Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: what windshield ?????  (Read 5185 times)

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
Re: what windshield ?????
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2019, 10:57:18 AM »

2019 CVO Road Glide. I have tried the Klockwerks 9" sport flare, a great looking windshield but it did not work for me due to too much buffeting around the top of my helmet, I tried the 14" sport flare, again too much buffeting plus a lot of optical distortion. I have just now tried the freedom shield 14" and have the same issue, in all cases the buffeting was bad enough to be too uncomfortable. Now I am not sure what to try next, I have come to the conclusion that the reverse curve at the top of these windshields does not work as advertised, it merely creates unstable eddy currents of air. I had the same issue with a windvest shield on another bike but being handlebar mounted, I could rotate it back until the buffeting went away but the downside was more wind blast on my upper torso. I have talked to others who have the freedom shield and it seems to work well for them, not sure why it's a problem for me.

Hey neighbor, just wondering what is happening with your specific aerodynamics. I have used and am currently using a Freedom Shield windshield on my 18 RG with great success. I can even ride with my regular eye glasses with no wind issues.
If you are using the proper size (windshield coming up to the bottom of your nose) it should be working as designed. When at highway speeds you should be able to take your ungloved hand and slowly run it up along side your helmet until you feel strong wind coming over your shield, which with the proper size shield, should be right at the top of your helmet. If your windshield passes that test try opening the 3 vents in your fairing to reduce buffeting. This time of year I close the bottom left one and leave the other 2 open, unless caught in the rain then I close all 3. Are you wearing a modular helmet with the front open and sitting above your helmet? If all the above is fitted properly you should be good.
Of coarse there is always the BSR factor that most of us deal with for shocks, seats, windshields and even stereos to be considered.

Good luck!
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

barrhill

• barrhil
  • Full CVO Member
    • AB

• CVO1: 2008 CVO RK gold and copper
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO RGC maple
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO RGC mako shark fade
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2019, 08:17:08 PM »

Madstad for 2015 - up Road Glide

what size is your  shield  ? (in the pictures above )
how tall are you ?
have you tried others ?
anyone else have experience with madstad on new road glide fairing ?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 04:16:28 AM by barrhill »
2019 road glide Mako 2012 road glide  in maple , GMR 117,600 gmr cams , fullsac pipes and slipons , S&S crank and oil pump , TTS ,Barnett scorpion , 58mm oval HPI ,DD7   2008 CVO road king in copper with 16 apes ,fullsac baffles, SE tuner

lyn.husen

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2019, 09:22:01 PM »

what size is you shield  ?
how tall are you ?
have you tried others ?

I have a 2009 SERG and I run a 13” on mine
I’m 6’2” and have only tried the oem shield that came with it, the only shield since then has been the Madstad.
I haven’t heard any complaints from anyone running it on the 2015 on up though. Some think it’s ugly, but I don’t.

X-Man

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2019, 12:46:56 AM »

Hey neighbor, just wondering what is happening with your specific aerodynamics. I have used and am currently using a Freedom Shield windshield on my 18 RG with great success. I can even ride with my regular eye glasses with no wind issues.
If you are using the proper size (windshield coming up to the bottom of your nose) it should be working as designed. When at highway speeds you should be able to take your ungloved hand and slowly run it up along side your helmet until you feel strong wind coming over your shield, which with the proper size shield, should be right at the top of your helmet. If your windshield passes that test try opening the 3 vents in your fairing to reduce buffeting. This time of year I close the bottom left one and leave the other 2 open, unless caught in the rain then I close all 3. Are you wearing a modular helmet with the front open and sitting above your helmet? If all the above is fitted properly you should be good.
Of coarse there is always the BSR factor that most of us deal with for shocks, seats, windshields and even stereos to be considered.

Good luck!

Thanks for your suggestions.

The top of the windshield is level with a point just below my nose. It is about right for viewing over the top of the windshield. I have tied taping a piece of clear plastic sheet to increase the height of the windshield. Adding 1/2 inch made little difference, 1 inch was a minimal improvement but still buffeted, and adding 2 inches was surprisingly worse but with a 2 inch increase in height I am now looking through the windshield rather than over it. The wind is curving over the top of the windshield and hitting the top of my helmet. The problem is that the flow is turbulent and therefore uncomfortable. The lower fairing vents make no difference, closing the top vent makes things worse.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2019, 06:17:16 PM »

im using the clear view medium GT works great for me and the BSR   
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 06:19:40 PM by fastfreddy »
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

barrhill

• barrhil
  • Full CVO Member
    • AB

• CVO1: 2008 CVO RK gold and copper
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO RGC maple
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO RGC mako shark fade
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2019, 12:27:46 PM »

went with a 12 inch madstad will post pictures when I have it will be a while
2019 road glide Mako 2012 road glide  in maple , GMR 117,600 gmr cams , fullsac pipes and slipons , S&S crank and oil pump , TTS ,Barnett scorpion , 58mm oval HPI ,DD7   2008 CVO road king in copper with 16 apes ,fullsac baffles, SE tuner
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 25 queries.