Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Air Shock Control  (Read 4116 times)

07 CVO Road King

Air Shock Control
« on: March 12, 2010, 07:05:30 AM »

Does any one have this product or something like it?  I'm always changing the pressure in my rear shocks depending on if I'm riding solo, daughter or Wife on bike.  Something like this would simplify things greatly.
http://www.customcyclecontrols.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=124/home_id=124/mode=cat/cat124.htm

Van

hooligan

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: 09 XB12X Buell Ulysses
    • CVO3: 05 XL883C
Re: Air Shock Control
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 12:51:14 PM »

I was looking at the same item. Saw their AD in American Iron Mag. Hopfully someone in the forum has had some experience with them. :)
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

Razor Red
SE Heavy Breather
V & H Slip ons
Power Commander 3 usb
Diamond cut Cylinders and Heads
True Track
Chrome Inner Primary & Tons of Chrome

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 04:27:03 PM »

Before I'd spend $300 to boot strap a set of controls on top of what are already poor shocks I'd spend $450 to $600 and remove them for a pair of good shocks.

07 CVO Road King

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 04:47:57 PM »

2LR, any sugestions?  Stay with the air shocks?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 04:59:01 PM »

2LR, any sugestions?  Stay with the air shocks?

I wouldn't unless the alternatives were deemed too costly.  Some far better-than-stock alternatives come from Works Shocks, Progressive Suspension, Suspension Technology and Bitubo.  Some manufacturers have more than one model.  Beyond those Legend has their own air shock system that is regarded by most to be far better than the stock system. 

07 CVO Road King

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 05:08:40 PM »

I like the looks of Traxxion's Bitubo they sound like a great product.  I guess I just need to do some shoping and research on this.  I would like something I can adjust for solo riding or pasenger on board. 

Van

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 06:18:20 PM »

I like the looks of Traxxion's Bitubo they sound like a great product.  I guess I just need to do some shoping and research on this.  I would like something I can adjust for solo riding or pasenger on board. 

Van

I've got the Bitubo shocks on the rear of my 05 SEEG and the Progressive 440s on the rear of the SERG. Those are probably the bookends of levels of improvement we're likely to consider with Bitubos being about the best and the 440s being the entry level of improvement gain.  Others falling in between.

There's many others out there "less" than the 440s that don't do much more than the OE pieces do.  But there's no reason to go there for such limited gain anyway.

The Bitubos definitely offer a better ride than the Progressives.  But, of course, they cost more.  The Progressives will bottom out and will do so with some significant report.  The Bitubos can hardly ever be forces that far.  Both are significant improvements over stock.  Make the bikes ride much much better and with much improved handling. 

The stock Showas just aren't that great of a shock.  The systems nearly all leak a little so you're too often topping off the air pressure.  The shocks are weak and don't handle that well.  I honestly can't think of a single reason to spend a dime accessorizing the stock shocks in any way when that same money could replace the shocks and actually make the bikes more comfortable to ride and better handling.

07 CVO Road King

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 08:33:36 PM »

Thanks 2lanerider.  Very good info.  I will probably replace the stock with aftermaket.  The Bitubo's sound great.  I'm going to check out the progressive.

hooligan

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: 09 XB12X Buell Ulysses
    • CVO3: 05 XL883C
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 12:33:27 AM »

Sounds like good advice ..I have read many articles that complain of $5 shocks on harleys but thought that was limited to coil overs and not air.. Thanks for the input. :2vrolijk_21:
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

Razor Red
SE Heavy Breather
V & H Slip ons
Power Commander 3 usb
Diamond cut Cylinders and Heads
True Track
Chrome Inner Primary & Tons of Chrome

07 CVO Road King

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 05:58:55 AM »

2lanerider, Did you ever try the Ricors in the front?  I was reading on another thread where you were thinking about it.  It looks like Ricor has developed a rear shock, but is just taking deposits right now.  Sounds like a quality product.

Van

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 11:39:56 AM »

2lanerider, Did you ever try the Ricors in the front?  I was reading on another thread where you were thinking about it.  It looks like Ricor has developed a rear shock, but is just taking deposits right now.  Sounds like a quality product.

Van

No I didn't Van.  The red bike (the 05) has the Bitubo shocks on the rear and AK20 kit in the front.  The other red bike (the 00) has the Progressives on the rear and is going to get the Progressive monotube kit in the front sometime this spring if I get around to it.  The parts are here I just have to get it done some weekend/evening/whatever.

Ended up choosing the Progressive kit over the Ricor out of a combination of curiosity and service ease.  Was both curious with and pleased with the idea of the sealed kit.

07 CVO Road King

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 05:14:16 PM »

Thanks for all the help.  There are alot of products / manufactures to read about and consider.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 05:55:24 PM »

Thanks for all the help.  There are alot of products / manufactures to read about and consider.

Yes there are (many options).  A true purveyor of the "CVO Psychopathy Experience" sees that as a challenge though.  Indeed, if gives on a goal to pursue.  The challenge, my riding buddy, is to get enough bikes to be able to make side by side comparisons of them all :drink: .

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 12:43:42 PM »

Before I'd spend $300 to boot strap a set of controls on top of what are already poor shocks I'd spend $450 to $600 and remove them for a pair of good shocks.

totally agree!
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

07 CVO Road King

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 06:59:52 AM »

Thanks for the help.  After thinking about it long and hard I will go with the Bitubo's.  Now next step is convince my Wife.  Its easier to sell it as a safety issue.  Either that or maybe I'll just start hitting a lot of bumps while she is riding.  ;)

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 22 queries.