Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Cruise Control  (Read 2790 times)

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
Cruise Control
« on: May 30, 2007, 01:02:32 PM »

My cruise control stopped working on my 03 SERK.  The lights on the handlebar switches come on as if it were working.  Does anyone know something about this? 
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Cruise Control
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 02:03:22 PM »

is it an intermittent thing or never works?

when you turn on the bike look at the check engine light it should turn on and then off after a second or two if it comes back on after that then there's an error code in the system. cruise will be dis-abled if there is a code present
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 08:39:46 PM »

I checked for codes, I hadn't noticed the light coming back on.  I have a twinscan II which I used to check to make sure.  No codes.
Thanks
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 08:45:04 PM »

It sounds as if the unit thinks it is working so far as its own electronic monitoring is concerned.  If a code or other problem were keeping the system from arming then are armed light wouldn't even go green.

While it may or may not be the problem don't dismiss the simple stuff.  Have seen those cables break or simply become disconnected at the throttle body.  The cable is cheap (less then $30 if I remember correctly) and pretty eash to change to. 

Whatever it turns out to be, good luck.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 09:17:17 PM »

if no codes, i'd try using it reapeatedly while on the highway if it comes on even once and cuts out, i'd suspect the throttle/idle cable ( cant remember which one has the micro switch ) the shop book for your model year will tell you how to reset the lash and do some diagnostics on the module
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 09:26:23 PM »

if no codes, i'd try using it reapeatedly while on the highway if it comes on even once and cuts out, i'd suspect the throttle/idle cable ( cant remember which one has the micro switch ) the shop book for your model year will tell you how to reset the lash and do some diagnostics on the module

If the switch in the idle cable were the problem the armed light wouldn't go on though.  Unless I misread the first post he was getting an armed signal.  That should eliminate system electronics other than a failure in the stepper motor in the module itself. 

If for any reason the throttle body has been messed with or the cable has been messed with the lash adjustment would need to be reset.  It takes very little tug on the stepper cable to have things extended far enough that there's not enough travel to pull the throttle.  Short of the cables having been messed with though just do the normal troubleshooting.  Start with the simplest/cheapest and work your out from there.

Good luck.

p.s., If you need or want the lash adjustment sequence here it is:

barkleydog

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 10:00:49 PM »

I don't know nothin from nothin, but my bike did that and at an oil change the Stealer fixed it for like ten bucks. Said it was a fuse , I dunno
I did not use it anyhow... You might check the simple stuff like they said... :)

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 05:24:53 AM »

Thanks, I'll try the lash adjustment .  I don't thnk it is a fuseunless there is one hidden somewhere, I checked the ones under the left side cover, they looked good.  The lights on the handlebars show that the system thinks it is working.  Thanks
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 06:05:03 PM »

My  :pumpkin: is at the dealership at this moment; cruise has been working fine all along, but the indicator just never turned green...stayed red, set or not.  Dealer is replacing the tach ('cause that's where the light is) under extended warranty.  :)
:-Jerry
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 11:30:18 PM »

I tried the cable lash adjustment, no luck.  I think the motor that holds the throttle open must not be working as the lights do indicate the power is on and set.  My road king has the red power on the left and green light for when it is engaged on the right.  they both come on but no cruise
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 11:37:26 PM »

I tried the cable lash adjustment, no luck.  I think the motor that holds the throttle open must not be working as the lights do indicate the power is on and set.  My road king has the red power on the left and green light for when it is engaged on the right.  they both come on but no cruise

The stepper cable is easy to disengage from the transducer.  Once the cable is released the transducer is only held to the bike with three nuts inside the battery tray.  If the cable isn't broken or unhooked you could change the transducer yourself.

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 06:53:05 AM »

Thanks twolane, I'll have to look for it.  Maybe I knocked something loose when I changed the battery?
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 10:29:31 AM »

Thanks to all, I found the problem.  The cable bracket that holds the throttle cab;es and cruise control  cable is broken. I jerry rigged it with a cable tie until I can get one.  I wonder if this is worth turning in under the extended warranty?
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 11:08:40 AM »

Thanks to all, I found the problem.  The cable bracket that holds the throttle cab;es and cruise control  cable is broken. I jerry rigged it with a cable tie until I can get one.  I wonder if this is worth turning in under the extended warranty?

It's great that tracking the cables back you found the problem.  If I'm guessing correctly as to what you're describing that "bracket" where all three cables meet the engine is part of the throttle body.  What actually broke there?

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 12:02:05 PM »

The tip broke where the cable bracket partially surrounds the cruise cable.  Mine now is able to slip out and drop out  of the bracket.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.