Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: T-Man 117 build on my SERK4  (Read 19175 times)

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
Re: T-Man 117 build on my SERK4
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2009, 10:56:26 PM »

One big huge congratulations to you Jeff!  You look good on her!   :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks Scott. And thanks for the advice along the way!

JW

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2009, 11:20:05 AM »

Great to see you (both) back together. My questions on the build can wait but what is the procedure you plan to follow for the break in period? I know I would go nuts having all that TQ and not laying into her a few times. As previously mentioned, good luck & I hope you got it nailed to perfection this time. Keep us posted.

Ray G.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2009, 12:06:17 PM »

Great to see you (both) back together. My questions on the build can wait but what is the procedure you plan to follow for the break in period? I know I would go nuts having all that TQ and not laying into her a few times. As previously mentioned, good luck & I hope you got it nailed to perfection this time. Keep us posted.

Ray G.

Thanks

I'm keeping her under 3000 rpm for the first 500 miles which will be achieved Sat if not today. Oil change and under 3500 rpm for the next 500 miles. Hope to have her on the dyno next week. I hope this time we nailed it.

Time to ride, I'll cut grass later!

JW

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2009, 11:11:51 PM »

Got in a day + of riding between rain and family responsibilities. 675 miles. More impressions.

Motor noise: the ticking (valve train noise) has been reduced from when I first picked her up. I'm hoping getting rid of the syn3 for something better may help reduce the noise even further. I'll have them check the pushrod adjustment also.

D&D Fat Cat w/Big Boar Quiet Baffles: they do sound low and throaty. From what little I've gotten on the motor to date, they have a distinctive growl of their own. They are quieter than the RHTD while riding. To me they are louder at idle but quieter the rest of the time compared to the RHTD's. I still miss the TD bark. The D&D chrome is superior to the RH chrome. No noise from the heat shields or brackets.

Jet Hot Coating: the pipes are significantly cooler to the rider. I can still see the pipes in the reflection on the chrome. No bluing. Looks great.

Power: As much as I want to, I'm pampering her. It is probably needless but twice is enough, right Howie? So I think she's going to deliver from glimpses if seen but the prove will be after the tune.

Rear shock: Still leak slightly and bottom a lot. Going to try the Works Street Tracker built for my needs. Cheaper than the Bitubos. Perhaps better than the Progressives. I'll let you know.

Front forks: Going to Traxxion Dynamics in May. nough said!

I hope to get the tuned this week if all goes well and the rain gives me a break. I'll let you know.

JW
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 11:23:40 PM by Black Diamond »

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2009, 01:26:40 PM »

The saga continues:

Since removing my Cycle Rama heads and cams I have put over 2500 miles on the T-Man build.  Here's what i've observed to date:

The torque comes on significantly faster and stays turned on longer. The motor is at 100 ft lbs before 2400 rpm. This is just over 200 rpm faster than the Cycle Rama kit. She does not drop below 100 ft lbs until 5900 rpm. The Cycle Rama kit dripped below 100 ft lbs at 5300 rpm. This makes the motor "feel" more powerfull than before but the top numbers are very similar. As Just Us Six said after riding her "She's really torquey."

Which of course brings on the horsepower much quicker too. She makes 100 hp by 4400 rpm and levels off and holds at around 114 hp from 5300 - 5900 rpms. The old kit made made 100 horses at 5300 rpm making 101 hp at 5500 rpm.

I'm not much for dyno numbers. I don't care about bragging rights. This is comparing my 1st build (Cycle Rama) to my 2nd build (T-Man) using the same shop and dyno to do both. I know there are many variables that make for changes in the dynos but that's not what I'm posting about, nor do I care! I'm saying the difference to me the rider is this motor is one heck of a lot of fun.

Noise: the T-Man heads do tick more than the SE 110 Cycle Rama heads. But the noise is way down from when I first picked her up.

Exhaust: I still miss my Rinehart True Dual sound. The Fat Cats with the Big Boar Quiet baffles just sound more raspy! I'll give it this riding year to grow on me.

