Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: A bit of a nightmare-UPDATE  (Read 4906 times)

wyobadger

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WY

• CVO1: 2013 Road King CVO
Re: A bit of a nightmare-UPDATE
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 05:22:08 PM »

Thanks for the input guys. I asked the dealer to put their diagnosis, identified cause, and options for resolution in writing. I can't help but think this is related to the recent lifter/cam failure. I put on a little over two thousand or so miles after that repair I confess I'm a bit skeptical about honesty from all service providers so I want to have something to hang my hat on when it comes time to discuss the next step. I will take the suggestion to get pictures of the damage too. Then I do think I'll get a "second opinion" from an independent shop. There's one less than two hours away down in Colorado I might try.
wyobadger
<><

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2019, 09:43:24 AM »

Sounds like a good plan.
Notoriously common is for lifters to be replaced after a failure without proper cleaning of the oil system. That said stuck valves , rear exhaust,  still occurs just less frequently after the 2008 program fix. This is a separate issue

wyobadger

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WY

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2019, 05:52:44 PM »

To their credit, the dealer very promptly provided a written response to my questions, along with three repair options ranging from $1325 to $2400, at my expense. They basically said either excessive carbon build up or over-revving was the cause. Not sure about either of these. The rpm limit set by the MOCO is, I believe, about 5400-5500 rpms. How is it even possible that could cause valve collision??? Also, just a few months back they did the cam and lifter repair so I'm struggling to understand how excessive carbon build-up is even a possible cause. I wrote them back asking them to address other possible causes like contamination of the engine or improper reassembly during the recent cam/lifter repair. I thanked them for their prompt response and said I'd be over to visually inspect and photograph the damaged parts in order to make a more informed decision about how to proceed. Thanks again for your input guys. I'll keep you informed.
wyobadger
<><

wyobadger

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WY

Re: A bit of a nightmare-UPDATED 1/1/2020
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2020, 08:05:02 PM »

Latest update: I went to the HD dealer, talked with their "top mechanic" about my bike's issues, looked at and photographed the damaged parts, then loaded it up on a rented trailer and drove it to an independent shop (Sanger's Cycles) in Ft. Collins, Colorado and laid it all out for them. I asked them to detemine the cause and extent of the current issues before commencing repairs. The shop owner called last week confirmed the valve collision and zero compression in the front cylinder (due to slightly bent valve). He also inspected the complete engine and found that the cam chain tension was "collapsed". He attributed the valve collision to this cause and is "confident" that replacement of the bent valve (and several other related gaskets), removal of carbon deposits and a couple other minor tweaks will correct and restore this bike to full running order. He quoted a price that was less than half what the HD dealer wanted to charge me. And they never even determined why the collision happened so they'd have put it back together with the same collapsed cam chain! That would have been another engine disaster in no time.

I had used Sanger's Cycles when I first bought the bike in 2015 for some other work and they did a great job then. However, they are twice as far from my home so I started using a closer HD dealership. That's on me. Wish I would have stayed with the independent shop all along. But, I have learned my lesson. Quality and competence are worth my time and money.

Wyoming in winter is not riding season so I'll have to give a final report on this saga once the roads clear in the Spring and I can put some miles on this repair.  Thanks for riding with me through this. I appreciate the wisdom and experience in this group.

Ride on,
wyobadger
wyobadger
<><

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2020, 12:07:45 PM »

That's great news for what started out as a crappy situation. Trust goes a long way in these situations. You should be able to sleep better now knowing that your baby is in trustworthy hands.

Come on Spring!
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2020, 08:23:23 AM »

Either they used a bad part, or contaminated from previous work.  Or you beat it.  No reason for the valve to hit piston otherwise.  Bummer all the way.
Will

ghost183

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2020, 06:45:15 PM »

possibly swapped intake and exhaust pushrods???

they are NOT same length rods..

but he'll never admit it
2008 CVO FXSTSSE2, Stage 1 port, milled .030 + 030 MLS, 11cc domed pistons, W-777's, Fueling 7060 HP+, TMAX, Barnett Clutch, SE Comp, V&H Big Radius 2-2 with smartpartz baffles and DK torque discs, Shotgun Air Ride, Vulcan 4.5* rake,, Chromed front legs

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2020, 07:10:35 PM »

People used to ask me......why do you drive all the way to the bay area (Metal Dragon) when there's five Harley Davidson dealerships closer to you?    At Harley Davidson of Sacramento I rode in on my 04 SEEG and the service writer asked me "is this an Ultra Classic?".  Are you kidding me??

The time before that, I had a stock OEM tire that wore down very fast just on the left up to the center of the tire.  They brought all of the techs out and their lead tech. tells me "that's because they're building the crown in the roads higher now".  Really??  I got off of my bike and walked through the double doors to the service dept. as they're telling me customers can't go back there.  I tell them "I'm looking to see if it's happening to other bikes....this is a factory defective tire and needs to be replaced by Dunlop.  If what you are saying then why is my back tire wearing evenly and it's older than the front tire?

Listen, independent shops have to provide quality service of their doors aren't going to stay open for very long.  Take it to an independent shop......somebody that's been working on motorcycles for years and has the experience and didn't just graduate from MMI six months ago.

Now if you have some time on your hands, I can tell you how I really feel about dealerships!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 07:12:23 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2020, 08:14:14 PM »

I have had more than my share of dealer problems over the years. But we have lost one totally and the other that I preferred sold and moved to a terrible to access location. So now if I need a $1.00 widget I have to drive an hour in traffic vs 10 minutes before. So if we don't support them they go away and that is not good. A poor dealer is better than no dealer. Independent's are sometimes good, sometimes bad just like dealers but never have the inventory of a modern HD dealership. So double edged sword. Hate them but need them.
If for no other reason, we need dealers to buy bikes from, drink coffee at and pick-up copies of the new paper catalog.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.