Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 13 cvo road King test ride. ...  (Read 2851 times)

06Ultraman

13 cvo road King test ride. ...
« on: July 13, 2013, 03:38:48 PM »

I have a ten cvo ultra.  Was test riding this bike cz most of my riding is close to home.   Hour out hour back fun rides and thought I was tired of the fairing.   Beautiful bike.   Quick!   Love the stretch bags and Chrome wheels.   Bieber the ride was very harsh!   Jumped me of the seat on bumps!   Found out they have cheesy rear shocks that only adjust the coil spring response.  On a cvo!? Lol...  my ultra has air adjustable shocks.    Smooth.....  plus all the stuff I'd have to add to it. ... the matching King tour pack is 2 Grand I'm told.    Is spend about 5 Grand over the 30k to make it what I need.   The old story with harley. ... sqweeze the customers when cvo should be the best of everything! !!!!!   Disappointed.   Love the look of the bike.   

ozrobo

• Junior CVO Member
Re: 13 cvo road King test ride. ...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 08:33:30 PM »

Can't disagree with the rear shocks. Nasty things they are. Thinking on putting some air under mine also..

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 08:35:06 PM »

You think the shocks are harsh on the CVO King, you should have tried the CVO Road Glide or CVO Street glide back when they were the one inch lower air!  These hydraulic shocks are much better, but still firm due to one inch less travel.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 10:58:52 PM »

I don't thiink I've ever found anyone who really thought the 12" air shocks from Harley were plush.  Many called them pure junk, but none called them plush.  Even the 13" version on the Ultra's can't really be called plush or even good.

If you want better suspension control plus comfort, you will most likely need to go to the aftermarket.  Yes, the bikes should come from the factory with good suspensions.  They should also come with reliable powertrains and electrical systems plus a longer factory warranty.  As long as they can get people to plunk down up to $40K for the stuff they peddle, they obviously don't intend to do those things. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dave726

• CVO1: '13 FLHRSE5 Anniv #61/900
    • CVO2: '05 FLHRCI 95ci, 92hp, 102'#
    • CVO3: '00 FLHRCUI 95ci
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 08:16:13 AM »

I got my FLHRSE5 Anni on 9/12/13. I just had the 20K service on it plus new rubber front and rear and EBC brake pads. It's my third Road King. I don't like a fairing because it feels too confined and I don't want the extra weight on the front. I like the rear shocks. The spring preload is perfect for me, as I can add what's necessary depending on how much I'm carrying. It's as smooth as the Progressive shocks I had on my '05 and much more responsive than the garbage Harley air shocks I took off that '05. But then I'm an aggressive rider in the mountains. A plush ride is for Ultra riders and trike riders. I love it when I've cut a switchback right and scrape a floorboard.

I did add the Anni tourpak with LED luggage rack and side marker lamps, changed the dumb 2 piece seat that poked me in the tailbone for the hammock seat, added LED headlight with Kisan LED modulator and put driving lamps back on like a Road King should have for night riding visibility. I scrapped the cruiser handlebar turn signals and put them under the driving lamps. I dumped the mailbox windshield for the one off my '05 as the wind noise rushing past my ears was so loud that I couldn't hear the 200 watt speakers. The mailbox also wasn't wind tunnel tested for nighttime bugs hitting my chin.

I ride with a Zumo 665, so I can play XM Blues most of the time and mp3s when mountains block XM. The audio jacks right into the sound system in the left saddlebag. Handlebar controls volume and selection between the Zumo and the iPod Nano Harley supplies.

I've had no power train or electrical problems. And yep, almost $40K into it, but it's the best FLHR I've owned.
No regrets, no maybe’s, live for today.

HJP

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 01:52:46 PM »

You can adjust the pre load of the shock to make them stiffer or softer.  Also don't have to worry about making sure the air has not leaked out of the air shocks. 

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 08:03:14 PM »

I got my FLHRSE5 Anni on 9/12/13. I just had the 20K service on it plus new rubber front and rear and EBC brake pads. It's my third Road King. I don't like a fairing because it feels too confined and I don't want the extra weight on the front. I like the rear shocks. The spring preload is perfect for me, as I can add what's necessary depending on how much I'm carrying. It's as smooth as the Progressive shocks I had on my '05 and much more responsive than the garbage Harley air shocks I took off that '05. But then I'm an aggressive rider in the mountains. A plush ride is for Ultra riders and trike riders. I love it when I've cut a switchback right and scrape a floorboard.

This is my First Road King, and I agree with you on the fairing of the Bat Wing, which is why I will never own one.  Love the Road Glide though, and am on my second CVO road glide. 

My CVO King is my local hot rod for the twisty roads and mountains.  That's why the motor is built.

On my 09 CVO road glide I replaced the 12 inch air shocks with progressive 944's, much better than the air shocks.  These Hyd units that came on my 12 CVO road glide and on my 13 CVO King.  I think they are as good as the progressives.  They are firm as they need to be for handling the tight curves. 

I will be adding Mono tubes to the front of the king as stock is to soft, and to much dive.  Loved the stock hight mono tubes on my 09 CVO road glide.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 02:13:25 AM »

Visited local HD Dealer for HD Demo ride.

Rode 13 CVO Roadking just wanting to compare my 2009 FLTRSE3 to the new improved 2013.

I will be keeping the 2009.

The slip assist Clutch what a terrible feeling. Going from accelerating to coasting there is a very strong jerk. As the slip ramps up and down.
The transmission whines in 1st gear your can hear it across the parking lot.
Every gear change send a sharp pulse through the clutch lever. The V-Rod clutch slave cylinder must the reason
The friction zone on the clutch sucks. No movement of the bike until the last 1/8 of the throw.

HD nice try but not improved compared to the old girl.

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 08:32:10 PM »

Brad, I guess different strokes for different folks.

I think the slipper clutch is the very nicest addition to the 13 CVO's.  Nothing like being able to drop a gear fast in tight curve and not have the back end slide.  I think it is great for aggressive riding in the mountains.

In fact I have to remind my self on my 12 CVO road glide I cant do that.  If it was not so expensive I would add it to the 12.

The master cylinder for the clutch is the same as the one on my 12 CVO road glide.  Seems like the clutch was not adjusted correct on the one you test road.  I really think the hyd clutch master cylinder is also the same as was on my 09 CVO road glide.

captainron62

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 07:48:35 AM »

Funny how we all see things differently.  I love all the changes on my 13 CVO RK.  I compare the new bike to my 07 CVO RK and my 12 RG.  I like the new shocks, I had to switch our the shocks on my 12 RG to Progeressive, no need to do that on my 13, just had to find the right adjustment which took only one ride.  The GF even commented on how nice the ride is.

I too like the clutch, I switched the clutch on my 12 RG to a hydraulic set up because I was spoiled by the 07 CVO RK.  I have been buying Harleys since 1992 and this is my favorite bike thus far.  The 07 CVO RK is a pure hot rod, but his is refined comfort combined with a beast of a motor.

So far I added a Bassani true dual system, Race tuner, Complete LED lighting system and bought two different seats.  I use a Mustang Daytripper when I need extra comfort and I use a spoon seat when tooling around town.

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 24 queries.