Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Sumping, How best to tell?  (Read 26903 times)

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
Re: Sumping, How best to tell?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 07:01:07 PM »

Does anyone know of any softail models with the slumping issues,just curious

2018 Softails with M8 engines are INCLUDED in the Service Bulletin.

redtwin

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: FXR-4
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
    • CVO3: 2010 ROADDGLIDE
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 07:35:28 AM »

Has anyone used the fueling oil pump and cam plate ?
And if so has it helped

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

• CVO1: 2000 screaming eagle road glide
    • CVO2: 2005 screaming eagle v-rod 2009 cvo road Glide 2011cvo street glide
    • CVO3: 2015 cvo street glide
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2018, 03:40:48 PM »

He wants a buy back but they wont do it,Im thinking he has a test bike for them.He has 9000 miles on the bike .

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 06:18:02 PM »

He wants a buy back but they wont do it,Im thinking he has a test bike for them.He has 9000 miles on the bike .

Depending on what state he lives in, they might not have a choice, most lemon laws include motorcycles, I would start with the Attorney General's office first.
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2018, 01:07:47 AM »

Thank you for the great responses, and descriptions. My 14 had an oil pressure reading, this one just has "Ok" or I suppose something else when not "Ok". Not that it has anything to do with my question, but I don't like not seeing numbers.

I ride hard through back roads a lot, and interstate around 80 a lot as well, I am almost always on it for more than an hour at a time. Weekend rides are all day in the back roads so I assume I am a candidate. Is there a visual check that can be done? I don't want to be couple hundred miles out and have something dump.

My bike is stock, I am going to change exhaust and go with the HD tuner so I can keep the gods happy.

Thank you Heatwave for the bulletin, I will definitely be reading.
the visual check is simple . before you leave on your rides check the oil when you have run 100 or 200 miles and stop for coffee or gas or just what ever  check the oil on a flat surface  again .  get the cell phone out and take a pic of things  like oil level before you leave and as your progress into your ride  and if you are out just  sport riding  and up and down  the rpm scale not  necessarily wide open which does not need to happen to get the motor  hotter than hell, and sump  like you never imagined possible. the heat is off the charts and the oil will stink so bad you will puke. this is a serious issue and not a thing so far as I know is a cure for this mess.   like may have stated is how in the sam hell does  hd get away with not having a  total recall with a fix or buy back?     this  sumping is very very dangerous to be sure when your in traffic and your bike is not able to get out of the way  when you think it should.  yes  you can easily tell when sumping is going on by checking oil,, and  heat, you can feel  and total loss of power. another thing is you just many not be able to get the dipstick out of the tank because the heat is so great and yo cannot even touch the dipstick  to turn it out so carry  rags and a ssmalll channel lock to  be nice to you equipment . yes its that serious  no reason to lie or bs anyone it is what its and like it or not  there are a lot of bikes that sooner or later are going to puke just wait and see.

Designflaw

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 04:51:54 PM »

Okay,  back on the bike paying attention to the comments and I'm not having any of the issues - knock on wood. I ride hard and fast. Bought my bike in  2016 so  Definitely early model.  Going to let the dealership do my 5000 mile oil change and check for sumping anyway. They are good friends of mine and won't BS me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2017 FLHXSE CVO Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
Performance: HP 99 TQ 121
Stage II = HD Torque Cam SE8-447
Rinehart Slimline, 4" Cans
HD Tuner w/ Wideband module
Screaming Eagle Front Fork internals, Tuned Rear

Appearance:
Blacking out all chrome and bolts. (Work in progress)
Custom color matched carbon fiber parts
HD Passing Lamps and LED lamps

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2018, 01:13:19 PM »

Since buying my ‘17 FLHXSE about a year ago I’ve only have been able to put a little over 400 miles on it. I’ve been a member here for almost 6 years. I thought this sumping thing was just with bikes that had engine mods done. But now I’m learning that it is even bone stock engines.
Read the the tech bulletin listed here. Seems like the oil pumps should just be changed out right away.
I can’t think that I’m gonna have to go on a long trip at highway speeds to have this happen and risk a catastrophic engine failure. As I’ve read about this issue I’m to the point that I don’t know if I can feel confident that I even trust this engine now. Geez!
I should say I haven’t had any problems so far, oh, but I only have 400 miles!!! No breakdowns yet! HAHA!
Should I just bite the bullet and have a new pump installed on my dime? Will the new pump really fix this issue?
if your lucky it will  fix it.  if is a big word

Fier23

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2019, 03:23:59 PM »

Not to dig up an old post but I figured people would like to know that my 2019 Black Forest street glide cvo with only 700 miles sumped on me when out for a long ride Sunday. Dealer has it now, we’ll see. Just bought it last month.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2019, 03:50:21 PM »

Not to dig up an old post but I figured people would like to know that my 2019 Black Forest street glide cvo with only 700 miles sumped on me when out for a long ride Sunday. Dealer has it now, we’ll see. Just bought it last month.

Do you know yet if it had the sealed oil pump or was it an early 2019 with the older pump? Did the engine have any upgrades?

Fier23

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2019, 03:51:33 PM »

Do you know yet if it had the sealed oil pump or was it an early 2019 with the older pump? Did the engine have any upgrades?
No upgrades all stock but I’ll find out when it was produced because I am not certain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

load97

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide Red Pepper & Magnetic Grey With Black Hole
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2019, 10:36:18 AM »

I didn't know there was a difference in oil pumps. Hopefully the newer one is better  :-\ I bought mine in April of this year so hopefully has the newer version.
2019 CVO Road Glide Red Pepper & Magnetic Grey With Black Hole
2017 CVO Street Glide Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black *Traded*

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2019, 10:55:47 AM »

There is now a 2020 MY pump kit part number 62400247. Anybody have feedback on this latest version that claims to scavenge 44% more from the flywheel side?
Thanks

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2019, 11:10:30 AM »

I didn't know there was a difference in oil pumps. Hopefully the newer one is better  :-\ I bought mine in April of this year so hopefully has the newer version.

Unfortunately you have the older oil pump version. The new version did not get installed from the factory until May 22, 2019.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2019, 12:15:59 PM »

How well is this working when you put one of the hot rods on a dyno, which seems to about worse case scenario?

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2019, 12:23:26 PM »

How well have the older HD M8 oil pumps worked with "hot rod" engines? Most hot rod engines have aftermarket cylinders and pistons that can be "trued" before install, which removes one variable out of the sumping equation.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 12:25:45 PM by Heatwave »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 25 queries.