Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Trouble starting hot  (Read 5082 times)

103CRG

• Cobalt gypsy
Trouble starting hot
« on: May 29, 2005, 02:48:19 PM »

My first post to this forum and I have enjoyed the topics and information on the CVO's found here. I took delivery in Sept. 03 of an 04SEEG and have enjoyed many miles of trouble free riding. This bike has the Stage I SE A/C, SE slip-ons and has been remapped with the Race Tuner. This done in the spring of 2004. I'm planning to replace the exhaust later this season with something better than the current pipes/SEslip-on system. I'd like to keep or hopefully improve as much of the lowend torque as I can.  [smiley=1syellow1.gif]

My question. Lately this bike has been hard to re-start with a hot motor. Usually after less than a 15minute shut down. It can take several attempts before it will start. When cold or allowed to sit longer it fires right up on the first crank everytime no matter what the outside temp is. Idles well, performance and fuel mileage is great. Have used the Race Tuner and found no fault codes. I have good charging voltages (14 to 15v)with the system loaded and also use a bettery tender when not riding. Do I need a new battery or starter this soon?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Trouble starting hot
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 07:50:19 PM »

103;
Welcome to the site! I don't know what your problem might be but I can tell you that I doubt it is the starter or the battery. If it has good cranking than both are fine. Are you waiting for the engine light and the security light to go out before trying to start?

103CRG

• Cobalt gypsy
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 09:31:11 PM »

dude;
Yes I wait for the lights to go out before starting. This problem started last fall just before winter storage time. I assumed a load of bad gas at the time. Doesn't appear to be the case with fresh gas. Hard to describe. Motor kicks as soon as starter is ingaged,  throws out start clutch then quits. If I hold the start button down longer, letting starter work, it acts like it hits a motor compression pulse really slows cranking but always starts the motor. Not sure what to think.. Maybe the start drive? This only happens after motor is up to full temperature. A short hop around the patch won't do it. I'm going to check the voltage drops on battery cables next. Haven't done a real load test on the battery yet. But with all electrics on and over 2k RPM the charging voltage is just fine.
Any words of wisdom are appreciated. I hope your having better riding weather than here in the wet Northeast.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 01:05:15 AM »

dude;
Yes I wait for the lights to go out before starting. This problem started last fall just before winter storage time. I assumed a load of bad gas at the time. Doesn't appear to be the case with fresh gas. Hard to describe. Motor kicks as soon as starter is ingaged,  throws out start clutch then quits. If I hold the start button down longer, letting starter work, it acts like it hits a motor compression pulse really slows cranking but always starts the motor. Not sure what to think.. Maybe the start drive? This only happens after motor is up to full temperature. A short hop around the patch won't do it. I'm going to check the voltage drops on battery cables next. Haven't done a real load test on the battery yet. But with all electrics on and over 2k RPM the charging voltage is just fine.
Any words of wisdom are appreciated. I hope your having better riding weather than here in the wet Northeast.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Hi 103, welcome...sorry your first post was on a problem. I am no mechanic, but have been around Harleys for many years. I have an 05 that does the same thing as yours. I am fortunate in that I work at a dealer..had the tech chk it out. He said starter, battery and charging system are good. He suggested compression releases.  I did not do any internal engine work....yet. I plan on gear cams and different heads and compression releases. Apparently several stock 103's have had similiar things happen. I don't know if that is your problem. I always use the highest octane gas I can find, it still does it. Hope this helps and as far as the weather it has been TERRIFIC!   [smiley=beerchug.gif]

harly2

• 2005 Screamin Eagle
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 10:30:57 AM »

CRG103:

I had the same problem. I have about  4 thousand miles on my o5 and it started to get hard to start after getting warm. I took it back to the dealer and they adjusted the fuel injection. What they told me was that Harley ships them within their tolerences and that soemtimes they are adjusted right on the edge of the specs. Mine was the sixth 05 (not all SEEG's) that they had to readjust the fuel injection.

They simply warm it up then put it on their computer and adjusted it. I just completed a 1100 mile ride through the Blue [smiley=beerchug.gif Ridge and it started fine every time since the adjustment.  [smiley=7.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 11:55:11 AM »

CRG103:

I had the same problem. I have about  4 thousand miles on my o5 and it started to get hard to start after getting warm. I took it back to the dealer and they adjusted the fuel injection. What they told me was that Harley ships them within their tolerences and that soemtimes they are adjusted right on the edge of the specs. Mine was the sixth 05 (not all SEEG's) that they had to readjust the fuel injection.

