Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with torque sequence and specs.  (Read 5083 times)

05_Candyman

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Help with torque sequence and specs.
« on: March 16, 2006, 04:55:32 PM »

I picked up one of those auto tensioners for my primary yesterday and my service manual won't be in for almost a couple weeks they told me. I just need to know the sequence and torque specs for the outer primary cover and derby cover ... a pic would be great. I know the derby cover goes on in a star pattern and I would assume you start from the inside out for the primary in a criss-cross fassion, but I'm not positive and I don't know the inch pounds in torque for either one. I want to make sure everything is right, but I don't feel like waiting two weeks for my book.I should've asked this stuff at the dealer, but I guess I forgot in all the excitement. :-[

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Help with torque sequence and specs.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 05:01:08 PM »

The cover should be tightened as you described in a criss-cross pattern. The bolts get torqued to 90-120 inch pounds.

05_Candyman

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 08:15:53 PM »

Thanks, I appreciate it. [smiley=drink.gif] After fiddling with my inch pound wrench before pulling the cover I found the primary was about 100 and the derby cover was about 45-50 inch pounds. I just wanted to be sure, thanks again. This tensioner is pretty slick, they should've had them years ago. I had 3/4" of play at the top of the chain before taking the old one off and with the new one in and set correctly I only had 1/4" of play afterwards. Woo-Hoo! No more adjusting the primary chain! [smiley=banana.gif]

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 09:10:12 PM »

Candyman,

Make sure you get the two different length screws in the right holes, there are 5 short ones and 5 longer ones.  See attachment for screw length and torque sequence.  The torque spec for the primary cover, the clutch inspection cover, and the primary chain inspection cover are all 84 - 108 in-lbs.

Which adjuster did you install, the H-D, the Hayden, or the hydraulic one?  I have the Hayden, and love it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

05_Candyman

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 10:32:48 PM »

Thanks Jerry, I got the Harley one. I made a template out of a cardboard box with a drawing of the primary and bolt holes and put all the bolts where they came from so there wasn't any confusion ... sounds hokey, but it worked ok. I did the torque sequence a little different from the diagram, but I'm sure it'll be fine. I started at the top bolt (#2 in your pic) and then went to the one under that and kept criss-crossing (diagonally) until I was finished. Thanks for the nice pics and I would go back and do it that way, but I already have the oil in. I torqued them all to 105" lbs. so that should do.

I finally got my Red Line oil so I also changed the tranny and filled it with the Heavy Shockproof. That's some wicked stuff, it looked almost like Pepto Bismol (except it was darker and almost as thick too). The stream of oil going into the funnel was so thick it sort of piled up in the pool of oil and looked like an upside-down tornado ... never seen that before. I can't wait to try everything out if the weather gives me a chance.

Hey, I forgot to ask ... Did your tensioner take away that clunk when you shift and did you notice anything else afterwards? I read an article the other day in a local mag here and that was one of the benefits they talked of. I got it for that and the main reason is I love the fact it's maintenance free now ... just let the spring do it's job. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Brian
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 10:38:50 PM by 05_Candyman »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 08:04:17 PM »

..............I finally got my Red Line oil so I also changed the tranny and filled it with the Heavy Shockproof. That's some wicked stuff, it looked almost like Pepto Bismol (except it was darker and almost as thick too). The stream of oil going into the funnel was so thick it sort of piled up in the pool of oil and looked like an upside-down tornado ... never seen that before. I can't wait to try everything out if the weather gives me a chance.

Hey, I forgot to ask ... [highlight]Did your tensioner take away that clunk when you shift and did you notice anything else afterwards?[/highlight] I read an article the other day in a local mag here and that was one of the benefits they talked of. I got it for that and the main reason is I love the fact it's maintenance free now ... just let the spring do it's job. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Brian
Brian,

You're right, that Redline is some strange looking (and smelling ) stuff.  I've tried many brands over the years, and found the Redline to be the top choice for a Harley trans.

One benefit I've noticed with the tensioner, other than not having to fool around setting the tension manually, is quieter and smoother feeling shifting.  I still get the clunk the first time I shift into low after starting the bike cold, due to the high idle and the clutch dragging until it warms up.  After that, it drops into 1st much easier and quieter than before.  You'll also notice less jerking when idling along in parking lots or coasting down to a stop.  All in all, well worth the time and money.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.