Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Found a chip on my fairing....*Update*  (Read 3355 times)

Georgehjr

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE CVO™ Road Glide® Ultra-Rio Red/Black/ Ember-Triked Out
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic #1408/Triked Out
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE TEQUILA SUNRISE/Not A CVO-2002 Heritage Softail---
Re: Found a chip on my fairing....
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 11:37:40 PM »

When I picked up mine the dealer told me that the faring had come it with a chip in it, they had order a new and installed it before I bought the bike, They said there incentive is that they get paid the retail amt of the part that they replace so it was it there best interest to find  problems before I did.
The one with the most Toys , WINS !!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 09:06:22 AM »

I picked up the bike on Friday last week.  I found the chip on Sunday morning.  It had 150 miles on it when I found the chip.  My dealer is a very good friend of mine so I think she'll fight to get it replaced if I want, but I really feel guilty about pressing the issue.  I know I didn't cause the chip, but I don't want to stress her out for taking care of me either.  It really hurt my spirits when I found it, but now I'm feeling less upset about it.  I know chips, scratches and dings are gonna happen when I ride it, but I guess I just want to know they are all my chips, scratches and dings.  You know what I mean?

Thanks for all the input guys.

Normally the dealership will ask you to look the bike over for any damage when you pick it up, and most will ask you to sign off on the inspection sheet.  If you come back later with a scratch or other damage that isn't on that sheet, the assumption will be that the scratch, etc. belongs to you.  However, there comes a point where common sense has to override the CYA stuff, and in your case it's fairly obvious that your outer fairing was damaged while it was not mounted to the inner.  Hard to do that kind of damage without making similar marks on the gasket and the inner, so the dealer shouldn't even think about giving you a hard time on this.  Of course, that doesn't mean that H-D itself won't jerk you around; they've given lots of folks a hard time over any and all "cosmetic" issues.  For instance, you really don't want to know the BS they've been telling folks about chrome parts lately.

IMHO, you need to talk to the dealer and get a commitment to take responsibility for the problem.  You bought the bike from the dealer, not the MoCo, and the dealer is the one who should handle this for you.  It's their problem to get H-D to pay them for the repair or replacement, not yours.  And if they have a good painter on the payroll, I wouldn't object to having a spot repair performed.  Not a glob of touch up from a bottle, a real spot repair.

As the other's have mentioned, once you collect a couple rock chips or scratches, this won't seem as earth shaking as it did when you first found it.  I think we've all been through it, and speaking for myself I can say that I felt the same way about the various flaws I found.  Some I had repaired (replaced), other's I lived with or repaired myself.  Life went on.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 09:21:50 AM »

Frankly, I had to look at the pictures over and over again, to really detect what you're talking about. For that tiny chip, I'd personally not go through the hassle and have the fairing replaced, with all what could go wrong when all this comes apart without any real necessity. I'd just touch it up and ride. Just my 2 cents.

Ride safely,
Louis

PS: And no, you'll never get to keep any parts when an exchange actually happens.

X2

The noise is normal..  Enjoy your new bike!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 01:24:05 PM »

I had a chip in the fairing on the upper left-hand corner right between the chrome windshied strip and the windshield.  I never even saw it until the dealer pointed it out.  MoCo told the dealer to touch it up...dealer refused to do that and got the MoCo to send a new outer fairing, sans chip....I had to give kudos to the dealer for going to bat for me on that one.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

dustingaunder

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE in Spiced Rum
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 02:01:03 PM »

I found another chip yesterday evening on the right side panel.  I haven't mentioned it to the dealer, but they will be replacing that piece come hell or high water.  It is under the clear coat!  It is about the same size and shape as the chip on the fairing, but it has a nice thick glossy clear coat over it.
2010 FLHXSE w/
Fullsac X-Pipe 'B'
2.0 Baffles
TTS Tune
Clearview 8" Smoke Recurve
Nice and Simple!

dustingaunder

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE in Spiced Rum
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2010, 08:04:56 PM »

Update - I got my fairing and ride side panel replaced today at no cost to me.  I don't know all the details, but I know the dealer rep gave them grief about the fairing since I didn't find it on the PDI.  I know the MoCo paid for the right side panel, but I have a suspicion that my dealer paid for the fairing.  I really love those guys.  Talk about going above and beyond.  I will likely never buy a bike from any other HD dealer.  They have made an effort to fix every issue no matter how minor with this bike.
2010 FLHXSE w/
Fullsac X-Pipe 'B'
2.0 Baffles
TTS Tune
Clearview 8" Smoke Recurve
Nice and Simple!

Georgehjr

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE CVO™ Road Glide® Ultra-Rio Red/Black/ Ember-Triked Out
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic #1408/Triked Out
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE TEQUILA SUNRISE/Not A CVO-2002 Heritage Softail---
Re: Found a chip on my fairing....*Update*
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 12:15:00 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:
The one with the most Toys , WINS !!!

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
Re: Found a chip on my fairing....*Update*
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 01:38:57 AM »

Just received my 2010 black SE Ultra and the dealer pointed out some little "scratches" on the front fender. Didn't notice them myself. Also one of the black saddle bag latches had some chips. They'll have those things replaced. Bike rides great anyway ;-).

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.