They simply warm it up then put it on their computer and adjusted it. I just completed a 1100 mile ride through the Blue [smiley=beerchug.gif Ridge and it started fine every time since the adjustment.  [smiley=7.gif]

They did what?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Short of loading a different map there's not an "adjustment."  These things don't have mixture screws to tweak the fuel mixture like a carb.  If they didn't load a new map there's not any "adjustment" to be made.

On top of everything else with the quality of work that comes out of the dealerships now we have to worry about them not admitting the extent of problems they actually are fixing just so they can make it sound better or easier or more reassuring?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 12:01:19 PM »

He suggested compression releases.  

With the stock compression ratio on these motors being what it is it's nonsense to suggest we need compression releases.  Sounds like some suggesting a fix they hope might work because they don't know what the problem really is.  Y'know, if the suggested hope-it-might-work-kind-of-fix-cause-I-honestly-don't-know-what-the-problem-is repair is a simple one sometimes you have to do just that (make your best guess).  But when you can look up what the CR is on these you have to know better than to suggest to someone that he start drilling new holes in his motor  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 12:54:47 PM »

Twolane's right, that's a ridiculous diagnosis.  What do these things have, 9.0:1 compression or something like that?  Besides, compression releases are primarily for saving wear and tear on your starter, not improving the bike's ability to get fire in the hole.  As long as the engine is cranking over fine, you have another problem, not related to high-compression, 'cause these bikes don't have such a thing (stock).

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 01:01:58 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, 103CRG,
 Your timing is not correct.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 02:11:27 PM »

to get your engine off compression stroke after shutting down with a standard engine - with engine off just have it in 2nd gear - roll her backwards untill she is off compression - just saved you a couple hunderd dollars you can donate to run this site. big boys with big toys need compression releases so when they do fire it is much easier on the starter to get em to roll over & fired

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 04:42:19 PM »

I'm with Hubbard.  It sounds to me like the motor is pre-detonating, (just like your old camaro did every once in a while when you left the distributor loose so you could crank the timing up for the stoplight races) .  I would try a cold beer over the head (the motor head) before starting hot, and if/when that doesn't work, use the bottle to beat the dealer and make them fix the ECM.  The temp sensor is fried....  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 05:33:56 PM »

I'm with Hubbard.  It sounds to me like the motor is pre-detonating, (just like your old camaro did every once in a while when you left the distributor loose so you could crank the timing up for the stoplight races) .  I would try a cold beer over the head (the motor head) before starting hot, and if/when that doesn't work, use the bottle to beat the dealer and make them fix the ECM.  The temp sensor is fried....  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

If that's the case, wouldn't he have a 'code' light popping up on the dash? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 06:44:01 PM »

Duh....  yeah.  I didn't think of that.  But I also can't think of anything else that would cause it to backpressure so badly that it overcomes the starter motor...  Guess I'm out of guesses...  Wish I could listen to it so I understood the question better...

me too! [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2005, 11:05:48 PM »

With the stock compression ratio on these motors being what it is it's nonsense to suggest we need compression releases.  Sounds like some suggesting a fix they hope might work because they don't know what the problem really is.  Y'know, if the suggested hope-it-might-work-kind-of-fix-cause-I-honestly-don't-know-what-the-problem-is repair is a simple one sometimes you have to do just that (make your best guess).  But when you can look up what the CR is on these you have to know better than to suggest to someone that he start drilling new holes in his motor  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
well, excuuuuse me...I was repeating what the service guy told me...Im not a mechanic, apparently you all know more than I about this so I'll sit back and read [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 11:37:49 PM »

Not to speak for Twolane, but I think he was just trying to keep you from drilling holes in your heads based upon the suggestion you were given from your tech for solving the problem. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2005, 01:10:32 AM »

well, excuuuuse me...I was repeating what the service guy told me...Im not a mechanic, apparently you all know more than I about this so I'll sit back and read [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Tony, it wasn't anything you were saying or doing that I or anyone else was responding to or commenting in.  The response was to what was unfortunately poor advice given you by a tech.  

One of the benefits of an open forum such as this is the ability to bounce ideas off of others.  I've found that to be especially helpful on more than one occasion when I've wondered about something that I knew I wasn't familiar enough with to make a satisfactory judgement on.  Also, just something to consider, why would you post something on a discussion forum and then eithe expect it not to be discussed or be upset if it was?  You weren't being flamed in any way.  You were, instead, being extended the courtesy of other men taking the time to discuss an issue for your benefit and, seeminly, at your request.

