Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Sumping, How best to tell?  (Read 26904 times)

Designflaw

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide
Sumping, How best to tell?
« on: April 19, 2018, 03:53:04 PM »

In laminas terms, what is sumping, how to I check for it without pulling it all apart? What is the best way to tell if it is or has been doing? Pulling the bike out of hibernation, it was 1 quart low when I put it up in the winter in 2800 miles since changed. Total mileage is 3800+/-
2017 FLHXSE CVO Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
Performance: HP 99 TQ 121
Stage II = HD Torque Cam SE8-447
Rinehart Slimline, 4" Cans
HD Tuner w/ Wideband module
Screaming Eagle Front Fork internals, Tuned Rear

Appearance:
Blacking out all chrome and bolts. (Work in progress)
Custom color matched carbon fiber parts
HD Passing Lamps and LED lamps

Sprintkid

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
Re: Sumping, How best to tell?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 04:28:32 PM »

Sumping is when the suction side of the oil pump does not remove enough oil from the crankcase. When the flywheels rotate in the oil they turn it into a aerated state. This product gets introduced into the PCV hose that connects into the intake manifold. Once an abundance of this product builds up it ends up running into the air cleaner and saturates it. When you are riding the droplets of this oil hits the air rushing by and splatters down the right side of your shiny motorcycle. If you take a paper towel and wipe the underside of your aircleaner and it shows any signs of liquid, you probably are sumping. That's my less than technical version of "the World of Sumping". I have a 2011 CVO and had it happen to me at 17,000 mi. I corrected the issue with a different cam plate and pump (Fueling). I also did a cam change ( Tman) and lifter upgrade (S&S) at the same time. So far and 62,000 later everything is hanging in there. This is just one opinion of the many that are out there. If you search this site you can find many more technical explanations but I think this covers the basics. The bottom line is it sucks that it happens but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 05:05:16 PM »

In laminas terms, what is sumping, how to I check for it without pulling it all apart? What is the best way to tell if it is or has been doing? Pulling the bike out of hibernation, it was 1 quart low when I put it up in the winter in 2800 miles since changed. Total mileage is 3800+/-
Did you do a stage 4 or stage 5 upgrade on the motor?
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 05:10:14 PM »

Sumping is when the suction side of the oil pump does not remove enough oil from the crankcase. When the flywheels rotate in the oil they turn it into a aerated state. This product gets introduced into the PCV hose that connects into the intake manifold. Once an abundance of this product builds up it ends up running into the air cleaner and saturates it. When you are riding the droplets of this oil hits the air rushing by and splatters down the right side of your shiny motorcycle. If you take a paper towel and wipe the underside of your aircleaner and it shows any signs of liquid, you probably are sumping. That's my less than technical version of "the World of Sumping". I have a 2011 CVO and had it happen to me at 17,000 mi. I corrected the issue with a different cam plate and pump (Fueling). I also did a cam change ( Tman) and lifter upgrade (S&S) at the same time. So far and 62,000 later everything is hanging in there. This is just one opinion of the many that are out there. If you search this site you can find many more technical explanations but I think this covers the basics. The bottom line is it sucks that it happens but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

This is accurate to a certain extent with older bikes. But the OP has a 2017 CVO. I’ve had 2 engines fail due to sumping on my 2017 CVO Limited. There was never a drop of oil that came out of the air cleaner. The sumping experience in the M8 is due to a miscalibration between the oil entering the crankcase and the oil being removed from the crankcase due to a defective oil pump and other engine design flaws. It is not an “all of a sudden” event. If you never ride more than 20-30 mins at a time, you'll likely never experience it. In fact you'll mask it because after building up oil in the crankcase, the next time you start the bike and let it idle for abit, it will empty the crankcase during idle. Sumping happens over time but only under certain circumstances such as rapid rpm changes over a period of time during hard riding in the twisties OR traveling longer distances at higher speeds on the highway. The amount of time is variable based on how mis-calibrated the oil flow is.

At first a sumping bike just feels slightly less powerful as it would on a normal hot day. But eventually the oil in the crankcase builds to the point that the crank is sloshing through the oil as it gets deeper in the crankcase. Eventually the crankcase fills leaving massive rotational resistance. Efforts to accelerate are met with...no response.  The engine simply can’t rapidly change rotational speed because of the resistance.

Engine failure comes from there being so much oil build up in the crankcase, that the pan is starved leaving no oil to be pumped to the top end. The engine also overheats just from all the resistance of too much oil in the crankcase. The engine begins to overheat and components such as bearings, lifters and worse begin to fail. The rider will never see an oil light which is quite disturbing as a significant design flaw in my opinion.

