Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: How many wear helmets and proper attire in non helmet states  (Read 42068 times)

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Re: How many wear helmets and proper attire in non helmet states
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2012, 08:33:28 PM »

Thats fine if you use gear or not.. you lie on the application... fine.. I can see you penalized for it.. but for many, gear is a part-time choice. How do you judge them?

Nope.  To each his own.  ;-)

For the first 20 years, I never owned a helmet.  I didn't give it a thought.  More than 100,000 miles of riding in that time and no incidents.  I did do a header over my handlebars onetime when a car cut me off at an intersection.  I was only going about 20 mph and the little Kawasaki KZ400 started to do the front end flop.  I went right over the handlebars and landed on my back.  Somehow I managed to avoid hitting my head, but it was a very close call with granite curbs and a power pole.  After that, I started to wonder if my luck was running out.  No since in pushing it, if not necessary. 

But that's my call.  I don't believe in judging others who choose to live differently.  It is best to respect and appreciate those differences.  More good times that way.
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

do-dahman

• do-dahman
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Under George's nose
    • TX

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE, Ivory and Gold delivered 12/17/11
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE
« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2012, 08:43:28 PM »

I take off the helmet riding the roads around Sturgis. We ride slow and in a group is my excuse. On a daily basis the rest of the year I wear one of three helmets depending on the weather. Shoei Multi-tec in the winter, 3/4 Arai in Spring/Fall, 1/2 helmet in the summer. I am proud to live in a country that allows us to have choices. It's our head and if we choose to crack it open riding, it should be our choice. I also understand that there may be a difference in insurance rates as it should be. Another reason is my wife will kill me if I'm in an accident and not dead without wearing one!

'84 FLT Tour Glide
5-speed
Blueprint stock engine
 '11 FLTRUSE
FuelMoto Header
Fullsac 2" Cores
Direct Link Tuned
Clearview shield 14.5" with vent
DayMaker Headlights
Sold 10/18
2017 FLHXSE
V&H Slipons

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2012, 09:02:31 PM »

Nope.  To each his own.  ;-)

For the first 20 years, I never owned a helmet.  I didn't give it a thought.  More than 100,000 miles of riding in that time and no incidents.  I did do a header over my handlebars onetime when a car cut me off at an intersection.  I was only going about 20 mph and the little Kawasaki KZ400 started to do the front end flop.  I went right over the handlebars and landed on my back.  Somehow I managed to avoid hitting my head, but it was a very close call with granite curbs and a power pole.  After that, I started to wonder if my luck was running out.  No since in pushing it, if not necessary. 

But that's my call.  I don't believe in judging others who choose to live differently.  It is best to respect and appreciate those differences.  More good times that way.

Having spent a couple seasons roadracing a GSXR750, taught me a LOT about riding fast, and being able to look far enough ahead to keep you out of trouble... not that it always did... However, the two track instances I had were enough to make me realize just how fragile the human body is... a full one-piece leather suit with all the body armor and back brace helped minimize tissue damage... but it sure doent mean I want to wear one on a daily commute, seeing as it takes 2 or 3 guys to help peel it off you after sweating in it for a couple of hours on the track.

I rode the same bike as my commuter, but in one of the more severe crashes, the bike was unridable while we waited for replacement parts... when my friend had a 79 shovelhead and told me to ride it... he was unable to due to health reasons... drag pipes, drag bars, invader mags, open primary with no belt guard (that thing loved to eat dress slacks BTW) and kick start only... :) It was loud, brash, and annoying as hell, but it ran... and was fun to ride... and the chicks LOVED it!

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2012, 10:26:26 AM »

Different rates for health insurance only works if you're dead or alive.  If you lie on the policy and are involved in a crash where it is determined that head injuries were the cause of death, and you die on the scene, it's a mute point.  On the other hand, you lie on the policy, are involved in a crash, are taken to the hospital with head trauma...guess what?  The insurance may not pay, but the hospital is not going to leave you out on the curb...they are going to do what it takes to keep you alive, regardless of costs.  And those costs get passed on to the consumer, like all other business losses that can't be written off dollar for dollar on tax returns.  The losses to the hospital from motorcycle accident victims are small in comparison to losses incurred from people generally not having adequate health care insuance, but it adds to the losses, nonetheless.

In fact, the relatively small number of people who ride motorcycles, compared to those who drive cars, is likely the very reason mandatory helmet law is not Federal, and State, across the board.  Statisically, it's relatively insignificant whether a person chooses to wear/not wear a helmet.  On the other hand, seatbelts also save lives, and enough of them that it is now a law to always wear them.  People bitched and moaned about that too, and some still do.  But they'll give you a ticket for not wearing it.  It's more about numbers than percentages.

People need to realize that riding/driving on public roads is a priviledge, not a right.

One thing is certain...this issue is not going to be resolved here.  One of these days, helmets will be mandatory, like it or not, and then the choice will be ride/don't ride.  I'm pretty sure that most who enjoy riding will continue to ride...with a helmet on.  The same way people didn't quit driving cars when seatbelts became mandatory.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2012, 11:29:11 AM »

DOT Helmet: Always
16" leather lace up boots: Always
Wiley X Glasses: Always
Leather chaps, heavy leather jacket and leather gloves: Only when cold outside
Jeans and t-shirts: Summer only (We have many 90+ days here in St. Louis in the summer.)

By the way, I took what appeared to be a tractor trailer lug nut off the center of my left lense on my Wiley X glasses at 70 mph a couple of years ago. Almost knock me off the bike and the glasses almost came off to. I had a sunglass shaped red mark for about a day but it did not even scratch the lense. Needless to say I'm a big fan of eye protection.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2012, 11:46:17 AM »

Eye protection is mandatory here in floridar...helmets not so much.....saw 2 beemers 2 up on I95 yesterday, no lids, shorts n flip flops..No explainin some folks ya know....