Rear Shocks: the Works shocks worked great on the E. S. trip as well as daily commuting. They were a great investment. Easy to adjust and comfortable to rider and passenger.

Front forks: I'm going to Traxxion Dynamics on May 28 for the AK-20 install. I hope they can adjust them for my purposes as I do not have the front end weight the Ultra / Road Glide bikes have.

Now for the problem. The tech is having a hell of a time with the tune. My bike has been in the dyno room several times trying to get a tune in. The SERT is tossing a couple of codes at the tech that are telling the motor to shut down. There seems to be a problem with my wireless throttle body sensors. He explained all this to me and has talked with the Digital Tech people. So far the problem has not been fixed. The motor will generally idle fine at around 1000 - 1050 rpm. However there will be times where the idle will drop to 900 rpm and be rough. Then on occassion it will be 1200 rpm. The tech has never seen this problem before but believes it is a sensor / ECM issue. They are looking at removing the SERT and installing a Super Tuner on the MoCo dime. I'm dropping her off Monday so they can have her for a few days prior to my Traxxion trip.

She also puked out the air breather on me riding down to E. S. Did this in a traffic jam on I-44 in a traffic jam caused by an accident / broke down car. Cleaned the filter up with Simple Green, rinsed the filter and let it dry and so far have not had a re-occurrance. They are going to track that problem down also.

JW

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2009, 01:27:12 PM »

Had to have a little ice cream while waiting for the filter to dry in the sun!

JW

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2009, 02:07:09 PM »

Nice report on the motor build, you will like the traxxion front end. You will notice a big difference at first and after awhile it's like it was always that way. No more big dive in the front like stock I think that is the thing I like the best. Good luck with it.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2009, 02:16:24 PM »

Nice report on the motor build, you will like the traxxion front end. You will notice a big difference at first and after awhile it's like it was always that way. No more big dive in the front like stock I think that is the thing I like the best. Good luck with it.

Thanks Rooster

After talking with several guys at the E. S. GTG, my only concern is the AK20's may make the ride a little harsher on a Road King. I'll talk with the techs at Traxxion Dynamics. It's probably just a matter of getting it dialed in.

JW

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2009, 02:44:11 PM »

Thanks Rooster

After talking with several guys at the E. S. GTG, my only concern is the AK20's may make the ride a little harsher on a Road King. I'll talk with the techs at Traxxion Dynamics. It's probably just a matter of getting it dialed in.

JW

Yea it seems stiff at first . I was worried about that, but after riding it awhile it is just better. It is such a change from the mushy stock frontend.
I'm sure you'll love it after you have riden it awhile. Get her dialed in.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2009, 02:22:54 PM »

I just remembered, didn't your bike come lowered? That may be why a little stiffer, not sure though.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2009, 03:35:58 PM »

I just remembered, didn't your bike come lowered? That may be why a little stiffer, not sure though.

I've asked the same question? The broucher that came with the bike and all literature I have found says the rear was lowered. However, several have insisted the front is lowered also. Howie says when he had the AK20's installed he raised it an inch to stock Road King height. I have found the part numbers listed both ways.  :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

JW

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2009, 11:10:47 AM »

The saga continues:

Now for the problem. The tech is having a hell of a time with the tune. My bike has been in the dyno room several times trying to get a tune in. The SERT is tossing a couple of codes at the tech that are telling the motor to shut down. There seems to be a problem with my wireless throttle body sensors. He explained all this to me and has talked with the Digital Tech people. So far the problem has not been fixed. The motor will generally idle fine at around 1000 - 1050 rpm. However there will be times where the idle will drop to 900 rpm and be rough. Then on occasion it will be 1200 rpm. The tech has never seen this problem before but believes it is a sensor / ECM issue. They are looking at removing the SERT and installing a Super Tuner on the MoCo dime. I'm dropping her off Monday so they can have her for a few days prior to my Traxxion trip.

