Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly by wire..........High Idle condition  (Read 11829 times)

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
Fly by wire..........High Idle condition
« on: May 13, 2009, 07:55:25 PM »

:nervous:
Ummmmph......Maybe ya'all have discussed this before and I have not reviewed it.  My dealer made me aware this (might) happen and it did!!!   Normally,  after a (prolonged time to me) for warm-up,  my new bike idles at about 9500 rpms.

However,  yesterday it (for some reason) decided it wanted to idle at about 1300-1400 rpms......This was an aggrevation and the (remedy) as told to me by the service mgr was to stop the engine and then leave the "run" switch on and then cycle the ignition switch on/off at least 4 times.

Supposedly,  this "resets" the idle speed back to normal.........I tried it and next time out.....it seemed to be OK.

Anyone else had this problem. :-\   The service mgr indicated that sometimes the computer (ecm) gets the idle speed confused and does this....... :nixweiss: 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Fly by wire..........High Idle condition
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 08:05:04 PM »

:nervous:

Normally...  my new bike idles at about 9500 rpms.

Holy chit ??? !    :huepfenlol2:

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 08:05:31 PM »

IF when you turn off the bike at the right grip switch, you inadvertently twist the throttle open a little bit in the process, it will reset the idle higher..

jb

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 08:28:43 PM »

:biggthumpup:  OOOOOOOOOOOppps,  maybe I should have said....normal idle = 950 rpms.......like that better :-\

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 09:07:01 PM »

I was under the impression that the high idle problem should have been corrected for the '09 model year, but perhaps not if you have an early build.  The following gives some history of the issue:
------------------------------
TT380 – June 12, 2008 - High Idle Complaints on 2008 Touring Models High Idle Complaints on 2008 Touring Models

Due to ’08 Electronic Throttle Control calibration strategy parameters and throttle grip sensor variability some customers have experienced intermittent changes in idle RPMs. This condition is caused by a change in the zero position stored to memory in the ECM, as determined by the last four readings seen at key OFF. This cannot increase engine speed while riding but would change the idle RPM, similar to adjusting the throttle stop screw on a carbureted model.
To correct this condition we will be making several changes to the throttle grip sensor to reduce voltage variances and also update the way the calibration’s strategy looks at and records these voltages. Completion of these changes and test validation will take several months.
In the interim we have released revised calibrations in the latest version of Digital Tech to alleviate the high idle concerns for those customers experiencing the condition. The current software version (1.004.001) and details of the changes can be viewed by selecting the What’s New button on the home screen of DTII. This info is also on h-dnet under:  Service>Tools & Equipment Info>DTII>Version Updates-What’s New.

The new calibrations will leave the ECM powered up for 10 seconds after key OFF to complete housekeeping, allowing the rider more opportunity to release the throttle grip, so the throttle control can return to true zero before the ECM power is shutdown. This should eliminate rider induced zeroing issues. Additionally, the new calibrations will be less sensitive to voltage changes due to an increased dead-band in the operating strategy. Under certain conditions and riding styles some customers may notice a slightly different throttle feel, or comment on reduced engine responsiveness. This is due to the increased dead-band and will feel similar to a loose throttle cable adjustment on non-ETC vehicles. Therefore, we recommend only reflashing vehicles for customers experiencing the high idle concern and wait for the next version calibrations before updating vehicles on a wider scale.

SE Race Tuner and SE Super Tuner calibrations have not been updated at this time, and reflashing a stock cal over a Tuner cal may only temporarily alleviate the high idle, until you reflash back to a tuner cal. It is recommended anytime you replace ECM, TGS or Reflash the calibration to cycle the ignition switch 4 times, waiting 10 full seconds after keying off between cycles, to relearn zero TGS position.
------------------------------------------

Check with the dealer and see if you have the latest calibration level.  If he downloaded a SERT calibration when you did the 110 race kit, it may not have the new updated throttle settings.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

igofar

• Senior CVO Member
  • IBA #27368
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 12:33:42 PM »

Temporary fix is to turn the ignition on, off, slowly several times. This allows the ECM to relearn where 0 throttle is again.
This condition is caused by riders shutting off the run switch with the throttle slightly open.
Happens to one of our group every time he rides a newer bike...

Brad

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 10:36:43 AM »

Speaking of the fly by wire throttle control.  Mine seems very jumpy especially in lower gears.  If I hit a bump and my wrist moves in a low gear it accelerates immediately.  Is there an adjustment in the response time? It's too good.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 12:48:34 PM »

Speaking of the fly by wire throttle control.  Mine seems very jumpy especially in lower gears.  If I hit a bump and my wrist moves in a low gear it accelerates immediately.  Is there an adjustment in the response time? It's too good.

Should be able to remedy sensitivity by lowering values in the throttle progressivity table.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 10:01:41 AM »

>:(
Well,  I will be visiting the dealer about it this week.  It happened again a couple of times yesterday during the rally.  I tried the on/off switch routine and it went from idling around 12-1300 rpms to 1800 rpms after the "drill".

Now,  sippin' a few at Poohs and a couple of hours later,  it seems to (after cooling down) to correct itself :-\

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 03:44:17 PM »

Welcome to the world of Throttle By Wire and intermittent high idle speed.  My '08 continues to have the problem even though I am absolute sure that the throttle grip has returned.  I have gone even as far as waiting for a 10 count to allow the bike to completely idle down before shutting it down.

I believe the real key is in this sentence:

To correct this condition we will be making several changes to the throttle grip sensor to reduce voltage variances and also update the way the calibration’s strategy looks at and records these voltages. Completion of these changes and test validation will take several months.

It is not the operator, but voltage variances within the TGS. 
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 11:55:58 PM »

Temporary fix is to turn the ignition on, off, slowly several times. This allows the ECM to relearn where 0 throttle is again.
This condition is caused by riders shutting off the run switch with the throttle slightly open.
Happens to one of our group every time he rides a newer bike...

Brad

Service Bulletin says to turn the ignition on then off 15 seconds then on, off 15 seconds doing this five times in concession. Make sure Run switch is set on Run :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 27 queries.