Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: First Mountain Loop of the Year  (Read 6576 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: First Mountain Loop of the Year
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2011, 04:24:15 PM »

As to fun rides I like Hellbender as much or more and Waya road is always a blast, just to name a couple in the general area.

Agree...Hellbender is great.  I can remember running The Dragon back in the early to mid 70's in a cage (VW Beetles mostly) when going backpacking in the area.  If you can believe it, the speed limit on the Dragon (before it was known as the Dragon) was 55mph.  I can remember commenting about how the hell anyone could drive 55mph on that road.  While the Dragon is technically challenging, and you can't take your eyes off what you're doing even for a nanosecond, the Cherahola is probably my favorite overall run just because of the sweepers and views.

Then, there's the Dragon...sorry for the bug guts on the lens, and the guy on the Star was slowing me up a bit...

Anthen there's Wayah Road....

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 04:36:43 PM by TCnBham »
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2011, 04:34:26 PM »

My opinion on Deal's Gap/The Dragon is that it got famous in part because of a photographer who set up there on weekends.  Daryl Canon  aka killboy.com takes pics there & he takes bike pics for folks to buy in addition to the wreck pics he takes.  The trucks and all busting lanes - in pictures - gives the road a sort of notoriety it would not have were it not documented.

The killboy.com site is one I check regularly because for me it is entertaining.  Have bought a number of pics from Dary & his wife Lori over the years.  Use them as screensavers also - great pics - high def - remind me of riding the Smokies which I truly enjoy.

The Dragon tshirt shop also had a big part in it.  No telling how many tshirts they sell in a year but it's a lot.

As to fun rides I like Hellbender as much or more and Waya road is always a blast, just to name a couple in the general area.

Now I know how some of the folks on here have animated GIF files of themselves coming around curves. It's the same curve and the pictures come from killboy :)

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2011, 05:04:16 PM »

My opinion on Deal's Gap/The Dragon is that it got famous in part because of a photographer who set up there on weekends.  Daryl Canon  aka killboy.com takes pics there & he takes bike pics for folks to buy in addition to the wreck pics he takes.  The trucks and all busting lanes - in pictures - gives the road a sort of notoriety it would not have were it not documented.

The killboy.com site is one I check regularly because for me it is entertaining.  Have bought a number of pics from Dary & his wife Lori over the years.  Use them as screensavers also - great pics - high def - remind me of riding the Smokies which I truly enjoy.

The Dragon tshirt shop also had a big part in it.  No telling how many tshirts they sell in a year but it's a lot.

You forgot to mention the topless pics that he was posting!  Not doing that anymore.  Guess his wife shut him down!
 :huepfenjump3:

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2011, 08:40:59 PM »

Terry - Cherahala overall is one of the best rides anywhere.  Reminds me of stuff out west except it's brown there instead of green, usually. Waya has rocks in corners but man that is one fun time.

When it comes to Bear Tooth Pass or Cherahala who wants to argue over which is best - each ride stands on it's on & at times some roads just "feel" better than others, anyway.  My opinion.

DHog - yep have a couple of gifs myself from kb.  They do GREAT sequence shots.

11hd - Lori posts the pics sometimes on the website.  Daryl is out taking pics a lot.  As for lately no wabobaboobies, but in the past he has said he only posts them if he gets flashed.  Not sure if it is verboten now.  The warmer months (theorectically) seem to be better for that sort of activity.  God bless all those ladies for...well, you know.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2011, 09:46:24 AM »

Please post google links to Hellbender and Waya Rd.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 11:40:53 AM by iski »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2011, 11:46:15 AM »

Another fun run is another part of Hwy 28 - Bryson City Road. South into Franklin, NC is my favorite way to run it - both directions are ok.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=N+Carolina+28+S&daddr=Franklin,+NC+28734&geocode=FfS7GwIdEtQF-w%3BFe3WGAId2bIH-ylbHjQ8GyVZiDElotwAXL1qfQ&hl=en&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=14&sll=35.356506,-83.511114&sspn=0.055371,0.111494&ie=UTF8&ll=35.279539,-83.452835&spn=0.221693,0.445976&z=12

The last part toward Franklin flats out - the first part has the curves.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2011, 11:33:28 PM »

Rode the Snake today all 4 segments.  Not as technical or challenging as Deals Gap a more relaxed ride. Good views.  Nice folks that run the Shady Valley stop. Saw semis busting lanes all the way to the other shoulder on 421.  Not cool.  Cherahala still my favorite eastern US road.  Most of my favorites are still out west.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 11:35:10 PM by iski »

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2011, 09:56:45 AM »

I have done the "Hellbender" just did not know it had a name.

I'll have to look the other one up and try it.

Iski we are coming your way next week but do not know if we have much time to meet up. I will give you more details of the trip on a private message.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 10:30:55 PM »

I have done the "Hellbender" just did not know it had a name.

I'll have to look the other one up and try it.

Iski we are coming your way next week but do not know if we have much time to meet up. I will give you more details of the trip on a private message.

Will buy you a beer if you have time, Doc. 

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2011, 08:41:40 PM »

I like Hellbender as much or more

:2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 23 queries.