Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Diet and exercise  (Read 1437 times)

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
Diet and exercise
« on: November 16, 2021, 08:03:43 PM »

So about 5 years ago I put myself on a diet so I could lose weight for my D.O.T physical, at the time they were really pushing the sleep apnea and I wanted to avoid having to get tested. I was 260 and between eating better and exercise I managed to get down to 215 before my physical. Well for the past couple of years I stayed around 220 which I am ok with. Well fast forward to now and I am up to 230, I know I need to lose some weight again but I am lacking the motivation right now. I go for another D.O.T physical next may so I have plenty of time to lose the weight.

I guess my question is how do you guys motivate yourselves? I want to lose the weight again, I just can’t get myself motivated right now. When I first lost the weight I cutout sweets, and soda and exercised 6 days a week. Now that the holidays are close and Kathy is making cookies I just can’t stop eating them. I need help  :help:

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
Re: Diet and exercise
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 08:48:57 PM »

Losing weight is about math right? Burn more calories than you take in…But those damn cookies make it so much more complicated than that!

So I would focus more on quality of weight rather than quantity.  Here’s what I mean: I have a health screening at work every year and I have kept the results for the last 12 years.  Six years ago I weighed 278 lbs at 6’1” but I was lifting heavy 5 days a week all my numbers were great (except that stupid BMI which is an absolute useless measurement; waist to height ratio is much more indicative of overall health but I digress) fast forward to now, I weigh about 235 my waist is 2” smaller (healthier right? No!) but I can’t workout in the mornings anymore due to family obligations so my workouts are pretty much relegated to occasional weekends, when I don’t have a ton of crap to do around the house and my numbers are far worse!  My blood pressure is higher than gas prices and I just had to have my A1C checked!  Luckily it came back normal but it was still a scare!

That was a lot of typing just to say: make getting healthy a lifestyle rather than a temporary gig to get some arbitrary number into some stupid range!  Get up, go blast in the gym, hit the treadmill and if you want a cookie, eat a damn cookie!  Remember, exercising consistently 4-5 days a week is more important than hitting it hard 1-2 days a week! 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 09:18:47 PM by SIKBIRD »

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 09:45:46 PM »

Paging Simon.... Paging Simon.... Aka Deserthog.

That man is down 200#s  in 2 years by just watching diet and calorie intake.

sent using Tapatalk

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

mark

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 09:19:28 PM »

I’ve found the best way to avoid high calorie foods, like cookies, cakes, pies, etc., is to not have them in the house.  My wife makes everyone she works with a birthday cake, and her instructions are to not bring any back home.  At Halloween, I had her take all our leftover candy to work.     

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 07:07:24 PM »

this wont be much help.... ive been at 235 +/- 5 lbs for the last 15 years. i eat every thing i want and like 5 times a day, i hit the gym at least 3 times a week and try to just stay off the couch, and LOTS of water. good luck
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 09:03:05 PM »

I changed my diet and stuck with it for a few years but this year I fell of the wagon. Joining a gym is kinda hard for me. I leave for work at 540 in the morning and most times I don’t get home till 630 at night. My exercise consisted of using our treadmill with a mixture of sit ups and push ups. I am back to only one soda a week and nothing but water. I just need to get back to eating properly and using our treadmill.

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 09:53:08 PM »

I can certainly appreciate that a 13 hour work day doesn’t leave much time for anything other than sleep.  Getting off the carbonated drinks should be good for losing 7-10lbs.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2021, 09:45:35 PM »

A question I’ve always had—- is diet soda/pop still bad for weight loss?  I too need to lose 10#. I swim 1000 yds 3 days/wk at the Y at 5am before I’m totally awake. Been doing that for 40 years but still have a gut I’d like to lose. Must be the ice cream. Would rather stop the diet soda.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2021, 10:01:16 PM »

A question I’ve always had—- is diet soda/pop still bad for weight loss?  I too need to lose 10#. I swim 1000 yds 3 days/wk at the Y at 5am before I’m totally awake. Been doing that for 40 years but still have a gut I’d like to lose. Must be the ice cream. Would rather stop the diet soda.

Yes, carbonated drinks (both leaded and unleaded) cause water retention which makes you bloated.  Try giving it up for 1 week, you’ll lose water weight and feel better. I drink my share of diet Mountain Dew because I cannot stand drinking water first thing in the mornings but the times I’ve taken a break from it, I felt a lot better and quickly lost several lbs.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2021, 08:14:38 PM »

Great. I’ll give up the diet Dew for two weeks and post results here.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 21 queries.