Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2007 CVO Ultra Classic Stalling Problem  (Read 2812 times)

Harleyman5600

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

• CVO1: 2007 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDC (not a CVO)
2007 CVO Ultra Classic Stalling Problem
« on: December 27, 2019, 02:58:47 PM »

I previously posted this question as a reply to an earlier thread that seemed to be on-topic, but got no replies and am now unable to locate the older thread, so here goes:

I have a 2007 CVO Ultra Classic.  It has the 110 motor with the 6-speed.  It has a persistent and chronic stalling problem whenever it's been run long enough to be fully warmed up (say up to an hour without stopping). It'll be running great as it always seems to, then I'll come up to a stop sign or traffic light and as soon as it drops to idle, it stalls (not every time, but sooner or later almost every time I go for a ride).  Start it back up, it'll idle fine and run fine until the next stop sign, and then stall again as soon as it drops to idle again (again, not every time). Sometimes instead of stalling it'll drop to a very low idle and chug-chug-chug like it wants to stall, and a blip of the throttle will bring it back up to normal (until the next stop sign). I bought the bike from the second owner, who claims he did nothing to it but ride it.  The bike is mostly stock, the only mechanical changes being 4" pullback bars and Rinehart True Dual pipes.  It runs like a raped ape generally, so I'm presuming a download was done when the pipes were installed, but I have no way to know for sure.  When I realized the stalling problem wasn't going away, I took it to the dealership where it was originally purchased.  They kept it for a week but claimed they could not reproduce the problem, diagnosed it as a defective voltage regulator and billed me $400 to replace it.  And of course it made not the slightest difference.  They also claimed it does not "throw a code" so I'm trying to figure out what kind of problem would be so consistent but not throw a code?  I took to a different dealership, who kept it for a week and returned it to me without even addressing the problem.  The first independent shop I took it to did the same.  I took it to a second independent mechanic, who finally took me seriously and started to work the issue.  He did a lot of testing, and found and fixed numerous air and vacuum leaks, replacing several gaskets and o-rings in the process.  He pronounced the bike leak-free.  It still stalls.  Next time in he replaced the spark plugs and plug wires, and the fuel injectors and IAC.  It still stalls.  I took a celphone video of the bike stalling over and over, on a day I got back from a ride and it stalled in my garage when I pulled in.  The video will show it stalled, I restarted it, it stalled again, and it repeated this over a dozen times as I restarted it over and over.  Finally, I restarted it for the umpteenth time and suddenly it ran and idled fine.  But I have no way to understand why, either why it stalls or why it sometimes doesn't.

Has anyone ever seen this on any other bike with this motor?  2007 was the first year of the 110 motor with 6-speed trans.  Could this be a "first-year-teething" problem?  It's very frustrating as you can imagine.  On solo rides not so much, but when riding with any other bikes I find myself feathering the throttle whenever stopped, to avoid it possibly stalling and the subsequent embarrassment of it.  I shouldn't have to do that!  What can I do?  Can anyone think of a possible solution I haven't already tried?  Thanks!

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
Re: 2007 CVO Ultra Classic Stalling Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 03:47:04 PM »

I also owned a 07 CVO ultra. Yes, it was the first year for the 110. While I never experienced your issue I did have some as did other 07 110 owners.

The 07 and 08 110 were known for running extremely hot. My fix was to install a SE tuner, adding more fuel to cool the motor. Could someone have installed an aftermarket tuner that is now acting up?

The other issue was the crankshaft. They were known for being out of spec. I heard of crank sensors failing as well.

I'd have these areas checked, starting with the tuner. Pray it's not the crankshaft.

Finally sold my bike. While I wish you all the best luck, the 2007 CVO Ultra was my greatest problem bike ever.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 03:55:16 PM »

Stalling and no codes can be a challenge.
Start with the basics, clean both battery cable ends and where the neg cable grounds on the frame and if there is more than 1 grounding wire follow it and remove and clean.
Loss of battery power can cause no code setting, though a code for loss of power can be set.
Check each fuse connection, do to age there could be some corrosion in the box, so pull each to inspect.
Disconnect the ECM to inspect the pins, sometimes just unplugging connectors can help a connection problem.
Crankshaft sensor can cause a stall, they are located by the oil filter and maybe over the years it may have been bumped enough times that it is cracked and than temp plays a roll in becoming an open circuit causing a stall.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 04:22:41 PM »

I previously posted this question as a reply to an earlier thread that seemed to be on-topic, but got no replies and am now unable to locate the older thread, so here goes:

Not sure where/how you could have posted this previously with this post being your first. Did you have another username/account (maybe that's why you can't find it)? Perhaps you posted it on another forum or maybe when you hit the post button for some reason it didn't get posted... you just joined us a few days ago. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 04:30:10 PM by Fired00d »
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 06:38:43 PM »

Idle air control could be the problem. I too had intermittent stalling when I had my ‘07 but it was an intake leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Harleyman5600

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 08:19:49 PM »

I also owned a 07 CVO ultra. Yes, it was the first year for the 110. While I never experienced your issue I did have some as did other 07 110 owners.

The 07 and 08 110 were known for running extremely hot. My fix was to install a SE tuner, adding more fuel to cool the motor. Could someone have installed an aftermarket tuner that is now acting up?

The other issue was the crankshaft. They were known for being out of spec. I heard of crank sensors failing as well.

I'd have these areas checked, starting with the tuner. Pray it's not the crankshaft.

