Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Beginners Beware"  (Read 1756 times)

mfgreen

"Beginners Beware"
« on: August 25, 2004, 01:55:25 PM »

"Beginners Beware"

Scenery:  
     If you dare to take your eyes off the road you will see some of NC's awesome mountain scenery.

Road Quality:  
     There are some steep drops and lots of tight curves. Hwy 80 can be "interesting" if you encounter a log truck. Traffic is generally light and only locals. 80 is on the narrow side, and has a significant grade. Usually the pavement is in decent to good shape (new blacktop summer of 2001). Curves are banked just right. 226a, 226, and 221 are generally a little more traveled by those dreaded 4 wheel cages but also a lot of fun.  

Roadside Amenities:  
     There are several food and fuel establishments in Marion, NC including an ice cream shop at the intersection 80 and 70. Little Switzerland also has food and lodging. There is a country store at the bottom of 226A that serves burgers and dogs and fuel. There are also several food establishments along the parkway in various locations.

Directions:
     Usually start your ride out of Marion, NC off of hwy 70. Head north on hwy 80 to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Head north/east on the parkway to hwy 226a (Little Switzerland). Head south on 226a until it intersects with 226 and head back north on 226 back up to the parkway. North on the parkway to 221 and head south back down to hwy 70. To get to the suggested starting point in Marion, from Charlotte head north on I-77 to I-40 west. from Ashville, NC take I-40 east into Marion.

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 23 queries.