Really Tony, none of my comments (nor from what I could read anyone else's) were in any way intended to speak poorly of or condescendingly to you.  They were instead just part of what is the standard type of disucssion around here.  That discussion, in this case, was intended to be for your benefit.  This is so because it really is the case that someone suggesting compression releases for an engine with the compression ratios that ours run is giving you advice that is expensive, incorrect, and permanently and unnecessarily damaging to the cylinder heads.  

That's the kind of thing you should want to know.  That's why you'd start a discussion such as that on a board such as this.  And that's why those of us responding would take the time to discuss it for you and with you.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 01:10:58 AM by twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2005, 01:13:17 AM »

Not to speak for Twolane, but I think he was just trying to keep you from drilling holes in your heads based upon the suggestion you were given from your tech for solving the problem. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

That was it entirely Brian.  Suggesting compression releases for a hard starting problem on a low compression engine is kind of like suggesting skin grafts to cover the holes in your body caused by a compound fracture.  It treats what you see but not what the problem is.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2005, 06:54:46 AM »

That was it entirely Brian.  Suggesting compression releases for a hard starting problem on a low compression engine is kind of like suggesting skin grafts to cover the holes in your body caused by a compound fracture.  It treats what you see but not what the problem is.

Now I just never thought about it like that!!!!!

BE SAFE

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2005, 10:14:02 AM »

Tony, it wasn't anything you were saying or doing that I or anyone else was responding to or commenting in.  The response was to what was unfortunately poor advice given you by a tech.  

One of the benefits of an open forum such as this is the ability to bounce ideas off of others.  I've found that to be especially helpful on more than one occasion when I've wondered about something that I knew I wasn't familiar enough with to make a satisfactory judgement on.  Also, just something to consider, why would you post something on a discussion forum and then eithe expect it not to be discussed or be upset if it was?  You weren't being flamed in any way.  You were, instead, being extended the courtesy of other men taking the time to discuss an issue for your benefit and, seeminly, at your request.

Really Tony, none of my comments (nor from what I could read anyone else's) were in any way intended to speak poorly of or condescendingly to you.  They were instead just part of what is the standard type of disucssion around here.  That discussion, in this case, was intended to be for your benefit.  This is so because it really is the case that someone suggesting compression releases for an engine with the compression ratios that ours run is giving you advice that is expensive, incorrect, and permanently and unnecessarily damaging to the cylinder heads.  

That's the kind of thing you should want to know.  That's why you'd start a discussion such as that on a board such as this.  And that's why those of us responding would take the time to discuss it for you and with you.

You are right, I misread your comments, I'll go stand in the corner.

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2005, 11:08:02 AM »

Tony

Our friend!

Don't go to the corner.

Go buy yourself a trailer and set yourself apart from all those other fruits and nuts out there.

It worked for me, Tater, 103T, BLM777, try it you will like it! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

just don't go to the corner

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2005, 11:57:06 AM »

You are right, I misread your comments, I'll go stand in the corner.

OH NO!!  Not THE CORNER!!!!  [smiley=shocked2.gif] [smiley=shocked2.gif]  That's where Tater and Chip plan their evil from.  Nobody should have to go to the The Corner.  

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2005, 11:58:23 AM »

Tony

Our friend!

Don't go to the corner.

Go buy yourself a trailer and set yourself apart from all those other fruits and nuts out there.

It worked for me, Tater, 103T, BLM777, try it you will like it! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

just don't go to the corner

See, I told you he was evil!  [smiley=laugh.gif]

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2005, 12:38:45 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Twolane,
 I cannot believe such a word as "EVIL" would flow from the lips of a Man of your caliber and position, to ascribe to the meek and humble natures of such non-competitive members as "Chip" and "Tater!" [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  Later--HUBBARD    
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2005, 12:40:50 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Twolane,
  I cannot believe such a word as "EVIL" would flow from the lips of a Man of your caliber and position, to ascribe to the meek and humble natures of such non-competitive members as "Chip" and "Tater!" [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  Later--HUBBARD    

Oh Geez, ok guys, I won't be posting here for a couple of days or so.  Gonna take me that long to stop laughing  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2005, 01:29:04 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Twolane,

I still can't get Potato Chips (tater chips) out of my head!
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2005, 03:41:24 PM »

I still can't get Potato Chips (tater chips) out of my head!

