Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Glare Polish - Snake Oil?  (Read 103432 times)

SPIDERMAN

Re: Glare Polish - Snake Oil?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 01:22:49 PM »

You know, I guess I don't really understand the whole issue of wax, polish etc as I thought I did . I have always started by washing my bike very thoroughly. Then gone over it with a product like 3M Finesse-it (micro polish) to make sure that any grime that may be imbedded in the finish is removed as well as take out any minute scratches. If there are deep scratches, I'll use regular hand rubbing compound. After that I'l use a sealer like 3M Imperial hand glaze to seal the finish and finally a coat of Maguirre's Carnuba wax. I do this maybe twice a year. In between I use a detail spray. The thing is though that whatever I do, the final look is only as good as the paint itself or so I thought. The talk on this thread sounds like these products add a temporary clear coat. What's the deal ?  I truly do not understand.

B B

courter

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoying the RIDE!!

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon/Silver
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI Purple/Silver Flames
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 02:43:50 PM »

You know, I guess I don't really understand the whole issue of wax, polish etc as I thought I did . I have always started by washing my bike very thoroughly. Then gone over it with a product like 3M Finesse-it (micro polish) to make sure that any grime that may be imbedded in the finish is removed as well as take out any minute scratches. If there are deep scratches, I'll use regular hand rubbing compound. After that I'l use a sealer like 3M Imperial hand glaze to seal the finish and finally a coat of Maguirre's Carnuba wax. I do this maybe twice a year. In between I use a detail spray. The thing is though that whatever I do, the final look is only as good as the paint itself or so I thought. The talk on this thread sounds like these products add a temporary clear coat. What's the deal ?  I truly do not understand.

B B

They do B B.  They are polymer coatings that add a new "wear" surface to the finish.  The more coats you add, the thicker it becomes.  They are truly amazing products in comparison to the Maguire's or Mother's carnuba that I always used to use.  I recall posts of Mrs We's where she polished their saddlebags and the comparison photos were great examples of what these products can do to older finishes.

Dave

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 02:45:44 PM »

They do B B.  They are polymer coatings that add a new "wear" surface to the finish.  The more coats you add, the thicker it becomes.  They are truly amazing products in comparison to the Maguire's or Mother's carnuba that I always used to use.  I recall posts of Mrs We's where she polished their saddlebags and the comparison photos were great examples of what these products can do to older finishes.

Dave

Thanks Dave,
                   As I recall, the Glare proucts require signing over your first born male child.

What about the Liquid Glass and where do I buy some ?

B B

vagabond6542

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 03:01:36 PM »

B B

B B
The way you describe is the tried and true way of old. But with the new stuff, if the surface isn't cleaned properly,
then you are in trouble with the surface final appearance.
If you go to the new after using the old, I bet that Scooter will be seen for miles away.
Just my .02. :2vrolijk_21:

G

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 02:49:10 PM »

Thanks Dave,
                   As I recall, the Glare proucts require signing over your first born male child.

What about the Liquid Glass and where do I buy some ?

B B

Up here in Canada  Liquid Glass retails for $29.95 per can but can find for $25.00 at speed & specialty shops.(Well worth the money) THE MUFFMAN

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 02:57:57 PM »

This is going to 50 pages.....

I drank the Rejex or whatever it is called kool aid givin here, I guess nobody made me drink it. 
All sorts os chitncrap in poish bin.

Dirt on dirt off.
Wax on, wax off.

I wash, blow dry use some detailer spray, occasionally, enough...There ain'y enough beer for me to "detail"....

BaggerDave

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 03:00:40 PM »

As an aside, I called Liquid Glass and they told my I can use the Liquid Glass Pre-Cleaner to take off all the old products.
I have a bottle on the way from Amazon. $10.00 delivered!  :)

D&D Fatcats
Doherty PowerPACC
SE Pro Super Tuner
HP 100 TQ 116

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 03:08:51 PM »

This is going to 50 pages.....

I drank the Rejex or whatever it is called kool aid givin here, I guess nobody made me drink it. 
All sorts os chitncrap in poish bin.

Dirt on dirt off.
Wax on, wax off.

I wash, blow dry use some detailer spray, occasionally, enough...There ain'y enough beer for me to "detail"....

After I get enough beer in me, I don't care if they are detailed.  Wax is another subject that seems to have a lot of alternatives.  Guess the oil companies use the same marketing folks.....
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 06:54:03 PM »

Shamless post to pad count :pepper:

RedFXR2

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 09:18:31 AM »

I know there are folks that love Glare, but I wasn't impressed.

I bought the stuff and decided to really give it a test by using it on my black truck first.  Scrubbed the thing down with detergent to remove the old wax, dried it off,  rubbed in the first layer of Glare, then came back and top coated with the second layer of Glare, just like the instructions said.  I mean, this whole process took most of the day, and yes, it looked good afterwards.  Filled all the tiny spider web scratches and stuff.  But I don't know that it was any better than Meguiar's Gold Class, which I had been using for years, and it took a whole lot longer.  But I figured it would last longer, like the advertising says.

A few days later, it rained and a few days after that, I washed the truck with plain water and clean sponge.  All the spider web marks in the paint were back.  I mean, if Glare won't hold up to a plain water wash....

Anyway, I put another layer of Meguiar's on it and it's been washed numerous times over the past 3 months and still looks good.  Yes, there are some spider webs showing up again, but it's not as bad as the first post-Glare wash.  I never got around to trying Glare on the bike.  Why bother?  It's higher cost, a lot more work, for a result that doesn't hold up as well.

I'll stick with Meguiar's.

BaggerDave

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 04:23:19 PM »

UPDATE:

Just got my Liquid Glass Pre Cleaner and used it on the bike.
Then applied a fresh coat of Liquid Glass.
SPECTACULAR!  ;D

D&D Fatcats
Doherty PowerPACC
SE Pro Super Tuner
HP 100 TQ 116

dhudson

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 12:05:41 AM »

Thanks Muffman, I tried the Liquid Glass, precleaner first, then the polish and put on two coats, one coat per day and let it setup in the sun as per directions on the polish and that stuff is totally amazing. I have tried many waxes and polishes over the years and nothing has even come close to that stuff. It truly makes your paint look like liquid glass and the chrome shines better than anything I've ever tried. Simply amazing stuff, and that is no chit. Thanks for the tip 8)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 12:08:51 AM by dhudson »
07' FXDSE
D&D FAT CAT
Diamond Cut Heads
Woods Cams
Heads By Steve at Chesapeake Harley
122hp 125tq

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 11:35:20 AM »

Blah, blah, Blah, just as expensive as Glare, not as good.
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

Glare

• Vendor
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 11:23:59 AM »

Unfortunately, in my opinion, yes it is.
I initially bought Crystal Glo based on some great reviews here. Then I found many people saying the Glare was noticeably superior in shine to Crystal Glo or anything else on the market.
Well, I switched to Glare, followed the directions to the letter. Looked nice, but nothing spectacular. So, to be fair, I have continued to apply thin coats and polish it over the next couple weeks.
Still not overly impressed.
Today, I got out my bottle of Crystal Glo and did one side of my tank to compare.
Wow! The Crystal Glo side definitely had a clarity and depth to the shine. I would say almost wet looking.
So thats it for me. Crystal Glo is my permanent choice for a premium polish.
I feel like I wasted a lot of money on Glare.
Hope this helps anyone considering the two products.
Cheers!

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2008, 10:47:03 AM »

I'll gladly demo a freebie to see if I like it!    :huepfenjump3:

What shame?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 24 queries.