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2012, 09:18:49 PM »

I can careless who and who does not wear a helmet.  I always were one when riding.

What I would like to see is insurance companies giving different rates for those who agree to wear a helmet and those who don't.  That way those who choose not to wear a helmet don't affect my insurance rate.

The size of house...the kind & number of cars...the number of college age kids...etc, that your agent has affects your rate more than me not wearing a helmet does!! :nixweiss:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

IRISHSE

• IRISH
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTFSE2(SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2012, 02:15:57 AM »

Buried a close friend a couple weeks ago from a bike crash.  He was riding a crotch rocket city hadn't put steel plate over a manhole that was under construction and he found the hole at 60mph.  Severe head trauma to the back of his head.  Was wearing tshirt and jeans with tennis shoes.  Would've walked away with road rash had he been wearing a helmet.  I will never get on a bike without one.  Michigan just repealed the helmet law so now it is a choice, but my choice is to wear one.  Always have and always will.  I prefer to enjoy another day of riding than my last ride to be in a hearse.

Full leathers and boots as well...Ventilated mesh with armor on hot summer days.  Like others have said it's a choice.  I still choose not to wear a seatbelt, but one day I'm sure that will be a choice I wish I would've chosen differently when I eat the windshield or am ejected from the car.  Safe riding all.  

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2012, 03:03:41 PM »

Buried a close friend a couple weeks ago from a bike crash. He was riding a crotch rocket city hadn't put steel plate over a manhole that was under construction and he found the hole at 60mph.  Severe head trauma to the back of his head.  Was wearing tshirt and jeans with tennis shoes.  Would've walked away with road rash had he been wearing a helmet.  I will never get on a bike without one.  Michigan just repealed the helmet law so now it is a choice, but my choice is to wear one.  Always have and always will.  I prefer to enjoy another day of riding than my last ride to be in a hearse.

Full leathers and boots as well...Ventilated mesh with armor on hot summer days.  Like others have said it's a choice.  I still choose not to wear a seatbelt, but one day I'm sure that will be a choice I wish I would've chosen differently when I eat the windshield or am ejected from the car.  Safe riding all.  

Sorry for the loss of your friend Irish.  RIP brother.  I hope if he had a wife and children they're taken care of by the city that neglected to provide proper barricades around the open hole.  I've spent the last 35 years as a Communications Engineer.  We do lots of underground work.  Safety in these environments are a matter of life or death.  This is proof.  This one angers me, because it was preventable.
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

PJinHouston

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2012, 11:06:20 PM »

I've seen too many people die right in front of my very eyes that would be here today if they had only had on a helmet. i wear mine religiously.
*2007 FXSTSSE CVO Softail Springer
2017 FLTRXS Road Glide Special (sold to family member)
2015 FXSB Breakout (sold)
2015 FLHT Limited (sold)
2012 FXDF Fat Bob (sold)
2012 FXTRXSE CVO Road Glide Custom (sold)
2003 FLHRI 100th Anniversary Road King (sold)
1993 FXSTC Softail Custom (sold)

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2012, 12:30:23 PM »

Always do ,despite the crap I get from buds.   I'm against helmet laws , but I choose to wear protective gear , I know what it feels like to go down hard.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

PJinHouston

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2012, 12:50:12 PM »

and it has nothing to do with speed. My friend died turning right at 15 miles per hour when his tire hit a RR groove and he went down and slid to the curb where he hit his head ... Instant vegetable and he never woke up
*2007 FXSTSSE CVO Softail Springer
2017 FLTRXS Road Glide Special (sold to family member)
2015 FXSB Breakout (sold)
2015 FLHT Limited (sold)
2012 FXDF Fat Bob (sold)
2012 FXTRXSE CVO Road Glide Custom (sold)
2003 FLHRI 100th Anniversary Road King (sold)
1993 FXSTC Softail Custom (sold)

SE-5

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2012, 08:47:25 PM »

Always wear a helmet, gloves, jeans, 14" linemens (Danner) boots, long sleeve shirt, even in states where (helmets) are not required, my choice. If I lived or rode in Arizona or where its super hot, that would be another story I'm sure.  I see (mostly) young folks in shorts, flops, tank tops etc... their choice ~ a poor one in my opinion but to each his/her own.

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member
  • Live Life at Full Throttle !

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: FXDWG2
« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2012, 09:26:13 PM »

Always do ,despite the crap I get from buds.   I'm against helmet laws , but I choose to wear protective gear , I know what it feels like to go down hard.

Well said. Here in Michigan we have had to wear Helmets until last month, I like the fact that it is now 'MY CHOICE'
I think I would feel naked without it now. Plus the fact that it will co$t me an additional $200 a year for the added insurance.

WD :2vrolijk_21:

'Keep your Knees in the Breeze'
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2012 FLSTSE3 - Satin Pewter - 'Brush Gold'
2015 BMW F700GS
2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse  TS 111

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2012, 09:19:59 AM »

I finally got out for a ride last Sunday, 1st real ride of the year for me because of chit getting in the way.  Logged about 150 miles and it was interesting.  Me and my bud both wore our helmets and probably 4 out of 5 bikes that I saw on the road were wearing helmets too!  BIG PICTURE, small example.  GIVE PEOPLE THE CHOICE, LESS GOVERNMENT REGULATION, and generally they will make the best choice on what's right for them as an individual......or business!  After all the BS about repealing the helmet law in Michigan for years, at the end of the day it was all about having the choice versus government mandating what people need!   Hmmmm, sounds familiar, something we hear every fricking day for the last 3.6 years!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 09:22:09 AM by Rio »
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 25 queries.