Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: How many wear helmets and proper attire in non helmet states  (Read 42067 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: How many wear helmets and proper attire in non helmet states
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2012, 02:40:58 PM »

I came from a non-helmet law state (Illinois)  :2vrolijk_21:, and live in a helmet law state (Michigan)  :confused5: After 7 years, I guess I am used to it for the most part, but I still take it off on the back roads on hot days and put it in my lap to cool down.  I guess I've gotten used to it being a false sense of security and I would wear it on the highways around other vehicles, but on the back roads where there is less traffic, it comes off immediately!

I hear that same sentiment from a lot of folks, and I always question why they think a crash on a back road is safer than a crash on a main highway.  You can smack your head severely enough to cause trauma just falling off the bike while it's sitting still, you don't have to have someone in a cage run you down to get hurt or killed.  Try having a dog chase you on that back road and get tangled up in your wheels, or a deer jump out in front of you.  And a lot of farmers still drive like they did back in my youth, where they paid no attention to stop signs or looking both ways before flying out of a driveway. 

I do most of my riding these days out in the country, and I find I still have to be constantly vigilant.  My full face helmet stays on wherever I'm riding, city or country.  I've had some deep gouges in the helmets and/or shields over the years just from road debris alone; gouges that would have been in my head or face if I chose to ride without a helmet. 

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2012, 04:42:49 PM »

I hear that same sentiment from a lot of folks, and I always question why they think a crash on a back road is safer than a crash on a main highway.  You can smack your head severely enough to cause trauma just falling off the bike while it's sitting still, you don't have to have someone in a cage run you down to get hurt or killed.  Try having a dog chase you on that back road and get tangled up in your wheels, or a deer jump out in front of you.  And a lot of farmers still drive like they did back in my youth, where they paid no attention to stop signs or looking both ways before flying out of a driveway. 

I do most of my riding these days out in the country, and I find I still have to be constantly vigilant.  My full face helmet stays on wherever I'm riding, city or country.  I've had some deep gouges in the helmets and/or shields over the years just from road debris alone; gouges that would have been in my head or face if I chose to ride without a helmet. 

Jerry

I cant say I've had the chance to enjoy a long ride like you folks do, But personally I advocate the choice to decide. I often wear a modular for commutes involving traffic, inclement weather and unfamiliar territory.

We have always been taught to dress not for the ride, but for the crash. Personally, If all the gear was a requirement, I'd likely just buy another 'Vette.... at that point, IMWO it takes the pleasure out of riding here.

The media sesationallizes the fact that a rider wasnt wearing a helmet here, even though there is no legal requirement. In a recent fatal accident the rider was zipping in and out of traffic when he swerved in front of a Lincoln Navigator... needless to say, a helmet would not have saved him, yet all the media reports is that he wasnt wearing a helmet.  The cause is not the lack of helmets, its simple behavior. Unfortunately, people ride motorcycles because they like to rebel a bit. We know the stats for alcohol related accidents and motorcycles are staggering... Helmet or not, its the bahavior that is the cause of death not the equipment.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2012, 08:48:03 PM »

Never ride with a helmet if not required. Never ride without good boots and heavy jeans. Just the way I have for over 50 yrs. Got one of the 1st tickets in 1969 when SC passed a helmet law, got another in 2010 when MB,SC passed a helmet law. The more things change the more they stay the same.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

DBHWT

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2012, 08:52:59 PM »

Totaled a Road King out a few years a go and walked away from it ...l aways wear a helmet now...got a 2nd chance

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2012, 11:33:24 AM »

The media sesationallizes the fact that a rider wasnt wearing a helmet here, even though there is no legal requirement. In a recent fatal accident the rider was zipping in and out of traffic when he swerved in front of a Lincoln Navigator... needless to say, a helmet would not have saved him, yet all the media reports is that he wasnt wearing a helmet.  The cause is not the lack of helmets, its simple behavior. Unfortunately, people ride motorcycles because they like to rebel a bit. We know the stats for alcohol related accidents and motorcycles are staggering... Helmet or not, its the bahavior that is the cause of death not the equipment.

How was it known what caused this rider's death?  I can "behave" in every way possible, but that doesn't stop somebody else from: running into the back of me while stopped; running a stop sign/red light; driving on the wrong side of the road; cutting me off; attempting to be in my space at the same time, etc.

None of those things have anything to do with my behavior, even if I am the most careful, well trained rider in the world, and it is a fact that I have a much better chance of surviving someone else's behavior if I'm wearing a helmet.  Period.  I have control over my own behavior, but NO control over the behavior of others.  I wonder if all those riders who died due to massive head trauma could talk, if they'd still advocate not wearing a helmet?  Or, if you asked their family members if they wish he/she had been wearing a helmet, what they would say.  I would bet that the 10 year old child who doesn't have their parent any longer would wish that their Dad or Mom had worn a helmet.  It's not just about you, it's about the impact it has on others who love you as well.  Even if I don't give two hoots in hell about my own life, I have to think about how my wife would feel if I weren't around because I refused to give up my "freedom" and wear head protection.  Riding in a topless cage is in no way a comparison to riding on two wheels...the only common thing between the two, if you choose not to wear a helmet on the motorcycle, is a bare head.

