Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: How many wear helmets and proper attire in non helmet states  (Read 42062 times)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: How many wear helmets and proper attire in non helmet states
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2012, 04:56:54 PM »

Maybe I'm getting older, a little wiser, and the body does take longer to heal... so wearing gear is a good idea.... do I always follow my own advice?... no

I have been solicited by the local MSF instructor who is looking for skilled riders to help teach the classes.. my balk is having to practice what I preach... all the time. Maybe its time to pass the torch.
Uh Oh.  :oops: There go the 'flip-flops'.  har.  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2012, 07:23:51 PM »

Uh Oh.  :oops: There go the 'flip-flops'.  har.  :drink: spyder

Exactly!  :huepfenlol2:

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2012, 09:28:07 PM »

Okay, while I didn't read all 5 pages...  Can anyone confirm, as I simply haven't followed up because what I'm fixin' to type only makes perfect sense to me.

Being a Veteran, and having served in a few States that did not require helmets, I've often been told that because it is a DOD requirement that all Active Duty must wear helmets, regardless of State laws, IF you were to get killed while operating a motorcycle while without a helmet, the Life Insurance Policy under the Gov't System will not pay out to the benefactors, because you simply did not have on a helmet.

Has anyone else heard of this, because I've also been told (and again, cause it makes sense) that if after you got out or retired and transferred your Life Insurance to the Civilian equivalent, the same applies... No Helmet, No Payments to Benefactors.

I've been down... as maybe some on this forum... my gear saved my life and limbs and I wouldn't be here today if not for my helmet.
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

aushog

• 2008 Frosty
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2012, 09:42:24 PM »

I always wear a full face helmet, boots, and jeans.  I wear as much leather as I can stand depending on the heat. Over about 90 degrees I switch to an armored mesh jacket.

jcraig147

• Full CVO Member
  • Batmobike 757 of 999

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-BLK
    • CVO2: 2004 Fatboy
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2012, 10:07:50 PM »

Okay, while I didn't read all 5 pages...  Can anyone confirm, as I simply haven't followed up because what I'm fixin' to type only makes perfect sense to me.

Being a Veteran, and having served in a few States that did not require helmets, I've often been told that because it is a DOD requirement that all Active Duty must wear helmets, regardless of State laws, IF you were to get killed while operating a motorcycle while without a helmet, the Life Insurance Policy under the Gov't System will not pay out to the benefactors, because you simply did not have on a helmet.

Has anyone else heard of this, because I've also been told (and again, cause it makes sense) that if after you got out or retired and transferred your Life Insurance to the Civilian equivalent, the same applies... No Helmet, No Payments to Benefactors.

I've been down... as maybe some on this forum... my gear saved my life and limbs and I wouldn't be here today if not for my helmet.

I am unaware of any stipulations on Civilian Life Insurance Policies ( I used to sell life insurance)

Joe

Fullsac Stage 1, 2 in Cores, TTS Tuner

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2012, 10:33:23 PM »

jimbob, if we ever meet at a gathering I would love to shake your hand! But if we ever go on a group ride...I might have to sit that one out! :o :D ;D :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

LOL. Some say a cat has nine lives; so I figure I'm on my second cat now. My favorite was 440 volts using my body as a ground. I have a lot of good stories to tell, but some will have to come out after I'm actually gone. One thing I can tell you is that there isn't any virgins on the other side. Man are those suicide bombers gonna be surprised, LOL..

jb

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2012, 10:35:30 PM »

I am unaware of any stipulations on Civilian Life Insurance Policies ( I used to sell life insurance)

Joe

Two of my favorite hell-mitts sacrificed themselves to keep me alive.

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2012, 06:13:34 PM »

I always wear a helmet and boots, usually a jacket with armor and chaps. One of my riding buddies will go out with a t-shirt and shorts, tennis shoes and a skull cap. He chides me for the time it takes to take all my gear off when we go somewhere, he just unsnaps his beenie and is done. What gets me is he has had a few trips to the ER from some bad judgement days when he decided to drink and drive way beyond his capability to do so. Last one nearly killed him and he has some lingering brain injuries that will be with him the rest of his life. My noggin has a lot of important stuff in it that I would have a hard time functioning without. I don't know anybody that would leave all their valuables exposed for the taking by who ever comes along, they wouldn't call them valuables if that were the case. Why leave our bodies, especially our heads, exposed to whatever comes along when it is so easy to put a helmet and other protective gear on?

kravnut

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2012, 05:36:17 PM »

Started off riding without a helmet on short trips around town and would wear a helmet on long rides.  That all changed after a friend of mine almost lost his life do to a freak accident where his jacket; that was rolled up and strapped to the back of his chopper; came loose and got stuck in his wheel and catapulted him off the bike at 80 mph sans helmet.  He is very lucky to be alive but he will never walk again let alone ride a bike and he has lost a lot of his capability to speak.

Ever since that day my wife and I ride with helmets (even thought they are only 1/2 helmets) no matter how long of a bike ride we are taking. 

