Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: How many wear helmets and proper attire in non helmet states  (Read 42030 times)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Re: How many wear helmets and proper attire in non helmet states
« Reply #210 on: March 03, 2014, 04:11:05 PM »

:-\
It would seem from the following list,  a lot of us don't really  "get to choose".  :nixweiss:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2011/06/state-by-state-guide-to-motorcycle-helmet-laws/index.htm

True, however, most are partial law. I know Michigan changed to 21 and under as long as you are insured. I can ride from my home state up into South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Illinois. I specifically avoid Nebraska and Missouri because I don't own a helmet lol.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #211 on: March 03, 2014, 04:15:32 PM »

I'd ride in a dress if it'd stop freaking snowing.

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.
The best you've had is the best you know.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #212 on: March 03, 2014, 04:17:25 PM »

I'd ride in a dress if it'd stop freaking snowing.

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.

Train, I would put 5 helmets on if I could ride right now!  :coolblue:

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #213 on: March 03, 2014, 06:48:37 PM »

:-\
Jswerve .........Hope you are going to continue to "survive" your riding without a helmet.  A little mind-boggling to me that you choose to avoid adjacent states that just might cause you to have to wear one or buy one. :oops:

On two occasions,  I have had a s-l-o-w speed incident (less than one mile and hour) spill.  One time in a crowded gas station with multiple bikes around and I was forced into a slow speed right hand type turn.  I couldn't go for the rear brake and of course grabbing any front brake in a slow speed turn causes fork lock-up.  Results were we went over and my (normally not clumsy wife) turned into a "rag doll" going down and hit helmet first on the pavement.

Another time,  a low (dip) in a garage parking lot caused me to (at almost zero speed) to put a foot down and "hello",  the pavement was below what my foot could reach.........down we went.  Again,  my "rag doll" wife hit head first.   (Actually,  she is well coordinated,  but these two incidents would lead you to believe otherwise).

Bottom line,  was she ended up (shaken up) but OK.   Given how she hit the ground...........again at less than one mile per hour,   the lack of a helmet could have been a very serious injury of head injury to her............that could have been very serious. :nixweiss:

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #214 on: March 03, 2014, 07:01:36 PM »

Sat at a light in Sturgis a few years ago. Guy on a Glodwing pulls out to cross the road (he had the green light) some idiot in a pick up truck went throug red and hit him from the side. This was very slow and the Goldwing rider fell over to his left, very slow fall as well. (No helmet). I expected him to come back up pissed but he didn't. Instead there was a small puddle of blood under his head and he was dead.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re:
« Reply #215 on: March 03, 2014, 08:12:47 PM »

Unfortunately it happens, just like people die with helmets, in car wrecks, airplanes, boats, bathtubs, fires, lakes, the list goes on and on.

If you want to where a helmet I'm all for it. Rubber side down.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #216 on: March 10, 2014, 11:02:34 PM »

Agree with the above.
I wear a modular and keep it open at slower speeds. I have times where I'd prefer a half helmet, but the modular is a good compromise.
I highly recommend Shoei.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #217 on: March 11, 2014, 12:22:54 PM »

I choose the wear a helmet, the key work here is "choose"  If we keep giving up our "right" to choose we loose our freedom little by little.  I seem to feel that I am capable of making my own decisions re. what is good for me and not good for me.  I don't need a group of politicians to make those decisions.  Not sure why some people of groups want to push their agenda on me just because I think differently from them.  Live and let live. 
Do it now!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #218 on: March 11, 2014, 12:30:28 PM »

Everybody do as they please with helmets.  Including choosing not to ride because of mandated helmets in your locale (know two who use this excuse).  No skin off my head (nor anywhere else) because of someone else's choices.  On (finally) warm spring days like this morning on the ride to breakfast, however, my ass in the saddle had no idea my head had a helmet on.

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #219 on: March 11, 2014, 12:35:12 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:
Everybody do as they please with helmets.  Including choosing not to ride because of mandated helmets in your locale (know two who use this excuse).  No skin off my head (nor anywhere else) because of someone else's choices.  On (finally) warm spring days like this morning on the ride to breakfast, however, my ass in the saddle had no idea my head had a helmet on.
Do it now!

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #220 on: March 11, 2014, 04:48:36 PM »

Soon enough we will have to purchase helmets for those trips where helmet laws are unavoidable. Where are some good places to try on helmets besides the Harley dealer? Really hard to find one that I like.

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #221 on: March 11, 2014, 05:07:15 PM »

Any MC shop with clothing should have a decent selection. Rally's and MC shows are good places, but not all brands show up.

My decision to wear Shoei modulars was based on comfort and quality. But you have to try for yourself. Lots of great helmets out there. Happy hunting!  :2vrolijk_21:
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #222 on: March 11, 2014, 06:08:11 PM »

Any MC shop with clothing should have a decent selection. Rally's and MC shows are good places, but not all brands show up.

My decision to wear Shoei modulars was based on comfort and quality. But you have to try for yourself. Lots of great helmets out there. Happy hunting!  :2vrolijk_21:

Shoei keeps coming up I will check in to that.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #223 on: March 11, 2014, 09:46:35 PM »

[/quote

Make sure you check out Arai b4 you buy Swerve. While I only wear it for law-TG for SC- mine is very comfortable.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #224 on: March 11, 2014, 09:59:49 PM »

[/quote

Make sure you check out Arai b4 you buy Swerve. While I only wear it for law-TG for SC- mine is very comfortable.

Thanks brother

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 24 queries.