Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Current HD Sales  (Read 5365 times)

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
Re: Current HD Sales
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2018, 02:04:06 PM »

To use a label that states a product is "Made in the USA", it must meet very specific requirements or the manufacturer can be sued for deceptive Marketing. According to the Federal Government, any product with a "Made in the USA" label must meet this definition:

"A product that is ‘all or virtually all’ made in the United States will be one in which all significant parts and processing that go into the product are of U.S. origin and the product contains negligible foreign content."

https://www.nist.gov/standardsgov/compliance-faqs-made-usa

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2018, 08:43:42 AM »

To use a label that states a product is "Made in the USA", it must meet very specific requirements or the manufacturer can be sued for deceptive Marketing. According to the Federal Government, any product with a "Made in the USA" label must meet this definition:

"A product that is ‘all or virtually all’ made in the United States will be one in which all significant parts and processing that go into the product are of U.S. origin and the product contains negligible foreign content."

Yep.  And my Car and my Truck are both in the top 10 for American Content, F-150 and Corvette.  They break it down by model so Honda has a model that is more American than most American brand cars.  Ford has 3 in top 10 for 2018, Honda has 3 in top 10 for 2018, Chevy has two.

I guess I should have been more clear, at this time Harley has zero plans of importing bike to USA.  What they are building overseas, mostly is that which does not sell well here, the street.

Some day it could happen, I doubt I'll be riding by the time Harley imports to USA, and if I am then I guess I'll be on something else. 
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 08:47:53 AM by FLSTFI Dave »
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2018, 01:13:30 PM »

The sad thing is the majority of the HD accessory crap (clothing, parts, etc.) is made in China.  When I bought my first Harley I was shocked to see the majority of their accessories were imported from China.  So I looked to third party suppliers.  I don't mind paying more for American made items if I can find them.  Third party items are often of superior quality to HD parts anyway.

So, as with the imported parts, HD will continue to increase the imported content of their bikes.  At the rate they are going, they will be able to proudly state "The item was assembled in the USA!"

:oops: :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 01:15:33 PM by charles05663 »
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2018, 01:53:32 PM »

No more new Harley’s for me.  Tired of losing my butt on a new one and tired of fixing their mistakes on my dollar.  CVO’s are way over priced for what we get and worth 1/2 in 4 years.  If I buy another harley it will be a used garage queen low mileage model that someone else lost their butt on.  I will never use a harley part when I can buy a better aftermarket part.  Still enjoy riding the 2014.  Will keep as long as I ride.   :soapbox:

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2018, 06:02:27 PM »

That’s a very troubling and scary report for Harley!
It's scary for the entire industry, Harley just has itself in a unique pickle.

Given the comments regarding cost cutting, sure hope Harley doesn't think they can cost cut themselves back into prosperity. It's going to take investment into quality along with expensive R&D.

They need to build bikes that appeal to buyers based on being a truly competitive product, a quality product and then because it's a Harley. In that order.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

J.D.

« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2018, 09:46:43 PM »

The corporate world is all about year over year growth and meeting key numbers to inflate the stock price.

At some point Harley needs to concede this might not be how things are going to play out.  They might need to shrink production and get back to making better bikes with lower margin to survive.

They still have a strong brand and dealer network to work with, but they need big changes from the top down.

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2018, 09:49:06 PM »

But they do plan on selling the two company jets. That will make everything better.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

mark

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2018, 05:36:06 PM »

But they do plan on selling the two company jets. That will make everything better.

If a multi-billion dollar company is selling a jet to recoup $10 mil, wouldn't that would be like me being in financial distress and finding a $10 bill?  I imagine ditching the corporate jet has more to do with optics for the stock holders and the board of directors.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 25 queries.