Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Taller Gearing  (Read 877 times)

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
Taller Gearing
« on: July 17, 2005, 02:10:03 PM »

I Spent Friday evening installing a 34 tooth transmission pulley and I love it, scooter still pulls real hard and a much needed reduction in R's at hyway speeds. Just coming back from a little putt, I can now bury the speedo in 4th gear and 1st gear is actually useful now. Paid $90 for the pulley from karata and got overdrive for about $2500 less than what a 6 speed tranny would have cost me!!! [smiley=beerchug.gif]
Oh yeah my though was to do this for my trip to Sturgis and put it back to stock when I got home but this is where this scooter should be geared from the factory. My reduction in R's is 6% @ 80 mph doing about 2800-2900 rpm now. I will post more upon some 2up riding.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 02:17:14 PM by the_ofender »
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Taller Gearing
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 03:31:24 PM »

Which of the several gadgets available to adjust for a change did you use to get the speedo accurate again?

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 09:47:08 AM »

None yet just donig a lot of math in my head but I have been lookin' at the digital dakota. Are their others? Please share the information with me.
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 10:43:51 AM »

There are electronic boxes that plug inline with the stock speedo wiring to correct the speedo with six speed transmissions.  They should work equally well with your modifications.  RevTech & Baker sell them, as well as the various bike catalogs like J&P, Drag Specialties, Custom Chrome, etc.  Asking price if I remember correctly is a little over $100.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 11:21:55 AM »

None yet just donig a lot of math in my head but I have been lookin' at the digital dakota. Are their others? Please share the information with me.

There are several but the only one I've ever used myself is a unit that Dakota Digital offers.  Have used it three times, once on a bike of my own and twice on buddy's stuff.  In that limited experience the unit always worked flawlessly and was pretty easy to install and adjust.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 11:58:57 AM »

Here's the description of an S&S unit made specifically for your situation:

Speedometer Calibrator by S&S Cycle    
OEM Electronic speedometers are not adjustable, and any change in tire size or pulley size causes inaccurate readings. The Speedometer Calibrator allows the rider to correct electronic speedometers easily and without special tools test equipment. Adjustments can be made between -29% and +69% in 1% increments. Unit is plugged in-line with the speedometer and sender. Small size permits easy mounting. Sealed for protection against the elements. Calibrator remains attached to motorcycle, and removing it returns speedometer to OEM calibration. Easy to use, instructions included. Made in the USA.
Note: Does not work on 6-speed overdrive transmissions.

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 22 queries.