If you suspect sumping in an M8 engine, you should immediately read the latest version (there are 7 versions) of HD's Service Bulletin 1450 (attached below)

I hope that helps.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 06:47:32 AM by Heatwave »

Tobias7000

• Burgundy Sun Glow Fade
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OR

• CVO1: 2018 Limited - Burgundy Sun Glow Fade
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 01:28:50 AM »

So my new 2018 CVO I purchased last month could have this issue?  The service note is not clear about which bikes come with the new oil pump. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tobias
==============
No mods yet to my new 2018 CVO

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 06:06:26 AM »

As of 11/15/2017 it states.
Page 1 - M8 107, 114 & 117 ci engines.
Page 2 - 2017 and 2018 model motorcycles equipped with a Milwaukee-Eight engine.....
Page 2 - This information applies to all "2017 and 2018" Touring, CVO, Trike, Touring Police and 2018 Softail model motorcycles with a Milwaukee-Eight engine.
Page 4 - Use oil pump (part no. 62400182 or 62400178) with a package date of 10/10/2017 or later for engines that are exhibiting sumping.

Unfortunately, it's pretty clear.

The way I read this the problem is not just related to engines with stage III or stage IV kits it's happening to stock engines as well. However, it does state that all installing the stage kits should install the new pump also.

What I don't understand is why this is not a "recall", it's total bs that this is not a recall.

Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

Designflaw

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 01:50:36 PM »

Thank you for the great responses, and descriptions. My 14 had an oil pressure reading, this one just has "Ok" or I suppose something else when not "Ok". Not that it has anything to do with my question, but I don't like not seeing numbers.

I ride hard through back roads a lot, and interstate around 80 a lot as well, I am almost always on it for more than an hour at a time. Weekend rides are all day in the back roads so I assume I am a candidate. Is there a visual check that can be done? I don't want to be couple hundred miles out and have something dump.

My bike is stock, I am going to change exhaust and go with the HD tuner so I can keep the gods happy.

Thank you Heatwave for the bulletin, I will definitely be reading.
2017 FLHXSE CVO Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
Performance: HP 99 TQ 121
Stage II = HD Torque Cam SE8-447
Rinehart Slimline, 4" Cans
HD Tuner w/ Wideband module
Screaming Eagle Front Fork internals, Tuned Rear

Appearance:
Blacking out all chrome and bolts. (Work in progress)
Custom color matched carbon fiber parts
HD Passing Lamps and LED lamps

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 02:00:19 PM »

Thank you for the great responses, and descriptions. My 14 had an oil pressure reading, this one just has "Ok" or I suppose something else when not "Ok". Not that it has anything to do with my question, but I don't like not seeing numbers.

I ride hard through back roads a lot, and interstate around 80 a lot as well, I am almost always on it for more than an hour at a time. Weekend rides are all day in the back roads so I assume I am a candidate. Is there a visual check that can be done? I don't want to be couple hundred miles out and have something dump.

My bike is stock, I am going to change exhaust and go with the HD tuner so I can keep the gods happy.

Thank you Heatwave for the bulletin, I will definitely be reading.

The only visual check that can be done without engine disassembly is to remove the Crank Position Sensor under the engine after the steps described in SB1450. If more than 6 fluid ounces is captured, then the engine is definitely sumping. Follow the steps in the bulletin precisely to determine if your engine is sumping. Best to have it done at a dealership. If you suspect the engine is sumping (loss of power). one temporary fix is to pull over and let the engine idle. The idling engine will eventually correct the imbalance and move the oil out of the crankcase and into the oil pan. Unfortunately, if those same riding/rpm/load conditions exist again, the oil flow imbalance will only return with an oil build up in the crankcase resulting in the potential for damage all over again.

Unfortunately all 2017 and up bikes now only include a message of "OK" or "Not OK" instead of an oil pressure reading like the 2014-2016 Rushmore bikes. There isn't even an HD accessory oil pressure sensor that could replace the existing sensor to provide a pressure reading. Clearly the MoCo does NOT want owners knowing the exact oil pressure reading. They much prefer the "dumbed down" approach of an oil pressure idiot light.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 02:04:07 PM by Heatwave »

oe542bob

• Full CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7(traded)
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE(traded)
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHXSE(traded) ‘19 FLHXSE(traded) ‘21 FLHXSE
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 03:23:52 PM »

Since buying my ‘17 FLHXSE about a year ago I’ve only have been able to put a little over 400 miles on it. I’ve been a member here for almost 6 years. I thought this sumping thing was just with bikes that had engine mods done. But now I’m learning that it is even bone stock engines.
Read the the tech bulletin listed here. Seems like the oil pumps should just be changed out right away.
I can’t think that I’m gonna have to go on a long trip at highway speeds to have this happen and risk a catastrophic engine failure. As I’ve read about this issue I’m to the point that I don’t know if I can feel confident that I even trust this engine now. Geez!
I should say I haven’t had any problems so far, oh, but I only have 400 miles!!! No breakdowns yet! HAHA!
Should I just bite the bullet and have a new pump installed on my dime? Will the new pump really fix this issue?