Bill, did you ever one which one (Tater or Chip) was Vinegar and which one was Onion?  [smiley=7.gif]

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2005, 04:07:32 PM »

Bill, did you ever one which one (Tater or Chip) was Vinegar and which one was Onion?  [smiley=7.gif]

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Twolane,
 You're full of yourself today, ain't cha', my boy? [smiley=sauer021.gif]  I think it's time your mentor, JCZ, read you some of the Leadership requirements from the most recent, Global Moderator's Handbook, under "How to pi$$ your Members off, and make them like it!"  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] Later--HUBBARD

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2005, 04:24:47 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Twolane,
  You're full of yourself today, ain't cha', my boy? [smiley=sauer021.gif]  I think it's time your mentor, JCZ, read you some of the Leadership requirements from the most recent, Global Moderator's Handbook, under "How to pi$$ your Members off, and make them like it!"  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] Later--HUBBARD

Ok, now we know which one is Vinegar  [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2005, 04:57:05 PM »

As crazy as it sounds I will ask does this happen all the time or when certain conditions exist? Such as when the fuel tank is almost empty? Is it possible that the fuel pump goes into vapor lock when over heated due to an empty fuel tank and the vtwin pressure cooker underneath it? Technically FI can't vapor lock but the fuel pump could possibly...

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2005, 06:10:55 PM »

TwoLane wrote

Ok, now we know which one is Vinegar  

Does that make me the onion [smiley=smilie_daumenneg.gif]

Where is JCZ at when we need him, TwoLane is out of control.

Hey TwoLane---------> [smiley=sauer019.gif]

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2005, 06:48:15 PM »

As crazy as it sounds I will ask does this happen all the time or when certain conditions exist? Such as when the fuel tank is almost empty? Is it possible that the fuel pump goes into vapor lock when over heated due to an empty fuel tank and the vtwin pressure cooker underneath it? Technically FI can't vapor lock but the fuel pump could possibly...

Tony I was leaning towards that line. What if an injector is leaking under increase fuel pressures in the line after the engine heats up? If one dealer has confessed the problem then I'm sure it's out there every where. I would love to know what kind of tweaking they did? Also it was stated (I think) that the motor doesn't want to turn over when warm. That also (as stated before) could be timing. Now how and why would the timing change after the bike was hot? The front cylinder has a temp sender and I know the bike runs richer to speed warm up when cold.

This is a good one but I'm sure Harley knows all about it.

BE SAFE

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2005, 07:07:20 PM »

Tony I was leaning towards that line. What if an injector is leaking under increase fuel pressures in the line after the engine heats up?

Had thought about that also DC but it doesn't explain all the symptoms.  Having 50% of the engine not prepared to run might make it turn over a few more times before firing IF you started cranking before giving the fuel pump time to repressurize the system.  And I"ve seen injectors leak down in automotive applications before but it's always been in the process of crapping out when it did.

Even were that the case, however, it doesn't account for the slow cranking.  Or at least the only way it would is if an an injector leaked so much fuel that a cylinder was nearly hydro-locked.  Now that's a scary thought.  Can you say "boom?"  But, hey, there's not that much fuel in the line and the pump shuts off new supply.  So that couldn't be it either.

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2005, 10:04:16 PM »

I would lean more toward an electrical problem with a slow or no turnover issue. Starter motor, battery, solenoid, or connections, particularly the ground. A hot battery with a loose or corroded connection could cause that. Also with a high current draw, low battery voltage, would cause a non ignition event. But that being said I would think you would be to pull a code to show this.  I dont know about a leaking FI, I would think it would have to be a gusher to cause a slow or no turnover.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2005, 10:25:09 PM »

You know guys I am really stumped on this one. It would be a lot easier if the bike was right here in front of us. I thought he said it wouldn't even crank till he tried it a few times. That could even be a starter relay or something in the ignition switch. I just worked on a 94 fatboy that did the same thing. The first thing I went after was connections then I thought starter. I jumped it under the seat around the relay and it would start everytime. Replaced the relay and it would still would not crank all of the time. Replaced the ignition switch and he has had no problem since. Go figure.

BE SAFE

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2005, 10:51:14 PM »

Replaced the relay and it would still would not crank all of the time. Replaced the ignition switch and he has had no problem since. Go figure.

