Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Heated Grips  (Read 5975 times)

05Rider

• Full CVO Member
Heated Grips
« on: March 30, 2007, 11:01:43 PM »

I purchased these grips for my SEEG2.  http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448767233&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309139915&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309139915&bmUID=1175309040743&bmLocale=en_US

The dealer told me that it would take five hours of labor to put them on.  Due to the face that our bikes have internally wired handlebars.  See below stated info from the HD catalog.

56750-04A

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Fits '96-later models. Not compatible with internally wired handlebars.

Has anyone installed heated grips to their bike  :huh2:.  If so how did you do it and how long did it take to do it.  I would rather have heated grips than heated gloves.  Any info would be greatly helpful.

Ride Safe  :helmet:
Freedom pipes, PC III, SE Air Cleaner
Tour Pak & Saddlebags LED Brakelight Kits
Kuryakyn Deluxe L.E.D. Taillight Conversion & LED F & R Running Lights & Turn Signals

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Heated Grips
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 11:05:02 PM »

I purchased these grips for my SEEG2.  http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448767233&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309139915&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309139915&bmUID=1175309040743&bmLocale=en_US

The dealer told me that it would take five hours of labor to put them on.  Due to the face that our bikes have internally wired handlebars.  See below stated info from the HD catalog.

56750-04A

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Fits '96-later models. Not compatible with internally wired handlebars.

Has anyone installed heated grips to their bike  :huh2:.  If so how did you do it and how long did it take to do it.  I would rather have heated grips than heated gloves.  Any info would be greatly helpful.

All the SEUC guys for 06-07 have them.  Came stock.  Can think of a few that added them to the SEEGs with the stock bars still on the bike too.  They'll go.

However....

Lots of people have had not just failures but even repeated failures with Harley's heated grips.  Apparently not HD's best manufacturing efforts there.  So..... good luck.

05Rider

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 11:36:54 PM »

Twolanerider, thanks for your quick reply.  I remember reading about someone adding the flame heated grips and said that they were more comfortable than the stealth collection set.    I guess I will keep looking into this until I find something that I would like.  I had heated grips on my BMW and they were great.  Never ever had a problem with them.  Maybe because they only have two settings instead of the six setting that are on the Harley's heated grips.

Ride Safe :helmet:
Kuryakyn Deluxe L.E.D. Taillight Conversion & LED F & R Running Lights & Turn Signals

robc

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 02:55:40 PM »

WOW .....
5 hours labor. Had the electric grips installed before
delivery of my 07 Ultra (not the SE version)
and was only charged 2 hours at $65 and hour.

Rob ...
Delivery day (3/30/07) of my 07 Ultra Black Cherry/Pewter

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 03:43:23 PM »

Having changed bars out on my bike, I can assure you that the heated grips would be a big PITA to change with the bars on the bike.  My 06SEUC came with the heated grips...bike purchased June of 06...heat on the grips used MAYBE a total of 100 hours riding time, and that's a liberal (oops, did I say that word?) estimate.  They failed January '07.  If I can get the dealer to replace and let ME install them, I might replace them once...if not, I'll just tell people the knob on the end of the left one is a tuner for the GPS Satellites.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 04:00:19 PM »

Having changed bars out on my bike, I can assure you that the heated grips would be a big PITA to change with the bars on the bike.  My 06SEUC came with the heated grips...bike purchased June of 06...heat on the grips used MAYBE a total of 100 hours riding time, and that's a liberal (oops, did I say that word?) estimate.  They failed January '07.  If I can get the dealer to replace and let ME install them, I might replace them once...if not, I'll just tell people the knob on the end of the left one is a tuner for the GPS Satellites.

Heated grips on the bike failed after 10 hours or so - max - of use.  Bad switch - left grip.