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 03:56:47 PM »

Since buying my ‘17 FLHXSE about a year ago I’ve only have been able to put a little over 400 miles on it. I’ve been a member here for almost 6 years. I thought this sumping thing was just with bikes that had engine mods done. But now I’m learning that it is even bone stock engines.
Read the the tech bulletin listed here. Seems like the oil pumps should just be changed out right away.
I can’t think that I’m gonna have to go on a long trip at highway speeds to have this happen and risk a catastrophic engine failure. As I’ve read about this issue I’m to the point that I don’t know if I can feel confident that I even trust this engine now. Geez!
I should say I haven’t had any problems so far, oh, but I only have 400 miles!!! No breakdowns yet! HAHA!
Should I just bite the bullet and have a new pump installed on my dime? Will the new pump really fix this issue?

It will not be known for sure if this latest oil pump design (7th version) solves the issue until it has more time, miles and loads as the 2018 riding season begins in earnest. I hope in a month or so I can share my experience that the latest pump design has solved the issue. But I go into my own stage IV upgrade with my eyes wide open that it might not be the solution.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 04:32:03 PM by Heatwave »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 04:17:49 PM »

There is a lot more to this issue than Harley is telling anyone.  Do any of you really believe that somehow they forgot how to design and manufacture an oil pump?  The M8 isn't some sort of cutting edge new to the world engine design.  The only differences in oil pumps as best I can tell should be between the oil cooled models and the twin cooled models, and as long as they install the correct pump it shouldn't be rocket science.  Seven revisions and still having failures tells me they don't have a clue and there are other factors involved besides the oil pump.  Either they are dumping too much oil into the crankcase, or the scavenge side of the pump is undersized or failing for some other reason.  Recently they blamed the techs installing the pumps, claiming they weren't aligning the pump properly.  In other words, they are getting desperate after making seven revisions and still not fixing the problem, and are looking for scapegoats.  Typical H-D.

JMHO - Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

• CVO1: 2000 screaming eagle road glide
    • CVO2: 2005 screaming eagle v-rod 2009 cvo road Glide 2011cvo street glide
    • CVO3: 2015 cvo street glide
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 04:25:58 PM »

my buddy is on 7 th motor  just started to sump again 11 ounces of oil in crank case sensor 2017 cvo stage 4 kit

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 06:01:37 PM »

my buddy is on 7 th motor  just started to sump again 11 ounces of oil in crank case sensor 2017 cvo stage 4 kit

If I was on my 7th motor, I think it would be time for buyback, how many days was he with out with 7 motors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

redtwin

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: FXR-4
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
    • CVO3: 2010 ROADDGLIDE
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 06:46:29 PM »

This is accurate to a certain extent with older bikes. But the OP has a 2017 CVO. I’ve had 2 engines fail due to sumping on my 2017 CVO Limited. There was never a drop of oil that came out of the air cleaner. The sumping experience in the M8 is due to a miscalibration between the oil entering the crankcase and the oil being removed from the crankcase due to a defective oil pump and other engine design flaws. It is not an “all of a sudden” event. If you never ride more than 20-30 mins at a time, you'll likely never experience it. In fact you'll mask it because after building up oil in the crankcase, the next time you start the bike and let it idle for abit, it will empty the crankcase during idle. Sumping happens over time but only under certain circumstances such as rapid rpm changes over a period of time during hard riding in the twisties OR traveling longer distances at higher speeds on the highway. The amount of time is variable based on how mis-calibrated the oil flow is.

At first a sumping bike just feels slightly less powerful as it would on a normal hot day. But eventually the oil in the crankcase builds to the point that the crank is sloshing through the oil as it gets deeper in the crankcase. Eventually the crankcase fills leaving massive rotational resistance. Efforts to accelerate are met with...no response.  The engine simply can’t rapidly change rotational speed because of the resistance.

Engine failure comes from there being so much oil build up in the crankcase, that the pan is starved leaving no oil to be pumped to the top end. The engine also overheats just from all the resistance of too much oil in the crankcase. The engine begins to overheat and components such as bearings, lifters and worse begin to fail. The rider will never see an oil light which is quite disturbing as a significant design flaw in my opinion.

If you suspect sumping in an M8 engine, you should immediately read the latest version (there are 7 versions) of HD's Service Bulletin 1450 (attached below)

I hope that helps
I have never seen this and thank you I think I am going to make a change!

redtwin

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: FXR-4
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
    • CVO3: 2010 ROADDGLIDE
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 06:52:09 PM »

Does anyone know of any softail models with the slumping issues,just curious
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 25 queries.