Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "stuff happens"  (Read 1484 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
"stuff happens"
« on: July 01, 2006, 11:23:18 PM »

Had the bike in for a warranty replacement of the lower fairing cover for the ignition and accessory switches and a broken fuel door latch (2nd time for that).

While waiting I was in the showroom trying on some sunglasses, conversing with the helpful "sales associate" (can't say counter girl, right?)

The SA looks over my shoulder as the dealer principal was motioning her.

her .. do you need to talk to him?
DP .. yes

So I say "whats up Jeff?, having worked in new car dealers for 18 years I know that look"

DP Jeff .. um (pause) I think I have to buy you a gas tank.

Seems the tech working on the bike dropped the ignition switch on the tank and put a divot in the paint.
Although when I went in to see the bike he now had the tank cover in place.
I think the DP was more upset then me, and that was before he knew the price!

Anyway, they ordered a new tank and it'll probably be in in about 6 months.

The thing that really bothered me was not that it happened or that it could have been prevented but that the mechanic didn't apologize, that would have taken little effort and gone a long way.

Did you know that if you chip the paint right on a cherry bike that you see bright silver?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
Re: "stuff happens"
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 01:38:51 AM »

damn
 :'(

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 02:24:36 AM »

Duane, sorry for the unfortunate incident.  Though it's pleasant to hear of the dealership both standing up and making it right.  No one was there but you to see the incident but one thought comes to mind before thinking too harshly of the tech for not speaking up.  

He might have just been reamed.  He might have already been told to keep his mouth shut since the boss was speaking for the incident.  Or he might have just been completely and totally embarassed.

Whatever the circumstances, however, most glad that any damage was handled so candidly and easily and, perhaps even more importantly, that any damage that happened to your bike happened while the bike was sitting still.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 07:33:18 AM »

One thing you might ask your dealer is why his techs don't use a tank cover when working on bikes.  In my dealer's service dept a full cover goes over the tank when they put it on the rack.  Fenders also.  We should all find something to cover these areas when working on our scotts.  Doo doo occurs.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 07:33:41 AM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 08:34:13 AM »

Hey Duane!

I'm sorry to hear of the damage on your bike.  Remember though that we are all human and make mistakes.  I have made several myself..(well, more than that).  The important thing is that they brought it to your attention and comitted to correct the problem without you having to find it first, then make demands.

I read in another thread of a guy that had his fender bashed and a shoddy repair was done without his knowledge.  I'm sure that would have pizzed you off even more.  Just put a little dab of black touch up on it and dream of the new tank you will have in 6 months.  It will probably look better than the one you had!

And your dealer likely learned an important lesson! :-[

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 12:27:00 PM »

Porthole,
            Sorry to hear of your unfortunate mishap. Yes, candy colors have either silver or gold base coats. Have to say, you have a good dealer there. Beags and I have had similar mishaps with our dealer and while we've gotten varying degrees of satisfaction in settling the issue, neither of us has ever had our dealer step up to the plate the way yours did. That's straight up.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

The covers will not prevent dents, only scratches.

As to the tech apologizing, no offense dude, but I have to disagree with that in a big way.  I'm sure the guy didn't do it on purpose and the owner made good and apologized. As a guy who worked his way up from lowly grunt to Sr. Management in my company, I have to say that making the tech apologize to the customer is a real chitty way to treat an employee. I am sure the tech got reamed by the Service manager, the General Manager AND the owner. Making him apologize to you would have humiliated him. Come on Dude, yes I'd be a little pissed, but how is stripping the man of his pride going to do anything positive to correct the problem ? Sorry to be so damn blunt Dude, but that's just wrong. IMO
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 12:30:05 PM by SPIDERMAN »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 12:36:16 PM »

The only variant on your theme I'd offer Brian is that there's a difference between making the guy do it and him just standing up and doing it on his own.  

I agree that the guy had likely already been taken to the proverbial woodshed.  Even more than that; once the dealership's owner or GM had spoken and apologized he was (in every way) speaking for the dealership writ large.