BE SAFE

THE DAWG

The thing that's always hard for us (i.e., The bike's People) to remember is that when we thing "well, it could be ANY connection" it really could be any connection; no matter how physically small or how well screwed down.  What we always end up doing, however, is thinking it could be any connection and then still expecting either the biggest one or the one it happened to be "last time."  [smiley=7.gif]

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
  • One sweet ride and Red Hot!
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2005, 05:11:49 PM »

My first post to this forum and I have enjoyed the topics and information on the CVO's found here. I took delivery in Sept. 03 of an 04SEEG and have enjoyed many miles of trouble free riding. This bike has the Stage I SE A/C, SE slip-ons and has been remapped with the Race Tuner. This done in the spring of 2004. I'm planning to replace the exhaust later this season with something better than the current pipes/SEslip-on system. I'd like to keep or hopefully improve as much of the lowend torque as I can.  [smiley=1syellow1.gif]

My question. Lately this bike has been hard to re-start with a hot motor. Usually after less than a 15minute shut down. It can take several attempts before it will start. When cold or allowed to sit longer it fires right up on the first crank everytime no matter what the outside temp is. Idles well, performance and fuel mileage is great. Have used the Race Tuner and found no fault codes. I have good charging voltages (14 to 15v)with the system loaded and also use a bettery tender when not riding. Do I need a new battery or starter this soon?

Did you solve you engine problems yet?? My husbands last bike a 03 SE Road King did the same sort of thing. We would stop for gas and when we started off again the engine wouldn't start right up. It took several attempts and would make one heck of a noise restarting. Kinda like something inside the engine was comming apart. Our dealer said that this wasn't uncomman and there was nothing he could do about it. It did work as you said just fine if it had time to cool down a bit. Still my husband thought there was some sort of problem. His new SE E-Glide doesn't have that problem and a friends 2 year old SE bike has never done it either. :) Sandy
Sandy :)

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2005, 06:58:48 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, CRG103,
 I've read all of the responses to your topic, and it appears to me you have yet to be informed of a permanent solution to your "starting" situation.  Trust me, this will resolve it!  Keep a can of Starting Fluid, (ether), at your disposal while riding.  One slight compression of that miraculous vapor into the inside of your air cleaner will result in  [smiley=shocked2.gif]sure-fire starting, everytime! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  There endenth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD    

103CRG

• Cobalt gypsy
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2005, 09:59:26 PM »

Red Hot,

I found an answer to the hot starting problem. It's the fuel injection. I tried a few combinations of starting fuel and timing with the SERT and basically found out the injection was too rich. Have since done a few hundred miles in 90 degree heat here in NE (Fla. weather?) with multiple hot starts and it's fired right up on the first crank.. The starter sounds like new again. Since your in the SE, I thought it could be useful to others on the site. Keep the Shiney side up.  [smiley=happy.gif]

CRG  

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
  • One sweet ride and Red Hot!
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2005, 07:11:59 AM »

Red Hot,

I found an answer to the hot starting problem. It's the fuel injection. I tried a few combinations of starting fuel and timing with the SERT and basically found out the injection was too rich. Have since done a few hundred miles in 90 degree heat here in NE (Fla. weather?) with multiple hot starts and it's fired right up on the first crank.. The starter sounds like new again. Since your in the SE, I thought it could be useful to others on the site. Keep the Shiney side up.  [smiley=happy.gif]

Great that you solved the problem. Nice to know in case it happens with one of our two new SE bikes. Our dealer never tried much in helping my husband find what was causing his problem with the SE bike he traded in. It sure sounded a lot like the problem you were having. I'll make a note of this just in case it happens again. Thanks a bunch.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  Sandy

CRG  

« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 07:15:29 AM by Red_Hot_SE_Fat_Boy »
Sandy :)

MAVERICK

• Senior CVO Member
  • IN GOD WE TRUST! ALL OTHERS PAY CASH !!
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2005, 04:39:39 PM »

MAN SOMETHING AINT RIGHT!!!  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=oops.gif] [smiley=shocked2.gif]
Life is too short. I like to slide in sideways whenever I can with a marqarita in one hand and a fine babe ridin bitch, screamin Oh!! what a ride!!

Remember ride it like you stole it and bone it like you own it !!!

103CRG

• Cobalt gypsy
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2005, 08:50:39 AM »

MAN SOMETHING AINT RIGHT!!!

Just logged in a 12hr ride Sunday, 95+ temps here. So far so good, starts right up.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
I modified the Stage I start fuel profile on the SERT. Less fuel from 120F on up. The heat management curve adds more fuel in this temp range as well. Didn't want to change that. I originally saw high injector timing during the crank cycle. And got kickback before it would start. I'm sure this has caused some starter pinon/ring damage if not the clutch as well. But it's still under warrenty and behaving itself for now... It appears I'm not alone here. I agree with your statement. This AINT RIGHT.
[smiley=thumbsdown.gif]          
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 21 queries.