Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Air Breather question  (Read 1744 times)

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
Air Breather question
« on: January 03, 2006, 06:31:24 PM »

I bought my stock 2003 Ultra with the stage 1 package. From what I understood back then, al this really amounted to was the better airfilter (a K&N) and a set of SE Muffs hanging off the stock cross-over headers.

Now, Im told that the new back plate that comes with the SE 103" stage II kit for EFI is a better set up than the set up with the K&N filter that I have now. If I understood the counter jock, I won't be able to utilize my K&N filter. If this is true, what brand/type air filter will I have and is it really better than the 2003 improvement that the then Stage 1 offered.

chappy
Ps 118:8

Big Time

• Junior CVO Member
  • We ride for beer...need a beer for the ride
Re: Air Breather question
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 07:35:51 PM »

If you have the SE Pro Air Cleaner w/ breather kit HD pn 29440-99 then you are set. It you just have the K&N filter in your stock air box, you may want to upgrade.
2004 FLHTCSE black and blue
1998 XLHC 1200

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 09:53:50 PM »

Thanks! Big Time

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 10:10:17 PM »

I dug out my 2003 H-D catalog, I looked up the the part# for the SE Stage 1 Air Breather Kit for EFI my 2003 Ultra. For my Ultra it's part#29773-02 and it's basicly a K&N air filter with a metal backing plate and mounting bracket the banjo nuts, gasket, hoses and clamps and requires stock air breather cover. The price then w/calibration was $289.90.

Then I looked up in the 2006 H-D catalog. The pictures are identical except the 2006 picture leaves out the clamps. The price is the same for 2006 as in 2003, $289.90. Other than the clamps, the only differance is that the 2006 part# has the letter "c" added to the end on the number.

Now, back to my original question; Is the air breather set up that is provided with the SE 103" Kit (part #29842-03) really better, than the SE part #29773-02 K&N air breather kit?

I'm not sure, but doesn't the new air filter and backing plate do away with the K&N air filter. If so, and if it's really so good, I wonder why H-D still offers the SE Stage 1 Kit I got back in 2003?
Or am I just missing something here?

chappy  

Big Time

• Junior CVO Member
  • We ride for beer...need a beer for the ride
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 10:23:17 PM »

The 289.90 kit you speak of is the 139.95 air filter kit plus the 149.95 stage one download I believe. For 2005 Harley changed the air filter kit to a simpler design sort of like the Ness Big Sucker. However it doesn't use a K&N filter, it uses something else. Better or worse I don't know. What you have is a good system, stick with it.
2004 FLHTCSE black and blue
1998 XLHC 1200

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 10:31:55 PM »

Yes, I agree. The K&N air filter has worked well for me on my Ultra and other bikes as well. I'm sure you've heard it, "A dirty K&N will pass more air than any other clean air filter." I'm not sure I'd go that far but I've been happy with K&N. I guess I'll try to see the difference and just might put my K&N filter kit back on the Ultra after the build is finished. Seems to me with this build I'll want all the air I can get. And I like the fact I can clean the same K&N and reuse over and over.

I"m not sure either, but I have heard that the new line of filters that H-D is using isn't as good as the K&N filter. But anyway, thanks for your patients Big Time.

chappy

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 05:22:40 AM »

I"m not sure either, but I have heard that the new line of filters that H-D is using isn't as good as the K&N filter. But anyway, thanks for your patients Big Time.

chappy

I'm sure you'll find most HD shops will also agree that the K&N is far superior to the HD and will recommend their use with any upgrade mods.  IMHO the HD is an inferior product with a real decomposition and tearing problem.  Also chokes the chit out of the air supply.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 08:39:25 AM »

I bought my stock 2003 Ultra with the stage 1 package. From what I understood back then, al this really amounted to was the better airfilter (a K&N) and a set of SE Muffs hanging off the stock cross-over headers.

[highlight]Now, Im told that the new back plate that comes with the SE 103" stage II kit for EFI is a better set up than the set up with the K&N filter that I have now. If I understood the counter jock, I won't be able to utilize my K&N filter[/highlight]. If this is true, what brand/type air filter will I have and is it really better than the 2003 improvement that the then Stage 1 offered.

chappy
chappy,

Actually, the air cleaner that comes with the SE103 kit is several steps backward from the kit you currently have.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 08:41:31 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 07:20:17 PM »

Thanks guys,
I really do prefer the air breather set up with the K&N that I now have. I'm going to get the new version with the 103 kit like it or not. I will just tell the shop to put my old K&N setup back on inplace of the newer style. With some more thought on the matter, I guess I'll be putting the SE253 chain drive cams on my garage shelf with the newer air breather as well. I have finally decided to go with the Andrews 26g gear drive cams. Better now than later.
Thanks for you input
chappy
50 days til I leave for Daytona  yahoo!!!!

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 24 queries.