Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: '03 SERK vs '09 FLHR  (Read 2183 times)

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
'03 SERK vs '09 FLHR
« on: November 18, 2009, 02:12:11 PM »

I'm thinking of trading my '03 SERK for a new '09 Standard Road King.  Anyone out there recently gone this route, trades for a newer non CVO bike?  Any thoughts and/or comments?  Thanks.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
Re: '03 SERK vs '09 FLHR
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 03:08:24 PM »

I'm thinking of trading my '03 SERK for a new '09 Standard Road King.  Anyone out there recently gone this route, trades for a newer non CVO bike?  Any thoughts and/or comments?  Thanks.

Your 103 is a good motor. What are looking to gain with the trade? I'm not saying its a bad idea. Just asking!

I really like the older scooters as they do not seem to have the same issues as the newer scoots. Then again, I'm bias because of my numerous electrical issues. Replaced:
TSSM
Speedo
ECM
MAP sensor

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 03:10:59 PM »

Guess I'm looking to gain a new bike, a 6 speed tranny, and the new suspension for a better ride.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 03:14:47 PM »

Guess I'm looking to gain a new bike, a 6 speed tranny, and the new suspension for a better ride.

Traxxion AK-20 cartridges for the forks, bitubo shocks, and a 6-speed for your SERK will get you all those things MUCH CHEAPER than buying a new one, and you still have your CVO that way with the older SE 103!!! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 03:21:24 PM »

I hear ya on that. As I said, I'm a little gun shy right now on Harley's quality control. I'm not Harley bashing as I love em.

6 speed is nice on trips. I find the new frame sits a little to high for me. JMO. I would miss that 103 motor. Good luck with your decision brother.

JW

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 03:31:38 PM »

Traxxion AK-20 cartridges for the forks, bitubo shocks, and a 6-speed for your SERK will get you all those things MUCH CHEAPER than buying a new one, and you still have your CVO that way with the older SE 103!!! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:

I'd have to agree with Howie. Once you get it you'll want to upgrade thing, and spend more money on top of the difference in price. If it were me I'd keep it and look at some good upgrades, shocks, new bushings, 6 speed, front end work,maybe some motor work, and I'd add a brace to stop rear steer. You could have a really nice riding bike and save some money, I like the looks of the 03's really stand out. The only way I'd get rid of it is if you were having constant problems, just my opinion.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 03:42:27 PM »

I don't have a Road King nor have I ever owned one but my $.02 is what ever you get you will be spending more money than intended to make it the way you want it.  That added to the price of what you will pay in a trade, I believe will cost more.  If you are looking to get something new or you just want a change I can't fault you for that. You might kick yourself later but you won't know until you do it.  I guess it all depends on what you are looking to do or gain.  Like stated above there are many upgrades you can do to tighten the bike up and make it ride like new or better.  I hate being in the boat you are in and wish you luck in your decision.

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 03:46:05 PM »

You also have taxes,  higher insurance, and registration.   :-\

Craig

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 03:53:38 PM »

Keep it, do some upgrades to the suspension and trans like others have said and you still have a CVO. With the new one you will have to start all over again with making it yours...chrome, accessories, etc. Cheaper in the long run to keep yours....

Or do you just want to buy a new bike?  Can't always fight that urge...... :nixweiss:

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 06:01:27 AM »

The SERK really doesn't ride bad if you remove the lowered shocks and replace with normal ones.  I paid $22 on ebay for some take off air shocks and it greatly improved the ride on mine.  The lowered ones just don't allow enough suspension travel.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 08:25:07 AM »

the new frame is worth the upgrade to a 09. keep the serk and get a stable mate for her. ;D

chrome won't get ya home, but it'll damn sure get ya leid.

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.