None of that in any way kept the tech from just quickly leaning over, sticking out his hand and saying "hey, sorry man."  That he didn't is, really, no big deal.  In fact he might have already been told to just keep his mouth shut.  But in the same circumstance had we been that tech you or I would have likely tried to find a spot to shake the guys hand and just say a quick "sorry."

jdracing

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 12:41:58 PM »

Duane, sorry to hear about the ding.  As far as timing, my cherry tank was damaged in February of this year and I ordered a new one from Chicago HD.  Took exactly three weeks from the time of order until it showed up on my doorstep.  They told me to expect 8-12 weeks, but it didn't take nearly that long.  I suspect yours will be along sooner as well.  
Jeff
Fremont, CA

2005 Cherry SEEG, V&H Dresser Duals, Samson Rolled Thunder Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker, and Race Tuner

2005 Sierra Red/Silver Dyna Low Rider (Wife's ride), SE Tapered Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker, and Stage

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 12:44:17 PM »

Duane, sorry to hear about the ding.  As far as timing, my cherry tank was damaged in February of this year and I ordered a new one from Chicago HD.  Took exactly three weeks from the time of order until it showed up on my doorstep.  They told me to expect 8-12 weeks, but it didn't take nearly that long.  I suspect yours will be along sooner as well.  

Duane, actually you are screwed.  Jeff got the last painted spare in inventory.  You are gonna be waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting...... ;D

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 01:15:27 PM »

Duane,
Sorry to hear of this mishap. :( As others have said, good thing is dealer owned up to it, and didn't try to hide it. Hopefully your parts will be in before you know it. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 01:26:57 PM »

Duane, actually you are screwed.  Jeff got the last painted spare in inventory.  You are gonna be waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting...... ;D

Ooooooooo  That's cold Don, real cold;  so why am I laughing ?  ;D

Porthole,
            If you don't have one already, ask your dealer for a touch up kit. No it won't make the damage go away, but it sure will make it less noticeable. I'd even prevail upon the dealer to give me the kit free of charge.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 01:31:26 PM by SPIDERMAN »

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2006, 09:57:07 AM »

I am sorry to hear about the damage, but super impressed that the dealer stepped up to the plate, was honest about it and is going to make it all right.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] I have had more than my fair share of damage done to my bike at the hands of the folks at the dealership and them taking the first step - admitting a problem - then willing to make it right, at my convenience, not theirs, this has made the little hurdles easier to accept.  A couple of problems were not handled that way and I had to pay for the fixing of the problems and that is much harder to accept - even almost two years later.  Ride it with a ding in the tank, knowing a brand spanking new one is on order. And don't forget to have fun........... ;)

And No Twolanerider - Not the kind of spanking you are thinking of, Not even for $2.00. ;D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 10:50:38 AM by Mrs._WeCVO »

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2006, 02:02:27 PM »

Of course, you could always buy one of those quirky, refer magnets with the catchy phrases on them and simply "stick" it on the tank to cover the ding... :o

you know...the ones with the positive sayings on them that you see at all the rallies....good one of course would be "chit happens"
That's always a good look!  

Cheers, J

Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2006, 08:02:34 PM »

Duane,

I am sorry to hear about your paint getting chipped it really sucks, but you should get a tank pretty quick now that they have moved on to new year models.  

However on another note having seen this in more places than I would like to personally admit on my own bike that you can see more than just silver, you can also see gold, black and depending on the curing on the plastic fiberglass grey too :) Then I also found this very very deep red color ... wait that was blood nm .. moving on ....   Downside is I no longer have my pretty cherry to console me.    Good news is that I still have the faster pumpkin in the garage :) hehehe.  (I apologize up front I have to laugh at this now cause it hurts to much not too.)

Hope it comes in soon and pls dont try and find all the other under coats the way I did it, it turns out to be expensive and very painful :)

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 09:15:21 PM »

Raisin pie to the dealer for steppin up. As for the second time on the fuel door. My push button thingies have also had a sorry record, both on this as well as the push buttons on my previous ultra. Got into the habit of pressing on the cover before I push the button and haven't had any problems since. Good luck on the paint and hope it arrives soon.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 09:15:46 PM by ultrabluz »

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.