Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: "To BEE Stung or not to BEE Stung" is the question  (Read 4803 times)

Sadwings

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NV

"To BEE Stung or not to BEE Stung" is the question
« on: September 08, 2015, 08:31:37 AM »

This is so weird, I need to ask if anyone else experience this...Two weeks ago I was riding to a place called "Top of the Mountain Bar & Grill" in PA...From my house, it was a an awesome ride, until I felt myself getting stung by Bee's. I pulled over immediately, and did the crazy dance for all to see driving past me.   I found no signs of any Bee's, however it felt like I was stung 4 times in the chest area.  I still have some signs from the "so called sting" on my chest from that ride.
This past Sunday, went for another ride...and behold I got hit again, pulled over, crazy dance, etc.  This time it was 2 additional on my chest, and I felt something roll down my right side that left me two "vampire bites"  WTF is going here?  This morning, getting ready for work, and they chest area looks like Mosquitos tore me up...and the small bites are on my side.  I cant figure this out.

Anyway...just thought I'd share my story with you all.

S

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Re: "To BEE Stung or not to BEE Stung" is the question
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 10:16:31 AM »

This is really hard to bee-lieve.  Sorry, I know it's not funny.  Have been stung before but the worse was wearing shorts in High School on my 72 XLCH and having a bird fly into my knee with his beak firmly embedded in there.  He died of a broken neck and I limped for awhile.  Might want to check your clothes before you put them on and check the area where you store them. 

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 02:17:09 PM »

Those guys that wear shorts while they're riding......they'll quit wearing them once they ride through a swarm of bees.  Don't ask me how I'd know.

Back before I was riding with a fairing and windshield I rode through a swarm of bees and got 7 stings in the neck.  Spent that night in the hospital.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 03:04:16 PM »

After being stung many times - I said never again without wearing protective clothing, I seem to have a short memory. Got hit in the forearm 2 week's ago and the tail was left behind. The worst was merging onto I 10 in between 2 semis - in Palm Desert area. Only a shirt on. As I was trying to get in between the trucks, started getting stung around my naval, about 5 bites. Didn't want to react to much at the time. But kept riding and about 2 minutes up the road, felt some strange heart palpitations. Lasted for about a minute then seemed to be ok, just scares the hell outta ya!! Sounds like you might have an allergic reaction. 

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 07:13:38 AM »

Sounds more like spiders in the closet to me. But....... :worthless:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 10:35:51 AM »

check bike over real good for nest on the bike. got in the tractor the other day ( hadn't been in this one in over mos) was bush hoggin around a field. had stopped & gotten out several times then as I was sitting back in the seat, looked up & saw a hude (approx 6" diam) wasp nest, solid yellow with inhabitants. I bailed out hte other side. mind you now, all the bumpin, vibratin from tractor & bush hog & they just sit there. Took a glove & knocked the nest down then stomped it for everything I had. So, look around the bike.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 10:33:45 AM »

BEE'S that way sometimes.  ;D
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

Tibs

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

• CVO1: '15 Limited
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 10:40:35 AM »

Few weeks ago had a yellow jacket get me in the face at 65 right next to my ear on the jaw muscle, 4 times.   Scared the piss out of me when it happened, pull over to a side road and got my gear off as fast as I could and made sure that bugger was gone.   It hurt like fire for a good 30 minutes.   

Three days later I found him dead under the seat - thats how I know it was a yellow jacket.   

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 05:30:23 PM »

I rode with a buddy of mine that had a bad habit of having his mouth open.
He caught 2 bees in his mouth and before he had a chance of spitting them out they got him on the tongue.
He almost got himself a ride to the hospital but his swollen tongue barely let him close his mouth.
I laugh now but it was pretty scary touch and go for a few minuets.

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

ONE2BAJA

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2023 CVO Road Glide FLTRXSE Dark Platium 121vvt
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 05:48:02 PM »

LOL, Harleys aren't made to go down BEE-level roads!  On the serious side it isn't funny.  I've had my fair encounters of the little rascals.  I have always worn proper riding attire, learned that form old skool bikers from day one.  Worst time I was going across a mile long dam with no place to pull over.  Had a bee get in my t-shirt and stung me 7-8 times around the waist.  By the time I was able to find him with one hand and squeeze him, with the other on the handle bars.  There was a car on my ass and not slowing down.  The first turn off I took and the bike chugged to a stop.  I was not letting go of the little B-tard.  The next several days I felt like chit.  By the way...do you know where Bees go to the bathroom?  The BP store!
"The difference between success and failure is the ability to work with a hangover"

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 06:23:46 PM »

The only story I have in this area is when I was test riding a Gold Wing back in the mid 70s, on the highway about 80 MPH, and a damn cicada hit me in the neck, and then went down into my shirt... Which of course was tucked into my pants! Scary as hell, going 80 with that nasty thing buzzing around in there making that loud cicada racket!

I pulled my shirt up out of my pants and danced a bit in the saddle, until that thing found its way out the back of my shirt!

I honestly can't remember if I wet myself or not... But I did get the GW back to the dealer unscathed!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Sadwings

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NV

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 10:06:13 AM »

Thanks for the stories...Wife & I are headed to DELMARVA Bike Week on Wednesday, so I will double the check the bike for any kind of nest or spiders...I still have no clue on what bit me.

Thanks everyone!

S

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 07:52:19 PM »

Back in 67/68 I was riding my 650 BSA. I had just come out of a bent and accelerating when a black dot came out of the tree line (I remember thinking "what the" was as far as I got) and smack dead centre  of my forehead between the eyes (days before required helmets). My head jerked back and all most lost it, I got off to the side of the road my forehead burning like a cigarette lighter had just been pushed against it (is the best way to describe it). After wiping off the yellow smug legs and wings it was a full size bumble bee. The last thing that bee saw was my forehead and it's butt. I think I would prefer the sting then a head to head on with one of those again. I'll never forget that one!!   
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 07:55:45 PM by longlast »

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 02:58:11 AM »

Had to pull over on the shoulder and drop trou once to get a horsefly out.  Could feel him chewing on my leg and he was working his way up to the sensitive parts.  Flew right out when I un-buckled.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 02:38:54 PM »

Try not to over react.. A couple years ago a rookie motorman got a bee in her helmet, she lost control and died.  I have had several, on ein the helmet and the other climbed up a half glove. 
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 12:56:29 AM »

Just the other day while wandering around Oregon I was stung in the Adams Apple......luckily got pulled over in a gas station parking lot .....and the Wife squeezed a bunch of 'juice' and the stinger out. Not really sure what it was that stung me though.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

ACfixer

• Global Warming Enthusiast
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTSCi Springer
    • CVO3: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2015, 06:47:00 PM »

I caught one in the jewels on I-15 about a year ago, words cannot describe it.
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 06:54:04 PM »

:-\

Over the years,  it seems like many of us have had to go thru those "pains".  I can recall an incident back in the late 60's where I was riding with a helmet on my 650 Triumph and a bee/wasp flew into the side of my helmet (between the helmet and my head).........started stinging me and I rode onto someones front yard and dropped the bike and started smacking the side of my helmet to kill it.  Passing cars/trucks must have thought I had gone crazy. :nervous:
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 25 queries.