 AM »

Fish Eye, this is the first I've heard about the daymaker  lamp causing excessive vibrations in the springer application.  I was just about ready to buy one but now I'm just a little hesitant.  Has anyone else had this same problem when they installed one on their springer?  Inquiring minds would like to know. 
Jesus is Lord

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 12:26:06 AM »

Fish Eye, this is the first I've heard about the daymaker  lamp causing excessive vibrations in the springer application.  I was just about ready to buy one but now I'm just a little hesitant.  Has anyone else had this same problem when they installed one on their springer?  Inquiring minds would like to know. 

Well, I would not be hesitant!  If the dampers are indeed too weak for the heavier LED light (it is considerably heavier too), a more solid mound would be good to go.

The springer front end isn't the problem.  Look at your headlight bucket.  There are three acorn nuts.  Those are the outside half of the isolation mounts. 

Even without the heavy light, these mounts can actually wear out.

I really think the small inconvenience of change the dampers to a solid mount is worth the hassle.  Daymakers are crazy bright!

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 08:37:14 AM »

Thanks Fish Eye
Jesus is Lord

HDultraDad

• Full CVO Member
  • '12 CVO SE Ultra

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 08:46:44 AM »

Day Makers used on mine and my son's Nightster
SE Race Tuner,
CFR's,
Blacked out Day Maker LED's,
A couple of other upgrades,
What else is needed on a CVO?  Just knees in the breeze!

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2013, 10:11:31 AM »

No problem, Dlaws!

I'm hoping to get to Ace Hardware tonight to get the pieces I want to make it a solid mount.  If I can get it all complete, I'll snap some pictures of the process to share with the forum.

Desertwndrr

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 02:08:39 PM »

Mine is rock solid.  Make sure that you transfer the alignment ring from the old light tot the new.  I didn't at first and the daymaker flopped all over til I figured it out.  Dummy me.

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2013, 08:31:31 PM »

Alright fellas, despite a busy weekend, I was able to make it to Ace Hardware and get the new hardware to eliminate the rubber isolation mounts in my headlight bucket.

My mount was solid on the fork, and the light solid in the bucket, but the bucket to mount mounting was allowing for some serious shaking.  That's all gone now.  FWIW, my wife told me after I followed her home one evening that even the regular halogen light was shakey too.

Anyway, to do this, it's really easy.

First, unclip the headlight wiring from under the tank.  It's doable without removing the tank, but it's got to be done by feel.  Hard to see much in there, especially with your fingers in the way!

Remove the two torx screws (T50, I believe) and remove the entire bucket from the bike.  You can remove the headlamp from the bucket either before or after.  Your call.

This is the entire headlight bucket removed from the bike, with the headlamp removed as well.  These three nuts will be coming off.  They're 7/16".

This is the mount inside the bucket.  My rubber isolation mounts are shown here, sort of pinkish in color.  Factory ones are black.  I had already tried just replacing the old with new.

Remove the inside nuts off the isolation mounts first.  Then, you can finagle the mounting bracket out.  Be careful here, because the tabs that go thru the bucket can scratch the bucket, if you're careless.

This is with the bracket removed; isolation mounts can be tricky, because the rubber will twist.  A pair of regular pliers to hold them will be helpful, if needed.

This picture shows the new hardware, laid out in order from right to left!

1.  1/4-20 Chrome button head screw (1 1/4" long)  Quantity - 3
2.  Stock trim washer - this washer is under the stock acorn nuts on the outside of the headlight bucket.  Don't forget it, it will save your paint.
3.  1/4 x 3/8 x 1/2 steel spacer.  These will take the space up from the removed isolation mount.  Quantity - 3
4.  1/4 Split-ring/lock washer.  Extra reassurance.  Quantity - 3
5.  1/4-20 Nylon Locknut.  No need for locktite with these.  Quantity - 3

Here is the bucket and the mounting tab reassembled.  This photo shows the whole assembly mounted back on the bike.

Final product -

The mount is nearly free from vibration and shaking now.  Started the bike, and the light was nearly still.  Added bonus is that the chrome button head screws look much cleaner than the old stock acorn nuts.

Hope this helps!

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2013, 10:32:38 PM »

Thanks for the update.  I think I'll have to copy you on that one.  :2vrolijk_21:
Jesus is Lord

slimdude

• Junior CVO Member
  • 07 Fxstsse

• CVO1: 2007 CVO Springer
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 10:03:30 PM »

Nice fix Fish Eye....thanks!  :bananarock:   Been wanting to mount my headlight solid for a while (especially lately since I decided to upgrade to a LED Daymaker) so decided to run with your idea. Awesome fix.....she's solid as a rock with no vibration! The LED headlight is bright and matches my Custom Dynamics Ringz perfectly! I highly recommend these if you want cars to see you coming! Ck them out....                                                                                    http://www.customdynamics.com/harley_davidson_led_turn_signals.htm

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 10:16:22 PM by slimdude »

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2013, 11:13:26 PM »

Looks great slimdude!  Glad I could help.

I do like the Dynamic Ringz.  I've got a set on my Road Glide and you're right, they're sure to help get us noticed out there.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2013, 01:13:21 PM »

The dynamic ringz is a great idea but i'm trying to figure out if the load equalizer is needed for the FXSBSE. The only mention of my bike is when they are pointing out which one does not fit the model and I don't want to assume the others should fit. Anyone done this on a CVO BO?

slimdude

• Junior CVO Member
  • 07 Fxstsse

• CVO1: 2007 CVO Springer
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 01:50:02 PM »

More than likely you will need the load equalizer.... it's plug and play. I tried mine without it and they blinked fast. I ended up calling their tech support line and they walked me through it. Their customer service is awesome and so is their tech support. You might also have to relearn the control module which is simple but I don't remember the exact sequence but it's something like this: turn the ignition on, press the L signal, let it blink twice then press the R signal and let it blink twice, continue this alternating sides for maybe 10 times and it relearns the control module. Again, tech support will walk you through it.
I'd give them a call and they can tell you exactly what you'll need. the entire team is very knowledgable of their products! 
Good luck..they'll work!

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 02:00:47 PM »

Just got off the phone with tech support. The CVO Breakout does not need the load equalizer. Ordered the dynamic ringz for the front and the dual intensity for the rear. I'll report back as to the installation challengers.  :nervous:

Breakout

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout gold candy
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2013, 03:11:43 PM »

The dayaker can be installed on the CVO Breakout without any load equalizer just plug n play no alarm messages

2013 CVO Breakout Hard Candy Gold , Jekill&Hyde Shorty, SERT, Daymaker , Elite Air Filter.

Breakout

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout gold candy
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2013, 10:31:14 AM »

Hello guys, just found that the MOCO has tackled the vibration problem on the Daymaker check out the attached photo, I have installed this piece and the vibrations are completely gone!!

2013 CVO Breakout Hard Candy Gold , Jekill&Hyde Shorty, SERT, Daymaker , Elite Air Filter.

rockinred

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2013, 11:45:03 AM »

Hello guys, just found that the MOCO has tackled the vibration problem on the Daymaker check out the attached photo, I have installed this piece and the vibrations are completely gone!!

Yes... I've been running the daymaker and that rubber boot stopped 90% of vibration as simple as under 10 bucks.   That piece is recommended when ordering the day maker.  Mine was black rubber....works perfect.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 21 queries.