She also puked out the air breather on me riding down to E. S. Did this in a traffic jam on I-44 in a traffic jam caused by an accident / broke down car. Cleaned the filter up with Simple Green, rinsed the filter and let it dry and so far have not had a re-occurrance. They are going to track that problem down also.

JW

While talking with the guys at the shop, I explained several other odd electrical things occurring on my scoot. 1st the remaining fuel / mileage indicator in my speedo is way off. When I have 1 gallon left, the display shows I can go another 103 miles.

The motor shut off like someone turning off a light switch once when I pulled the clutch in. She idled for a couple of seconds just fine then off. Very strange feeling when your 400 miles from home.

Once back home waiting to take her in, the motor is purring along while I'm travelling at 45 - 50 mph. Then I experience a hiccup / stutter for a second then it resumes purring along.

I also noted the turn signals did not alway self-cancel.

The final indicator was the security system went off with my key fob sitting on the bike. When I lifted the fob up, the security system turned off. I rode her into the dealer with no problems on Monday. On Wednesday they called me to ask for my security override code as the fob was not turning off the security system. The code did not work either. The area factory rep was there when it occurred. He has seen this on another CVO. It was either a sensor or the ECM.

After running several diagnostic test, the turn signal sensor was bad. This sensor messed up the timing on my scooter as well as the other items. This was replaced. Everything worked, speedo, turn signals, fob and the idle was perfect. The SM rode my bike a lot as he knew I was going to Georgia Tuesday. Called me Friday morning with the news to pick her up. They were going to do a little cleaning up on the tune to take care of the decel pop and she's ready to go.  :)

Hour later the SM called back. She's back to being the "bike from Hell"  >:( As soon as the hooked the scooter up to fix the decel pop, they got several codes flashing at em. After more testing, the Digital Tech system reports - Replace ECM. They did this test two more times with the same results. Harley is overnighting a new ECM to the shop. The SM insisted the MoCo replace the SERT with the Super Tuner. The MoCo is overnighting the new tuner also. Perhaps this will all be for the best as some believe my tuning problems have been with the Race Tuner and the wireless throttle system.  :nixweiss:

So my trip to Traxxion is off for now. I'm very glad Roger (SM) went to extra mile of checking and rechecking everything. As complicated as the electronic on our bikes has gotten you can never be sure why one thing occurs (such as a idle problem) which leads to other problems (turn signals, speedo, etc) They believe the bad ECM caused the turn signal sensor to go out and not the other way around. However, the replace ecm code did not show up until after the sensor was replace and the tune was being looked at.

I just wanted to pass this along in case someone else starts seeing these problems. I'll up date after the ECM Super Tuner is installed, tuned and I'm on the rode. Sorry for the long winded post!

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2009, 06:22:57 PM »

Roger @ the shop just called me. My scooter is done, again  ???  The new ECM was installed and the SEST installed. The tune is done. Everything was covered under warranty.  ;D  I'm picking her up tomorrow. Let you know  :-\. Just us 6 is coming along for the ride on his pretty O/B SERG.

JW

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2009, 09:03:02 AM »

Well I did pick up my scooter. The new ECM is installed. The SEST is tuned and no oil has spewed from her in many test drive miles. A compression test and a leak down test have been done with the the motor appearing to be OK. The oil relief valve has been cleaned up and inspected for the blow by problem. I rode my 84 FXR to leave for a little fine tuning on the S&S carb as she's a little rich.

Just Us Six (Brad) and I leave for home 120 miles away. The bike is clean and shiny. Motor feels strong, still has good low - mid torque. Got on her just a little bit. The clouds were gone, sun is shining. It's a great day. I stop at a Walgreen's to get some sunscreen. Upon returning to the bikes Brads says "You got some oil on your saddlebag." I look and say "No, I got oil on down the whole right side...and a puddle between the pushrods..again!"

A quick call to Roger and Bere. I return to the shop while Just Us Six has family obligations and heads the remaining 100 miles for home.

