Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Excessive Oil Consumption 117  (Read 2175 times)

Zubaugh

• Bob @ Deals Gap
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

Excessive Oil Consumption 117
« on: May 12, 2019, 12:53:37 PM »

I know there are other posts on this topic but I thought I would create this because I have not seen one referencing the M8 117 CVO. I rode my 09 110 CVO 93K mile before trading up for my 2018 Anniversary CVO. My 110 never needed additional oil between its 5K maintenance.

I am preparing for Rolling Thunder, a 2K plus round trip ride for me. I had my CVO service at 1K miles and there was nothing unusual mentioned by my dealer. I have 3,135 mile currently and notice my oil level for some reason is extremely low. If it was full I might consider waiting for the 5K service. But it is more than a quart low. On the side stand cold the dipstick is showing below the Arrow and only up to the “D” of the Add Oil. I went for a short ride, about 5 miles to heat the oil (SYN3) and when I returned it was below the Add QT on both the side stand and straight up. I will take this to my dealer (100 miles one way) and have the fluids changed in all holes. Maybe he can enlighten me :-)

From what I gather from other post on the M8 this is not uncommon and some dealers are saying the MOCO says 1QT every 1K miles is normal. If this is true all I can say is this: this 2018 CVO Limited Anniversary is a sweet ride but I much prefer the reliability of my 90 CVO Ultra 110.

If anyone has constructive thoughts I would appreciate them as I leave for Rolling Thunder a week from this Wednesday.
18 CVO Limited Anniversary

J.D.

Re: Excessive Oil Consumption 117
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 01:11:55 PM »

Could be sumping.

Zubaugh

• Bob @ Deals Gap
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 01:34:52 PM »

Thank you,

I found SB1450 procedure that addresses SB1450 Sumping and will ask the dealer when I ride in.  I have not noticed and power issue and don't know how I can tell if it sumping.  I see in the bulletin there is a way the dealer can check it. 

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 03:39:30 PM »

Let it idle while you sit on it keeping the bike upright for about 5 mins (not sure on the exact timeframe so you may want to read some of the sumping threads).

Then shut it down follow normal procedure to check oil level. If it’s back to normal you’re sumping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 10:14:01 PM »

Some 110s suffered from excessive oil consumption and the MoCo claimed 1qt per 1000 miles was within the norm (it wasn't really, but that claim gave the MoCo an out).  However, the M8 hasn't had any excessive oil consumption issues that I'm aware of.  That leads me to believe your bike may be sumping.  The oil is still in your bike - it's just in the wrong place. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 10:45:10 PM »

It is pretty easy to determine if the bike actually "consumed" the missing oil or if it is just trapped in the sump and not being returned to the oil pan.  Any Harley dealership can take care of warranty work, you don't have to travel to your selling dealer to have this diagnosed unless you just want to do so.  If time is of the essence, I'd suggest finding a local dealership to at least do the diagnostics per the Harley bulletin so you will know what kind of problem you really have.  If it is sumping, they could easily and quickly add the oil pump housing and seal Harley started installing on the 2019's in production.  That seems to have helped on many bikes, and perhaps it would at least let you make your scheduled trip.  Just a thought.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Zubaugh

• Bob @ Deals Gap
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 07:07:40 AM »

Let it idle while you sit on it keeping the bike upright for about 5 mins (not sure on the exact timeframe so you may want to read some of the sumping threads).

Then shut it down follow normal procedure to check oil level. If it’s back to normal you’re sumping.

I don't understand.    Yesterday I rode about 5 miles to heat the oil.  When I got home the dipstick showed 1 QT low.  After cooling down it was showing below the Arrow and only up to the “D” of the Add Oil.  If I sit on it straight up for 5 min it will begin to heat the oil but not hot so I what would be normal? Thank you for helping

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 08:00:35 AM »

The purpose of letting the bike idle five minutes while holding it upright (level) is to allow the oil pump to move as much oil as possible from the sump to the oil pan.  Don't touch the throttle, just let it idle.  Then after shutting the engine off check the oil level again and see if it has increased from your earlier check.  If the oil level is significantly higher than it was prior to this procedure, it's a very good indication you have a sumping problem.  In other words, check the oil level immediately before doing this five minute idle process, then compare to the reading you get after this process.  The small amount of difference due to temperature after idling for five minutes isn't important; if it's sumping the difference you see will be more dramatic than that.

Jerry
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 08:04:19 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Zubaugh

• Bob @ Deals Gap
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 08:23:32 AM »

The purpose of letting the bike idle five minutes while holding it upright (level) is to allow the oil pump to move as much oil as possible from the sump to the oil pan.  Don't touch the throttle, just let it idle.  Then after shutting the engine off check the oil level again and see if it has increased from your earlier check.  If the oil level is significantly higher than it was prior to this procedure, it's a very good indication you have a sumping problem.  In other words, check the oil level immediately before doing this five minute idle process, then compare to the reading you get after this process.  The small amount of difference due to temperature after idling for five minutes isn't important; if it's sumping the difference you see will be more dramatic than that.

Jerry

Thank you Jerry,  That is very helpful

Zubaugh

• Bob @ Deals Gap
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 10:00:52 AM »

Thank you Jerry,  That is very helpful

There was little to no difference before and after

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 11:28:24 AM »

There was little to no difference before and after

Not a sumping problem then IMO.

MCE

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 10:03:06 AM »

Time to examine the spark plugs (all 4). Go from there.

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 24 queries.