This horse has also been beaten until it's dust...there is no logical/rational reason for not wearing a helmet...all other reasons are emotional in nature.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2012, 12:37:06 PM »

And thats why they say "Let those that ride decide" What you think is best for you is NMB. If you want to wear a helmet.....do so. When you pass me without a helmet, its not because I have a deathwish.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2012, 07:40:58 PM »

How was it known what caused this rider's death?  I can "behave" in every way possible, but that doesn't stop somebody else from: running into the back of me while stopped; running a stop sign/red light; driving on the wrong side of the road; cutting me off; attempting to be in my space at the same time, etc.

None of those things have anything to do with my behavior, even if I am the most careful, well trained rider in the world, and it is a fact that I have a much better chance of surviving someone else's behavior if I'm wearing a helmet.  Period.  I have control over my own behavior, but NO control over the behavior of others.  I wonder if all those riders who died due to massive head trauma could talk, if they'd still advocate not wearing a helmet?  Or, if you asked their family members if they wish he/she had been wearing a helmet, what they would say.  I would bet that the 10 year old child who doesn't have their parent any longer would wish that their Dad or Mom had worn a helmet.  It's not just about you, it's about the impact it has on others who love you as well.  Even if I don't give two hoots in hell about my own life, I have to think about how my wife would feel if I weren't around because I refused to give up my "freedom" and wear head protection.  Riding in a topless cage is in no way a comparison to riding on two wheels...the only common thing between the two, if you choose not to wear a helmet on the motorcycle, is a bare head.

This horse has also been beaten until it's dust...there is no logical/rational reason for not wearing a helmet...all other reasons are emotional in nature.

The rider swerved too close to the Navigator, got hit, subsequently run over and dragged... No helmet is going to save you in that case.

There is risk everytime we get on our bikes. We know it, we understand it... and while I will agree that we cant control the actions of others, we can teach ourselves to observe our surroundings to see the potential for someone else's stupidity. What we cant change is the probability of chance... So, you can dress to enjoy the ride, or you can dress in probability of the crash.

Personally, I bought a bike so I can enjoy the freedom riding brings me... If I feel the need to wear full gear if I am travelling in unfamiliar territory, lots of trafic or inclement weather I do so... by CHOICE. I dont believe in overregulation of citizens by gov't.

I lost a good friend last year to a tourist excecuting a U-turn from the far right lane. Turned direcly into the path of my friends who were riding as a group. He left his wife and young family behind. Would he change anything? No... he had massive internal injuries as well as head injuries. In many cases the internal injuries are the cause of death.  

IMHO, a helmet reduces the probability of injury due to impact, it doesnt save the rest of the body from injury. Now, if you want an open casket funeral... thats fine. I've opted for cremation and scattering of ashes... I'm the youngest of 5, with no children, no parents, a few cousins, two aunts and an uncle...life insurance will leave the wife a nice nest egg abd assure she is set for the rest of her life...

Enjoy the ride, however you choose to.. isnt that what its about?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 01:38:13 PM by 2012_FLTRXSE »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2012, 07:51:14 PM »

No one in their right mind would ride a MC in todays traffic of distracted or impaired drivers with or without a helmet.  But, yet, we still get up (if we can) after being run into and ride on again because that's what we do.......spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2012, 07:55:56 PM »

No one in their right mind would ride a MC in todays traffic of distracted or impaired drivers with or without a helmet.  But, yet, we still get up (if we can) after being run into and ride on again because that's what we do.......spyder

I'll simplify this statement:

No one in their right mind would ride a MC in todays traffic, yet, we still get up (if we can) after being run into and ride on again because that's what we do

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2012, 01:11:47 PM »

I can careless who and who does not wear a helmet.  I always were one when riding.

What I would like to see is insurance companies giving different rates for those who agree to wear a helmet and those who don't.  That way those who choose not to wear a helmet don't affect my insurance rate.
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2012, 01:30:52 PM »

We choose to ride, knowing the risk is much greater than being in an automobile.  The second choice made is whether to minimize the risk of being permanently or fatally injured and never having the choice to ride/not ride again.  That's it in a nutshell.

It's kind of hard to know if a dead person would make different choices with regards to gear if he/she had it to do over again.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #101 on: March 05, 2012, 01:39:17 PM »

I can careless who and who does not wear a helmet.  I always were one when riding.

What I would like to see is insurance companies giving different rates for those who agree to wear a helmet and those who don't.  That way those who choose not to wear a helmet don't affect my insurance rate.

^^^ interesting thought... but how will the insurance company determine that?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #102 on: March 05, 2012, 02:21:37 PM »

^^^ interesting thought... but how will the insurance company determine that?
They give different rates for smoking and non-smoking.....same way to determine each......fill in the blank.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2012, 03:07:17 PM »

They give different rates for smoking and non-smoking.....same way to determine each......fill in the blank.  spyder

Right, aaaaaand if you're in an accident with head injuries due to not wearing a helmet; it will be recorded and dealt with on an individual basis.  As it should be. 

Bottom line, wear safety gear and having a good riding/driving record should count for something. While it might not prevent broken bones from impact, it definitely reduces the severity of injuries, road rash, etc... :2vrolijk_21:

Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2012, 06:05:40 PM »

Right, aaaaaand if you're in an accident with head injuries due to not wearing a helmet; it will be recorded and dealt with on an individual basis.  As it should be. 

Bottom line, wear safety gear and having a good riding/driving record should count for something. While it might not prevent broken bones from impact, it definitely reduces the severity of injuries, road rash, etc... :2vrolijk_21:

Thats fine if you use gear or not.. you lie on the application... fine.. I can see you penalized for it.. but for many, gear is a part-time choice. How do you judge them?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 25 queries.