Upon return to the shop, they are standing there waiting for me in disbelief. They have test ridden this bike on a number of occasions. The S/M has ridden the bike home, 10 miles one way twice. The motor never leaked a drop after they cleaned up the oil relief valve thinking that fixed the problem. I described where and how I road as well as what occurred.

An oil pressure gauge is attached to the motor and quick tied on the engine guard. The bike is started and the motor run through different rpm ranges. Everything appears normal. The tech takes it for a ride following the route I just rode, two lane highway. Approx 45 minutes later he is pulling back in saying over the sound of the motor that the oil pressures is perfect and no leaks. As the motor drops to idle I notice a plum of blue smoke from the tail pipe at the same time the tech is shutting her down. As soon as the motor stops, oil pukes out of the A/C between the pushrods and puddles. I point it out to him as he is getting off. He looks at it then me and says "It's the rings." The S/M comes out. The tech explains what just happened. Roger (S/M) says "It's the rings." It's after 5:00 p.m. so we're done for the day. Roger lets me know I have free gas, meal, etc coming. You can tell they feel like chit. But chit Happens! No one's shooting at me and it ain't raining, so still not a bad day overall.

So the rings will be overnighted to the shop. The bike will be torn down again and inspected, measured and necessary parts ordered. The "Curse of the Jeffs" is alive and well for one Jeff!  :'(  :banghead:  :hyst:

The 84 FXR got me home again, no problems! Old technology has a lot going for it.

JW

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2009, 09:27:58 AM »

Well I did pick up my scooter. The new ECM is installed. The SEST is tuned and no oil has spewed from her in many test drive miles. A compression test and a leak down test have been done with the the motor appearing to be OK. The oil relief valve has been cleaned up and inspected for the blow by problem. I rode my 84 FXR to leave for a little fine tuning on the S&S carb as she's a little rich.

Just Us Six (Brad) and I leave for home 120 miles away. The bike is clean and shiny. Motor feels strong, still has good low - mid torque. Got on her just a little bit. The clouds were gone, sun is shining. It's a great day. I stop at a Walgreen's to get some sunscreen. Upon returning to the bikes Brads says "You got some oil on your saddlebag." I look and say "No, I got oil on down the whole right side...and a puddle between the pushrods..again!"

A quick call to Roger and Bere. I return to the shop while Just Us Six has family obligations and heads the remaining 100 miles for home.

Upon return to the shop, they are standing there waiting for me in disbelief. They have test ridden this bike on a number of occasions. The S/M has ridden the bike home, 10 miles one way twice. The motor never leaked a drop after they cleaned up the oil relief valve thinking that fixed the problem. I described where and how I road as well as what occurred.

An oil pressure gauge is attached to the motor and quick tied on the engine guard. The bike is started and the motor run through different rpm ranges. Everything appears normal. The tech takes it for a ride following the route I just rode, two lane highway. Approx 45 minutes later he is pulling back in saying over the sound of the motor that the oil pressures is perfect and no leaks. As the motor drops to idle I notice a plum of blue smoke from the tail pipe at the same time the tech is shutting her down. As soon as the motor stops, oil pukes out of the A/C between the pushrods and puddles. I point it out to him as he is getting off. He looks at it then me and says "It's the rings." The S/M comes out. The tech explains what just happened. Roger (S/M) says "It's the rings." It's after 5:00 p.m. so we're done for the day. Roger lets me know I have free gas, meal, etc coming. You can tell they feel like chit. But chit Happens! No one's shooting at me and it ain't raining, so still not a bad day overall.

So the rings will be overnighted to the shop. The bike will be torn down again and inspected, measured and necessary parts ordered. The "Curse of the Jeffs" is alive and well for one Jeff!  :'(  :banghead:  :hyst:

The 84 FXR got me home again, no problems! Old technology has a lot going for it.

JW
Man, sorry to read this Jeff ... but the dealer seems to be working with ya. Come on over to the dark side ... it's easier  :bananarock:

Howie
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 24 queries.