Finally sold my bike. While I wish you all the best luck, the 2007 CVO Ultra was my greatest problem bike ever.

I appreciate the response.  I don't think the bike runs unreasonably hot; at least no hotter than expected for a bike with fairing lowers.  07 and 08 were also the last two years of the old frame and the inefficient "Y-pipe" OEM exhaust headers, which would make anything run hot.  The True Dual exhaust this one came with mitigates a lot of that, as it did in my last bike, an 02 Ultra, when I had them installed on it to replace the OEM pipes.  I also question whether the crankshaft or crank sensor could be a problem, since the bike runs absolutely flawlessly at speed, and has never given me any trouble other than the stalling issue.  I'll ask my mechanic to take a look, but as you say, I hope it's neither of those.  Even so, I definitely traded up from my 02 (which had 62K on it when I sold it), so I really can't complain too much.

Harleyman5600

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 08:28:01 PM »

Stalling and no codes can be a challenge.
Start with the basics, clean both battery cable ends and where the neg cable grounds on the frame and if there is more than 1 grounding wire follow it and remove and clean.
Loss of battery power can cause no code setting, though a code for loss of power can be set.
Check each fuse connection, do to age there could be some corrosion in the box, so pull each to inspect.
Disconnect the ECM to inspect the pins, sometimes just unplugging connectors can help a connection problem.
Crankshaft sensor can cause a stall, they are located by the oil filter and maybe over the years it may have been bumped enough times that it is cracked and than temp plays a roll in becoming an open circuit causing a stall.

I appreciate the response.  Some of what you suggest has already been checked, starting with all battery connections (the battery itself was new last year).  We haven't pulled the ECM itself, and that will be the next step, since your idea [that simply pulling and replacing it can sometimes clear connection issues] is a good one.  But overall, the bike seems to run so well, and all the electronics work fine, and it has a new voltage regulator (which it probably didn't need), but it also has a good stater and the charging system seems solid, that I tend to question whether the battery connections could be the issue here.  Not that we won't revisit them anyway the next time I bring it in.  Better safe than sorry, and an easy thing to recheck.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 08:54:21 PM by Harleyman5600 »

Harleyman5600

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 08:31:31 PM »

Not sure where/how you could have posted this previously with this post being your first. Did you have another username/account (maybe that's why you can't find it)? Perhaps you posted it on another forum or maybe when you hit the post button for some reason it didn't get posted... you just joined us a few days ago. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

The first thing I did after joining the other day was to search for existing threads about stalling issues on 110 CVO motors.  I found one, and replied to it.  I may have done it incorrectly as you suggest, since I was unable to find either the thread or my reply to it again.  That's why I started my own thread this time.  And I got some good responses with new information (thanks everyone!), so I'm hoping one of these suggestions will point to a solution.

Harleyman5600

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 08:41:45 PM »

P.S.  The guys at the dealership I took it to first (where the bike was originally purchased) told me there is no aftermarket tuner, either a Race Tuner, Power Commander, or anything similar, on the bike.  Since Rineharts requires some kind of tuning (you can't just bolt them on and expect the bike to run right) and it was that dealership that installed them for the original owner, that's why I expect they simply sold him the download and flashed the ECM with it to adjust the ECM for the pipes (which was one possible solution suggested to me when I had the same exact pipes put on my 02, and I bought the H-D Race Tuner for that bike instead).  The bike certainly runs amazingly well, and gets reasonable mileage (typically 35mpg).

J.D.

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 09:27:00 PM »

These are the most difficult type of issues to diagnose.  Seems you first need to tie it back to fuel or electrical.  My money would be on electrical, and something happenning associated with elevated heat.  That could be a lot of things.  I'll assume that there is no correlation to moisture (rain or cleaning/washing).  Only thing I can think of is an old fuel injected bike I owned briefly.  One of the wires to an injector had a very poor terminal crimp causing the injector to fire intermittently.  When it ran it ran perfectly, and when it didn't it would do exactly as you state.  It was a bit of a bear to diagnose and really wasn't until it became really bad that the dealer tech could figure it out.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 10:57:26 AM »

If the IAC can't obtain the commanded idle speed a code is thrown. Just as a maintenance step however I would remove the iac and clean it and the seat in the throttle body. Next start it and check for air leaks at the intake seals. Another quick and dirty way to see if there is an intake leak is with the air filter off block the IAC feed hole and the motor should die at idle. Doesn't die? Intake seals are leaking.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2019, 07:06:46 PM »

Vapor lock due to heat?  Don't know if that would throw a code.

In the "grasping at straws" category, but still possible:  Lots of problems with the '07 and '08 bikes with the tubing for the fuel pump (inside the gas tank) degenerating and causing weird problems.

Good luck.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

busarealfast

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 09:02:10 PM »

Have you noticed any speedometer fluctuation while concern happens? I've had two different bikes that would stall caused by the speed sensor glitching.
2009 Ultra CVO Stage 4
Vance & Hines Pro pipe
Thundermax auto tune
Ephesians 2:8

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 11:15:33 AM »

Take a look at the speed sensor just for the heck of it. Clean it if needed.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2019, 07:39:24 PM »

Be more inclined to look at an intake leak based on what you have shared.

Is the throttle blade is closing too far?

Used to be a setting to test with a feeler gauge
X thousands was necessary for enough air to come in

What is the IAC setting at when it’s idling what is the map at at idle?    These could be out of range

When you first start the bike what does the rpm go up to at it’s highest before it settles in on the warm up enrichment?

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 24 queries.