Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Tire replacement  (Read 5991 times)

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
Tire replacement
« on: October 22, 2010, 10:45:04 AM »

What kind of tires are guys using when the stock ones wear out. Any pictures?
 Gary

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: SE Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz
Re: Tire replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 02:27:12 PM »

putting the stock tire back on. I'm getting about 8,000 miles on the back and about 11,000 on the front. Replaced the rear twice already at 16,000 miles.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 02:39:37 PM »

Prolly as many answers to this thread as they are members. My opinion is that it's a very personal choice based on riding style, where you live, etc etc. My preference is for low mileage sticky tires. Some folks like high mileage hard compound tires. I would imagine the stock tires represent the factory's best effort to provide a middle of the road approach.

knobbs

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 02:42:15 PM »

Replaced both wiht stock, at 8,000 not happy with the milage, was in a bind. Will be shopping around next time.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 04:49:25 PM »

knobbs
        driving around in the family minivan I expect mileage to be the most prominent issue in appraising a tire. You're on four wheels, you don't stress any of them and generally speaking the weight of the vehicle is always directly on the center of the tire. Riding a motorcycle you've got so many other factors to consider that buying tires based solely on how many miles you can get out of them is (not to be impolite but ) not the smartest thing you could do.

B B
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 04:18:00 PM by Spiderman »

AussieEagle

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 11:43:45 PM »

stock bridgestone tires are the WORST wet weather tires I have every used.

I have dropped a few burnouts just to kill them off early!! Shockingly bad.

Anyway, will replace with a softer NON all terrain looking tire, avon or michelin and apparantly you can go 200mm on the back tire with same stock rim / no mods etc.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 05:37:42 AM »

knobbs
        driving around in the family minivan I expect mileage to be the most prominent issue in appraising a tire. You're on four wheels, you don't stress any of them and generally speaking the weight of the vehicle is always directly on the center of the tire. Riding a motorcycle you've got so many other factors to consider that buying tires based solely on how many miles you can get out of them is (not to be impolite but ) not the smartest thing you could do.

Henry

:2vrolijk_21:

it's about the best grip and highest safety, not durability.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 01:53:12 PM »

I put Avon Venoms on my sporty and noticed a vast improvement wet weather riding, less following of road lines, and better all round handling, 9000km on them and lots of tread left....but that's on a sporty. I too would like a better tire(esp rain performance since I live in a rain forest) without giving up too much else. I have the tire/rim warranty and it only covers the stock Dunslops....maybe I'll get them to just give me the tire and I'll sell it and put the $ towards tires of my choice.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 03:25:59 PM »

I am sure I will not the best of milage off the stock tires. I bet the next ones will not be much better. This bike spins the rear when going to second and skids to a stop all to often. Maybe it's my driving. :-\LOL

I like the look of the tread design on the stock tires and they grip and corner well if let them.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 04:25:01 PM »

I really like Metzlers, I've been riding the ME88's, ME33 Lazer's and 880's for years great grip. I tried a comparable Dunlop set up once, didn't like the grip of the Dunlop's at all. You just need to keep the Metz's at 42-45 lb, depending on the bike, they'll ware fast if you don't. My V65 had Avon's on it when I got it, they were pretty worn so I can't really comment on them.

Craig

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 11:02:08 AM »

I am at 5000 miles on the stock tires and showing some wear on the rear. I will look at all the tires listed above when I need a new one thanks for the information guys. I am not terribly concerned about mileage and agree that traction and safety are paramount. I try not to ride in the rain at all and if out on longer trips and get in rain I will most likely be on the FLHRC. I hate the rain with no windshield.

My Fatbob is my hot rod bike so I nearly expect poor longevity.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 11:33:13 AM »

Another thread that's been started so many times there should be a surcharge to start a new one.

We do have a search fucntion that works very well.

B B

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 11:54:27 AM »

Another thread that's been started so many times there should be a surcharge to start a new one.

We do have a search fucntion that works very well.

B B

But yet, you've replied in here on two other occasions. :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:

Prolly as many answers to this thread as they are members. My opinion is that it's a very personal choice based on riding style, where you live, etc etc. My preference is for low mileage sticky tires. Some folks like high mileage hard compound tires. I would imagine the stock tires represent the factory's best effort to provide a middle of the road approach.

knobbs

B B

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 12:25:04 PM »

But yet, you've replied in here on two other occasions. :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:

Brian, you never fail to disappoint me. I was going to post that you'd come up with an example of my having not done a search myself or posting on other threads of this nature. Damn, I wish the lottery was as easy to predict as you are

B B

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 03:26:29 PM »

AVON.

:jalapeno:
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 02:54:33 PM »

The way I understood the thread is that it was specific for the Dyna Fatbob? If there are other threads I will search for them but was grateful that I easily found this new one.

Did my first real smokey burnout the other day I bet I need a new tire soon. :bananarock:

AussieEagle

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 07:54:57 PM »

FYI the metzeler 880 combo looked good and was popular, in the end though I today orderd the Avon Venom & Avon Cobra front / back combo and squeezing 200mm tire on the rear (stock is 180mm). Should all be fitted up by end of this week...

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 04:31:43 PM »

FYI the metzeler 880 combo looked good and was popular, in the end though I today orderd the Avon Venom & Avon Cobra front / back combo and squeezing 200mm tire on the rear (stock is 180mm). Should all be fitted up by end of this week...

Let me know how they do and if you had a picture that would be great. I put a stock tire on this week after getting 7K of hard miles. I like the way the tire looks on the CVO FatBob. You did put these on a FatBob right?
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 24 queries.