Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: primary oil leak  (Read 2410 times)

Robertgmitchell

• FLHRSEI.ORG
primary oil leak
« on: August 18, 2007, 07:04:12 PM »

Hey EVO guys. My 85 wide glide is leaking out of the drive sproket shaft seal. I put red tranny fluid in so I know it's primary fluid. It runs down the inner primary cover. I just ordered the gaskets and seals and bearing from my local shop "Lucky Cycles".

Is there any trick to this, or do I just press in the seal and bearing and slap it back together? Do I need to check the main shaft to see if it is rough? And if it is I guess I will pull the trans and have it rebuilt.

Help me get to Delmarva Bike week this sept with no leaks!

Thanks
RGM
----------------------------------------------------------
Let's roll...

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: primary oil leak
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 01:01:52 AM »

Check the shaft for burrs and check the bearings for any play.  If' they've got any movement, then check the tranny shaft for the same thing.  Then you know whether you need to get into the tranny or not.  If there's no play anyplace, still take a REAL hard look at the tranny shaft seal.  Since it's staring you in the face once the primary is off, I'd have to be REALLY sure it was perfect for me to consider not replacing it while I was there.  Delamrva is always a good place to ride.  Lived a couple of years in Salisbury and Ocean City, years ago.  Was back a couple of months ago.  That area has really grown.  Has it exploded down in VA as well?  Use to be nothing as you headed south out of Salisbury, maybe Crisfield, then almost nothing until you crossed the bridge tunnel.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 21 queries.