Dealer replaced them at n/c since bike was nearly new & in full warranty.  They work great now, except I do not need them for a few months except possibly in the mountains in June.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 01:15:03 PM »

I had three sets of the stealth heated grips replace, the chrome came completely off one of the sets and looked horrible.  There was a set of the flame grips in the store so I asked if they would just go ahead and swap for those, and they are way more comfortable to my hand.  That one has been replaced too, at least once.  I would never ever ever buy them again, but when they work, man are they nice.  I think it may be advisable at this point to look at a non- HD part since to me, their failure rate is waaaaaay tooooo high to trust their product at this time.  Now they did extend the warranty to one year, and if you stay on top of timing and try the grips out regularily even when it is hot, maybe you would not have a problem.  Good luck with which ever direction you decide to take.   ;)

05Rider

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 10:42:22 PM »

Mrs.WeCVO, thanks so much for your info.  I am not sure which route  :nixweiss: that I am going to take yet.  How much did your dealer charge to put the grips on?

Ride Safe :helmet:

Tros

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 11:00:11 PM »

I was wondering about the failure rate for the heated grips.  Know I know, thanks.   I had already been advised against using them with internally wired bars.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 06:34:38 AM »

...How much did your dealer charge to put the grips on?

I dont remember how much it cost to install the grips, since that was part of a huge laundry list of add ons at initial service. (Jan 05) I have been extremely lucky since that the replacements have all been under warranty.  They are really fantastic when they work. 

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 03:42:28 PM »

I have replaced my stealth heated grips x1 due to the chrome wearing out. I have never had an electrical failure in the heated grips and here's why:
  When you install the grips; 
  1) throw the crappy instructions away.
  2) run the hot wire, (red I think) and the switch wire, (orange) together and hook them to a relay.
  3) buy an extra accessory switch to fit in the blank in the fairing switch housing.
  4) Set the grips on 6 and turn them on and off with the switch.
It's the switch on the end of the left grip thats the problem, so just set it on 6 and cycle the grips with the acc switch.
  You can adjust the temp with the factory rheostat from time to time if you wish but don't use it for on and off too often or it will fail.
  Oh, I almost forgot, if you want grips that really get hot like they're supposed to, the more rubber and less chrome they have, the better they will work, so the best ones are the smooth plain rubber grips with the chrome band on the outboard ends.....but.........in time the top layer of rubber begins to wear and blister, but they still work great, at least that's been my experience with them. That particular set of grips was on my heritage classic and failed on HIGH, and yes it was in the summertime, so I just put an on and off switch with relay on them.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 03:49:19 PM by MObe »
MObe

05Rider

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 02:05:20 PM »

MObe, Thanks for the great info.  So let me get this straight, you always leave the grip setting on 6 (aka hot).  You use the accessory switch as your on-off switch.  My bike has the internally wired handlebars.  Will this cause me any problems due to the internal wiring of my handlebars?

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 11:46:42 PM »

Right, I mostly just leave it on 6.
  The stealth heated grips just don't get that hot.
  This won't cause any problems with internal wiring. Mine are also internally wired through a set of flanders bars, (1 inch diameter, same as stock diameter).
  Of course you want to make sure that your circuit includes a fuse between the orange and red wires that you have tied together and hot off of the relay, ( or the hot to the relay).
MObe

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 04:11:50 PM »

I went to the dealer to buy a set last year and the service manager talked me out of it. He told me they were a major pain in his butt.
I bought Gerbings heated gloves instead and I love them. :)

05Rider

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 10:52:13 PM »

Thanks for all the info :2vrolijk_21:.  I think I will start looking into getting some heated gloves.

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 01:43:47 AM »

I've also got the gerbings gloves and they are excellent.
I generally get the most use out of the heated grips during the spring and fall or on cool summer evenings. For the really cold stuff the grips stay off and out come the gerbings!
MObe

Tros

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 09:00:10 PM »

I went to the dealer to buy a set last year and the service manager talked me out of it. He told me they were a major pain in his butt.
I bought Gerbings heated gloves instead and I love them. :)

Where is a good place to buy Gerbing heated gloves?

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 09:13:18 PM »

There are probably cheaper deals but I went straight to Gerbings:  http://www.gerbing.com/

Tros

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 09:25:44 PM »

There are probably cheaper deals but I went straight to Gerbings:  http://www.gerbing.com/

Thanks.  :)

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 12:52:11 AM »

You can also get them at your local HD dealer. The HD heated clothing is Gerbings!
MObe
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 24 queries.