I have always ridden in boots, jeans & t-shirts (w/wo sleeves) in hot weather.  Cool weather I add a light jacket and cold weather the chaps, heated gear and leather jacket get put on.
Keith

2012 Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide
4" Rinehart Slip-ons
Kuryakyn Quick Adjust Tour-Pak Relocator

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2012, 09:24:28 PM »

Okay, while I didn't read all 5 pages...  Can anyone confirm, as I simply haven't followed up because what I'm fixin' to type only makes perfect sense to me.

It doesn't have anything to do with the life insurance itself.  The military requires, by regulation, that you must ride with all the appropriate safety gear, including a DoT approved helmet, both on and off base.  If you were to have an accident and were killed, the military, through a line of duty investigation, could, and probably would, determine that it was a non-line of duty accident and therefore insurance would not be paid.  When I was in the Navy, I was told all this when I had my accident on my bike.  I was stationed in Washington State, which was a helmet optional state, and I was wearing, per regulation all my safety gear, and it was found to be a line of duty accident, and the military covered all my hospital and other medical expenses.  Had I not have been wearing a helmet, they could have found it non line of duty, and I would have been responsible for about $30K in medical expenses, plus, I could have been charge with destruction of Government property, namely me!!!
Once you are out of the military, you are no longer subject to military regulations, so therefore, line of duty investigations would not pertain.
:devil:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 09:31:22 PM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2012, 06:47:43 PM »

Thanks Red Devil... the whole line-of-duty determination process was something I had forgotten all about.  Makes total sense now that your mention it.  Ted  8)
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

Screamin Eagle Carl

• Livin' Large with Loud Pipes
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2012, 05:31:52 PM »

Florida State Law requires a helmet unless you are over 21 and have proof of medical insurance for 10Gs. I meet both requirements. I wear a 1/2 helmet but have ridden without a helmet up the A1A a few times. It is the exception not the rule. Most trips up Ocean and everywhere else are wearing a helmet, gloves, goggles, and leather vest. I have a leather jacket with armor and have a pair of Draggin' jeans (the size I ordered is a bit too large so I need to shrink them in the dryer a few times).

I also wear boots but frequently ride at lunch and have my work duds on including dress shoes. I do wear the helmet, vest, goggles, and gloves.  Most folks in SoFlo go without helmet. I see a lot on I-95 like that. Funny thing, they are mostly riding cruisers. The crotch rocket riders all seem to wear helmets. Can't completely confirm as they are usually going about 90 mph or more.

Ride like everyone's out to kill you and get someone to give you a road gremlin bell for the bike. Loud pipes also help.

Ride Safe!
2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
Livin' Large

Arwyn

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2012, 06:22:50 PM »

I always wear the lid as well. Dont have to, but riding a bar-hopper and not having a windshield encourages have something to protect your face from dirt, debris, spit, coffee, lit cigarette butts, and all of the other wonderful things you encounter on the highways in DFW.....  ;)

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2012, 07:47:20 PM »

It doesn't have anything to do with the life insurance itself.  The military requires, by regulation, that you must ride with all the appropriate safety gear, including a DoT approved helmet, both on and off base.  If you were to have an accident and were killed, the military, through a line of duty investigation, could, and probably would, determine that it was a non-line of duty accident and therefore insurance would not be paid.  When I was in the Navy, I was told all this when I had my accident on my bike.  I was stationed in Washington State, which was a helmet optional state, and I was wearing, per regulation all my safety gear, and it was found to be a line of duty accident, and the military covered all my hospital and other medical expenses.  Had I not have been wearing a helmet, they could have found it non line of duty, and I would have been responsible for about $30K in medical expenses, plus, I could have been charge with destruction of Government property, namely me!!!
Once you are out of the military, you are no longer subject to military regulations, so therefore, line of duty investigations would not pertain.

I wonder if that is a more recent development?  When I was stationed in Hawaii between '73 and '77, I had a '69 BSA 650cc Thunderbolt chopper.  I rode that thing to work at Scholfield Barracks all the time and never had a helmet.  The subject just never came up, on or off post.  At 25ish years of age, I didn't give it a thought.  Rode in shorts and sandals a lot.  Didn't even have any MC gear back then, even riding dirt bikes.  Not even a vest or boots. 

Now, when it came to tattoos, that was another subject alltogether.  We were prohibited, but if we didn't show them, it was don't ask, don't tell...pretty sure.  Article 15 if caught with a new one.  :nixweiss:
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2012, 09:14:36 PM »

I wonder if that is a more recent development?  When I was stationed in Hawaii between '73 and '77, I had a '69 BSA 650cc Thunderbolt chopper.  I rode that thing to work at Scholfield Barracks all the time and never had a helmet.  The subject just never came up, on or off post.  At 25ish years of age, I didn't give it a thought.  Rode in shorts and sandals a lot.  Didn't even have any MC gear back then, even riding dirt bikes.  Not even a vest or boots. 

Now, when it came to tattoos, that was another subject alltogether.  We were prohibited, but if we didn't show them, it was don't ask, don't tell...pretty sure.  Article 15 if caught with a new one.  :nixweiss:

I know it was already required in the 80's when I had my accident (1981).  At least the Navy was mandating it.  :nixweiss:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 25 queries.